the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

horizontal violence

Go down 
+6
WineHippie
Linda
micjer
Anchor
sky otter
izzy
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
izzy

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2009-03-07

horizontal violence Empty
PostSubject: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 6:34 pm

is anyone aware of this term .. it is suppressed group behaviour .. nurses do it to nurses / women do it to women .. it is very destructive ,, any idea why people do this from an energetic perspective .. i think they are vampiring energy ? what do you think,,,
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 7:34 pm

wave
Izzy
my first thought was to ask you what the hell you've been drinkin... but then i thought i would see what i would get if i googled the term

this crap has been around forever..they have just given it a new name...probably somebodys' relative needed a job defining it..sigh bump

hamp

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=+horizontal+violence&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

By Josie Roy, MSN, RN

Posted on: December 6, 2007

View Comments (57)Print ArticleEmail Article ShareFacebook

a Silent killer has made its way into nursing and slowly eaten away at the core of who we are as nurses. This epidemic is becoming so wide spread that everyone from administration to nurse's aides are affected by it. It is the epidemic of horizontal violence.

The term "horizontal violence" (sometimes called "lateral violence") is quite new to many individuals but the behavior it describes is not. The term was developed to describe distasteful behavior nurses sometimes portray toward colleagues.

Horizontal violence takes on many different characteristics. Simply put, it is overt and covert nonphysical hostility, such as criticism, sabotage, undermining, infighting, scape-goating or finger pointing and bickering.

Who is harmed by horizontal violence?

They are individuals who have felt ridiculed, demeaned by a colleague or doctor, and even asked to do something they have not yet even learned how to do only to be left completely humiliated for not knowing how to do it. It affects new hires, new graduates, and nurses who have worked at a facility for a long time.

New Grads

One of the groups most frequently victimized by this is new nursing graduates.

It is crucial for experienced staff to embrace the new grads and support and encourage them as a group. The first year of nursing is an opportunity to achieve great confidence in and establish self-esteem on the job.

New graduates are inexperienced, and because they lack the skills and knowledge necessary to stand up for themselves, they often are yelled at, ridiculed and dehumanized. I have witnessed this psychological abuse first hand as a nurse educator.

Unfortunately, new graduates accept this behavior as a rite of passage and move on, only to mimic it later on, as it is what they have learned from their predecessors. Nurses need to become aware of who it is they are affecting and begin to develop new behaviors that will benefit each other's self-esteem.

Vicious Cycle

In order to make people aware of this issue, someone must begin reporting it. But what if it is never reported and the behavior continues?

This is the determining factor for alleviating horizontal violence in the nursing profession. Individuals need to begin to report it and feel safe in doing so without retaliation.

Horizontal violence is so severely underreported because opinions surrounding horizontal violence are subjective in nature. Each us tolerates the behaviors of others a little bit differently. However, if the behavior is in any way offensive to you, or undermines you and your job in any way, then it probably is horizontal violence and you need to report it to your manager.

Secondly, there also is a greater fear of retaliation from the perpetrator. Speaking up is one thing, but having to face the person everyday at a new job after reporting them may be a task that many are not willing to take on. As a result, more individuals will begin their careers in an unsupportive work environment, and the cycle will continue.

What Have You Done?

The negative impact of horizontal violence is really quite impressive and obvious.

If you think about the nursing shortage today and wonder why we are losing nurses to other professions, or wonder why the new graduate or new employee that was just hired has left so soon, take a good hard look at yourself and the people around you and begin to imagine what it must have been like to learn something new all over again.

Were you supportive? Did you encourage that person to gain and develop new skills and offer learning experiences to help the person grow as a nurse? Or did you create an environment that was infected with horizontal violence?

Wouldn't it be great to know that when you were asked to orient someone into your work environment, you were able to give them a healthy and positive outlook toward the job and the environment?

Wouldn't it be great to know the new nurses on your unit would enjoy their learning experience so much that they would be more likely to feel like staying in that job because the work environment was so supportive?

These new nurses are going to relieve the pressures experienced nurses feel everyday. They are the future. Because of them, there will be one more person on the unit to help in a crisis, one more person to lend a hand when one is needed, and one more person to call when the census goes up and you need help.

Horizontal Violence

Next >
1 | 2

http://nursing.advanceweb.com/editorial/content/editorial.aspx?cc=102740
Back to top Go down
izzy

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 4:10 am

so you say it is crap ... you dont think it exists ?

I think it is very real and on an energetic level it is vampiric .. actually a grab for energy ..

