the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

a little history lesson

Go down 
+3
Reunite
Gerardgeert
skywatcher
7 posters
AuthorMessage
skywatcher
skywatcher

Number of posts : 1827
Humor : yes lots
Registration date : 2010-12-18

a little history lesson Empty
PostSubject: a little history lesson   a little history lesson Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 1:45 am

I never knew this before, and now that I know it, I feel compelled to send it on to my more intelligent friends in the hope that they, too, will feel edified.

Isn't history more fun when you know something about it?

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore they would be incapable of fighting in the future.

This famous English longbow was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as 'plucking the yew' (or 'pluck yew').

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, See, we can still pluck yew!

Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodentals fricative F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute!

It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as 'giving the bird.' IT IS STILL AN APPROPRIATE SALUTE TO THE FRENCH TODAY!

And yew thought yew knew every plucking thing. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://chemtrailawareness.forumotion.co.uk
Gerardgeert
Gerardgeert

Number of posts : 352
Humor : Niccolò Machiavelli
Registration date : 2011-01-10

PostSubject: Re: a little history lesson   a little history lesson Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 2:39 am

Thanks;

for debunking, horrific.

bravo-009
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Gerardgeert?feature=mexp
Reunite
Reunite

Number of posts : 4993
Humor : Dry and Wet
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: a little history lesson   a little history lesson Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 1:47 pm

a little history lesson Double-finger
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

Number of posts : 5650
Humor : Some things just aren't funny.
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: a little history lesson   a little history lesson Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 4:44 pm

New icon there kerm. I didn't know that skywatcher, that is interesting. Plucking yew. he,he, good one.
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

Number of posts : 2954
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: a little history lesson   a little history lesson Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 5:38 pm

An oldie and not quite as funny as I remember it.

Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

Number of posts : 4993
Humor : Dry and Wet

PostSubject: Re: a little history lesson   a little history lesson Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 6:19 pm

Biggles wrote:
New icon there kerm. I didn't know that skywatcher, that is interesting. Plucking yew. he,he, good one.

Not in our library Biggs, just grabbed the image
Back to top Go down
Anchor
Anchor

Number of posts : 1441
Humor : Some
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: a little history lesson   a little history lesson Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 6:23 pm

Actually....

The French used to cut of the first two fingers of any bowmen they caught. So it became a taunt to the French to make a V sign with the first two fingers to prove they still had them and could shoot the French.

That sign (accentuated by up and down movement of hand, with back of hand facing enemy) was the sign showing the French that they still could shoot them and obviously a fair bit of contempt.

I think the Rockerfeller gesture (flipping the bird) has a different origin than the V sign.

Winston Churchil's V sign was more of a salute (the other way around) and was V for Victory.

John..
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

Number of posts : 5325

PostSubject: Re: a little history lesson   a little history lesson Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 7:55 pm

French Taunting you say?

Back to top Go down
Anchor
Anchor

Number of posts : 1441
Humor : Some
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: a little history lesson   a little history lesson Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 8:21 pm

Yes.

As an aside I once calculated that you could fit the entire population of France inside the channel tunnel - with some room to spare

I told my friend and he said - cool, shove them all in there, and brick both ends up.

How cruel :)
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

Number of posts : 5325

PostSubject: Re: a little history lesson   a little history lesson Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 9:17 pm

Many english Canadians feel this way towards french Canadians, especially the ones in the province of Quebec.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: a little history lesson   a little history lesson Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

a little history lesson
Page 1 of 1