the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is the internet bringing out your dark side?

Go down 
+5
Gerardgeert
skywatcher
Northern Boy
Biggles
Reunite
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Reunite
Reunite

Number of posts : 4993
Humor : Dry and Wet
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Is the internet bringing out your dark side?  Empty
PostSubject: Is the internet bringing out your dark side?    Is the internet bringing out your dark side?  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 9:14 pm

Interesting article, as it pertains to a few online forums...lol
It covers ONLINE EGOMANIA, CYBER BULLYING and THINK BEFORE YOU CLICK to name a few.

Do you send emails and texts without thinking? Or impulsively splurge online? A new book says technology is changing our personalities - for the worse
By MARIANNE POWER
Last updated at 11:27 AM on 27th June 2011

Back in the good old days, celebrities used to get drunk at awards ceremonies, hurl insults and occasionally punches at each other. But these days the internet is the virtual bar where they brawl.
Just recently, columnist Julie Burchill accused Lily Allen of being an ‘over-privileged cry-baby’. The pop star retaliated on Twitter by accusing Julie of being ‘an ignorant and bitter old troll’.
Piers Morgan and Rio Ferdinand traded blows for four hours on Twitter while Wayne Rooney responded to a Liverpool fan’s insults by tweeting: ‘I’ll put you to sleep in ten seconds.’

But it’s not just celebrities who are using social networking sites for public slanging matches. Cuckolded plumber Ian Puddick was cleared of harassment after he used the internet to circulate graphic details of his wife’s affair.
This might be an extreme example, but it seems online spite is a growing trend.
My friend Sarah was horrified at being described in a chatroom as ‘facially hideous’, ‘ugly’ and ‘chunky’ after her photo was used in an online article.

SNIP

So why is the internet bringing out the worst in us? Elias Aboujaoude, a doctor at Stanford University’s school of medicine in the U.S., believes it is transforming our personalities. He warns many of us are developing ‘e-personalities’ that are like the worst, drunken versions of ourselves.
‘Our e-personalities are an uninhibited version of who we are, a collection of personality traits that make us more child-like, impulsive, darker and narcissistic,’ he says

Continue HERE
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

Number of posts : 5650
Humor : Some things just aren't funny.
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Is the internet bringing out your dark side?    Is the internet bringing out your dark side?  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 10:10 pm

I believe it is because people can portray whatever they want with no fear of being physically abused. Put it this way, you could be a skinny, puny little wimp but be a fearless bully acting out all sorts of things behind the safety of the computer screen.
Back to top Go down
Northern Boy
Northern Boy

Number of posts : 1236
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Is the internet bringing out your dark side?    Is the internet bringing out your dark side?  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 10:11 pm

The next question that comes to mind is it because of what we have found out ? i would be leaning that way as you can guess
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

PostSubject: Re: Is the internet bringing out your dark side?    Is the internet bringing out your dark side?  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 10:14 pm

Northern Boy wrote:
The next question that comes to mind is it because of what we have found out ? i would be leaning that way as you can guess

Very true Northern, it brings out my anger and frustration.
Back to top Go down
skywatcher
skywatcher

Number of posts : 1827
Humor : yes lots
Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Is the internet bringing out your dark side?    Is the internet bringing out your dark side?  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 12:36 am

So many have turned their anonymity into a bullying technique. Thing is, you can be whatever and whoever you want to be on the internet, even a totally different person than who you really are in person. An alter-ego even. Some even use it as a way of venting frustration because at the end of the day, you won't even meet them face to face, (unless you choose to), therefore, an excellent vehicle for this ends.

I know a lot of recipients take in every nasty word like a sponge and let it get to them, but think for a second, what are these bullies going to do...TYPE YOU TO DEATH!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://chemtrailawareness.forumotion.co.uk
Gerardgeert
Gerardgeert

Number of posts : 352
Humor : Niccolò Machiavelli
Registration date : 2011-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Is the internet bringing out your dark side?    Is the internet bringing out your dark side?  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 2:58 am

How about; the internet shows our dark-side, like "secret"gossip is banned
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Gerardgeert?feature=mexp
stal
stal

Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Is the internet bringing out your dark side?    Is the internet bringing out your dark side?  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 9:19 am

never been a fan of iBully posting, but have been known to drunk txt an ex-gf or two.
Back to top Go down
Gerardgeert
Gerardgeert

PostSubject: Re: Is the internet bringing out your dark side?    Is the internet bringing out your dark side?  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 11:02 am

That makes 2; as i always say, new technology suppost to be funny.

But later on, it's always me saying........................

Is the internet bringing out your dark side?  1290533017625_9025258

Last edited by Gerardgeert on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : deleted a little, for perfection)
Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Is the internet bringing out your dark side?    Is the internet bringing out your dark side?  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 12:56 pm

actually, for me, it is the reverse .....
somehow, online, i portray the person i wish i was
which is better than who i actually am
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
Gerardgeert
Gerardgeert

PostSubject: Re: Is the internet bringing out your dark side?    Is the internet bringing out your dark side?  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 1:20 pm

Good goal flower , but i like for you to know:

Is the internet bringing out your dark side?  Thank_god_youre_here_au-show

So we can grow together love
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Is the internet bringing out your dark side?    Is the internet bringing out your dark side?  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 6:35 pm

sunny

personally, i try to be the same on as off..just me

but i know a few who are living out their fantasy lives here in cyber space-dom
and i do think it is a medium that lends itself to fantasy..

perhaps it's just a big test to see who can move on....imo

scratch
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

PostSubject: Re: Is the internet bringing out your dark side?    Is the internet bringing out your dark side?  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 9:15 pm

stal wrote:
never been a fan of iBully posting, but have been known to drunk txt an ex-gf or two.

Stal you crack me up something terrible hon,...............I had a vision of you being slightly the worse for ale and getting out that phone.....................I am still laughing.
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

Number of posts : 2954
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Is the internet bringing out your dark side?    Is the internet bringing out your dark side?  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 10:40 am

Last week I had to carry out a test through work due to government incomeptence. I was asked to leave and the doctor was red faced... Hopefully the Quak has forgoten that experience and got over it ;)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the internet bringing out your dark side?    Is the internet bringing out your dark side?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1