I see it in all walks of life but particularoly with women .. suppressed groups ..
Back to top Go down
izzy

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 4:12 am

and i am very interested in group behaviour and why people ' bully ' why people feel the need to ' disempower ' and ' put down ' others ...

you see it everywhere .. i need to understand what makes people so mean
Back to top Go down
izzy

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 4:13 am

and why others support their behaviour ... ie these bullies only get away with their behaviour because the majority of the group supports them ..

I have personally witnessed this in the last two workplaces I have been in.. and you know this is what is going on on a macro level ...
Back to top Go down
izzy

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 5:41 am

i think the question of cruelty and the question of power and control .. one over the other are one of the most important questions that mankind needs to ask at this time .

This is often manifested in little ways but the mindset it comes from is ...memememem .. what is right for me ... not what is RIGHT ...

i have heard all sorts of stories that justify war / violence / killing sentient beings / killing gaia ... and it all starts with a mind set of me me me .. I want control / i want power / give me more ..

hence horizontal violence / bullyin g .. are one of the least evolved mind sets and if we could change such behaviour on a micro scale .. see how the world would change
Back to top Go down
Anchor
Anchor

Number of posts : 1441
Humor : Some
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 7:04 am

izzy wrote:
so you say it is crap ... you dont think it exists ?

I think it is very real and on an energetic level it is vampiric .. actually a grab for energy ..

I see it in all walks of life but particularoly with women .. suppressed groups ..

She meant "crap" as in "this negative stuff" not in a disbelieving/dismissive sense

Of course it is real, another manifestation is passive aggression - a lot of which is seen of different forums.

When I see films about modern schools depicting the cruelty and cliquishness - I think I know where it comes from.

Basically they are all very basic STS behavior patterns, reinforced by social groups/habits - and harsh catalyst if you are on the receiving end.

I see it at work and try to help the people who are hurt by it learn ways to defend themselves.

A..
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

Number of posts : 5325
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 7:12 am

I believe it is called peer pressure and it starts very early in life. No one likes to be the kid in kindegarden sitting by themselves because they are not chosen to play a game or ridiculed because they are a little different. Life can be very evil.
Back to top Go down
Linda
Linda

Number of posts : 2496
Humor : Of Course!

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 8:26 am

We can help change cruel behavior by first working on ourselves and setting an example.
Maybe post this next to the coffee machine or lunch room at your workplace for a start?

The Paradoxical Commandments
by Dr. Kent M. Keith

1. People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.

2. If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.

3. If you are successful, you win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.

4. The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.

5. Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.

6. The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.

7. People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

8. What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

9. People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

10. Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.

"Love and only love will endure. Hate is everything you think it is. Love and only love will break it down. Love and only love."
--Neil Young
Back to top Go down
http://wheresoulsreside.com/
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 10:39 am

flower

thanks Anchor..that is what i meant...it's old crap that has been around forever..

it's the old tribe mentality..people grasp onto things that either make you part of their group so that they feel safer...or not part of their group so they can pick on you...
it is division of - same to same and different is the enemy rather than seeing the wonder and beauty in the differences and celebrating that..
they are just calling it by a different name here ..but it is the same old crap that has been going on forever

and i agree with Linda that we have to start with ourselves...we are all a work in progress and i think most here are awake to that fact and practicing sto (service to others) daily
as well as finding joy in every moment ..focus on the joy to change things..of course we also need to do more but it's a good first step in my opinion

i really like the four agreements by Jon Miguel Ruiz

1. Be Impeccable With Your Word
Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.

2. Don't Take Anything Personally
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering.

3. Don't Make Assumptions
Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

4. Always Do Your Best
Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse and regret.

mexican wave
Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 1:24 pm

wow, otter, another one
in addition to linda's list
for the watercooler bulletin board

all words to live by
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
izzy

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 6:02 pm

FROM : http://prayerfoundation.org/mother_teresa_do_it_anyway.htm

The verses below reportedly were written on the wall of Mother Teresa's home for children in Calcutta, India, and are widely attributed to her.

Some sources say that the words below were written on the wall in Mother Teresa's own room. In any case, their association with Mother Teresa and the Missionaries of Charity has made them popular worldwide, expressing as they do, the spirit in which they lived their lives.

They seem to be based on a composition originally by Kent Keith, but much of the second half has been re-written in a more spiritual way. Both versions are shown below. ___________________________________________

1. The version found written on the wall in Mother Teresa's home for children in Calcutta:

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

-this version is credited to Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
izzy

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 6:07 pm

YES i LOVE THESE words too .. and i agree this behaviour has been around for eons and I observe it in the workplace AND AROUND ME , but i dont think it is enough to just offer support to the victims I think that the perpetrators should be challenged ..

otherwise we just support those who are upset and hurt but collude by default to allow these bullies to continue.

I would love the organisation I work for to really really have a zero tolerance to this bullying behaviour where to control is more important then letting individuals blossom..

I think as I have said earlier it is one of the most IMPORTANT issues .. and it permeates all levels of society, in many areas such as politics / work / home etc ..

and i dont agree taht we should let these bullies go I think we should hold them to account .. always
Back to top Go down
izzy

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 6:10 pm

Quote :
2. Don't Take Anything Personally
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering.

this is an interesting one and it is one I have problems dealing with .. i think on an esoteric level there is an energy vamp thing happening when someone attacks you , verbally or otherwise, so it is not about forgiving but reclaiming power .. to a certain degree
Back to top Go down
nogroz
nogroz

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 12:03 am

Life is a challenge... It is MEANT to be a challenge. The more problems you solve, the more battles you fight... the more the Universe will toss at you...

It is how you meet those challenges that will define who you are and make your mark on the Universe (or with your God)

This 'new' description of a phenomena is merely a new name for human nature. This aggressive nature is built into our very being. Sure we can control it and most do on a day to day basis... Imagine what it would be like in the world if everyone gave into their caveman lust and get the club out to make a point.

Watch the parents of a Little League game...

The problem is that the more the population increases, the more we are in closer contact with many people... and the more you will see this happen... especially in times of peace as there is no outlet.

What we need is a good Alien invasion... then watch how fast the Human race pools together as one to meet the common enemy... instead of focusing that energy on their peers and co workers
Back to top Go down
Anchor
Anchor

Number of posts : 1441
Humor : Some
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 1:42 am

izzy wrote:
I would love the organisation I work for to really really have a zero tolerance to this bullying behaviour where to control is more important then letting individuals blossom..

Actually, fuck[1] organizations - they are what started this shit in the first place.

Quote :
I think we should hold them to account .. always

I used to think that too. It seems pointless to me - ever played whack-a-mole - imagine the game never ending...

I think that this style of fixing things is "old-paradigm" mode. Love is the force required to transform them. If its revenge you want, then you find that revenge is not yours to have - unless you dish it out in their mode - in which case you just went to the dark side in order to dish it out. Ultimately these people are part of you.

A..

[1] See zuni, you are a bad influence on me :)
Back to top Go down
izzy

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 4:44 am

well i think we HAVE to hold them to account if we dont we are colluding with them ...

have you noticed that at work .. they dont pick on everyone .. in fact they can be charming to many .. NO to change this world we have to stand up and make changes ... not just turn our bakc ..

It is cowardly to turn away and collusion .. These people are not part of me that is where we disagree anchor .. I dont think everything outside me is me ..

I think that there is a joint consciousness yes .. but it is polluted by many .. and that pollution affects many ...

and these bullies regularly poison the ether ... and even the purest angel .. would feel their poison ..

all that do nothing turnaway is new age manipulation so that you / we turnaway and allow atricities ... just as long as we are ok ..
Back to top Go down
izzy

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 6:53 am

nogroz wrote:
This 'new' description of a phenomena is merely a new name for human nature. This aggressive nature is built into our very being. Sure we can control it and most do on a day to day basis... Imagine what it would be like in the world if everyone gave into their caveman lust and get the club out to make a point.

Watch the parents of a Little League game...

oh agreed agreed .. i know it is an age old phenomena still it fascinates me .. and nurses well are nt they supposed to have compassion and they are actually quite brutul and viscious with each other .. a worry

I think there are people who are plugged into the matrix and fight for energy .. horizontal violence and people who plug into teh source .. NO need for horizontal violence

I find people who are plugged into the matrix only quite intolerable to be around because their survival strategy is nicking energy .. through violent / turbulant / subversive exchanges ..

I think the world right now is separating .. polarising .. those who are going deeper into maya at the other end those who are plugging into the eternal source

but that does not mean we should collude with those in maya ..
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 7:37 am

flower

well izzy

i think some of us 'fighters' have changed the way we fight..and it might look like we have become pacifists.....
and while i agree these bullies need to be stopped i don't think using their tactics to stop them is the answer
..which is what i think anchor was saying..

we are working at solving the problem in a different way....one that you obviously don't agree with..and that is fine..
personally i have never found getting into someones face as a way to stop them from fighting..
don't get me wrong that used to be what i did.. but not for a long time
now
i tryly believe that "if you take nothing personally" you can get much further to helping that person realize what they are doing

if you try to fight with bullies you just up the anty and esculate the problem
if you were to see them as a victim of a victim (Louise Hay) and step back and just ask
why are you doing that..or this?....you may be very surprise at what happens next

almost every person acting out is in fear of something and covering it up..some know it and some just feel it
but when given the chance most will accept the hand you hold out for change
just be careful some times they will substitue leaning on you to bullying...
then you have a whole other problem

and really i think "take nothing personally" works great

sunny
Back to top Go down
Linda
Linda

Number of posts : 2496
Humor : Of Course!

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 11:55 am

sky otter wrote:

i have never found getting into someones face as a way to stop them from fighting..

Actually, it can stop them from fighting.
Just the other day I walked out of a restaurant when I heard shouting behind me and saw 2 big teenagers pounce on a kid bashing his face in as they pushed him up against the door.

I ran towards them, put on my meanest face and demanded in my loudest voice, HEY, HEY, HEY ,STOP IT!!!...... STOP IT RIGHT NOW!!!

They looked at me in shock for a moment and even though I was much smaller, they knew I was going right in between them to stop this fight no matter what. I saw other people close by doing nothing so I just went with my instincts.
The punks ran off.

I believe when we see something that is not right in front of us, we should immediately stand up. Even though we come from a loving place, we should try to protect someone else from bullies.
There WILL be some scary situations coming up soon enough and we must show that we will never back down or be victims. swordsman
Back to top Go down
http://wheresoulsreside.com/
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 12:36 pm

flower

ah linda
i was talking about work place bullies...

as far as street bullies..i'm with you..dive in
Back to top Go down
zuni
zuni

Number of posts : 1319
Humor : does a fat kid miss cake ???

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 12:54 pm

Anchor wrote:

Actually, fuck[1] organizations - they are what started this shit in the first place.

A..

anchor......your word choice makes it impossible to misinterprate your opinion....... good job btw i totally agree with your statement...........

Linda wrote:

I believe when we see something that is not right in front of us, we should immediately stand up. Even though we come from a loving place, we should try to protect someone else from bullies.
There WILL be some scary situations coming up soon enough and we must show that we will never back down or be victims. swordsman

i agree 100 %
we must immediately stand up and protect others......during my travels i have stood up for old folks......woman.....and children and stopped them from being abused......we must not allow others to be bullied.......
Back to top Go down
izzy

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 1:22 pm

sky otter wrote:
flower

well izzy

iwe are working at solving the problem in a different way....one that you obviously don't agree with..and that is fine..
personally i have never found getting into someones face as a way to stop them from fighting..
don't get me wrong that used to be what i did.. but not for a long time
now
i :

actually I did not SAY HOW i would deal with bullies and vampires, all I said is that we should challenge them and not collude and allow their behaviour to ocntinue .. please dont assume my intent from a few short posts flower

I NO WAY SAID TO GET IN SOMEONES FACE .. however people can be challenged in non aggressive non confrontational ways, and people can be put in positions that make them consider their actions and people can have the consequences of their actions explained to them .. these are all good 3d ways of dealing with the problem.

I get alot of confrontational energy from your post that is giving me palpitaions so obviously what I am saying is pressing buttons ?

Last edited by izzy on Sun May 24, 2009 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
izzy

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 1:25 pm

Quote :
[quote="LindaI believe when we see something that is not right in front of us, we should immediately stand up. Even though we come from a loving place, we should try to protect someone else from bullies.
[/quote]

i absolutely agree with you linda .. if you saw a dog being kicked or a child being abused would you walk away ? Obviously you would not and NOR would I .. but unfortunately most in our societies would ..

so yes courage and love and love can be fierce .. especially when it is tinged with power from michaels sword
Back to top Go down
izzy

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 1:32 pm

Anchor wrote:
izzy wrote:

Quote :
I think we should hold them to account .. always

I used to think that too. It seems pointless to me - ever played whack-a-mole - imagine the game never ending...

I think that this style of fixing things is "old-paradigm" mode. Love is the force required to transform them. If its revenge you want, then you find that revenge is not yours to have - unless you dish it out in their mode - in which case you just went to the dark side in order to dish it out. Ultimately these people are part of you.

A..

[1] See zuni, you are a bad influence on me :)

well i do not want revenge what made you say that anchor ?

why cant we have a discussion on this subject without accusations of my intent that are incorrect ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: horizontal violence   horizontal violence Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

horizontal violence
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
the force is withIN you !!!!!! :: General Discussions :: General Discussions-
Jump to: