the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sydney looks like Mars

Go down 
+5
Biggles
Anchor
Lightning222
day
Reunite
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Reunite
Reunite

Number of posts : 4993
Humor : Dry and Wet
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Sydney looks like Mars Empty
PostSubject: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:17 pm

This is what I woke up to this morning! I thought I was in a twilight zone..a bleed through into a different time line...lol

Sydney looks like Mars Kate1-10

Sydney looks like Mars Kate2-10

Monster dust storm blankets Sydney

Sydneysiders woke to a red dawn this morning as a huge dust storm blanketed the city, carried east by gale-force winds of up to 100kph.

The dust reduced visibility across the city and large parts of the state, with callers to ABC Radio saying the scene looked like something from the end of the world.

The weather bureau says the severity of the dust cloud will ebb and flow during the day as strong winds continue to batter the state. But the dust is not expected to abate until winds weaken tonight.

The bureau has issued a severe weather warning for damaging winds in Sydney, with a gale warning issued for Sydney closed waters.

Karen from Dulwich Hill, in Sydney's inner west, says she woke up to find the red dust had covered her floors and birds had been blown out of their nests.

"It did feel like Armageddon because when I was in the kitchen looking out the skylight, there was this red, red glow coming through," she said.

Mick told ABC Online: "In Sydney's south-western suburbs I've just woken up to a glowing red window! Thought it was Armageddon! Either that or South Korea [sic] had nuked us!"

Another ABC Online contributor wrote in: "Red. Dusty. Making hard to breath... There are baby birds dead in our backyard. And our cat's gone missing."

Another listener says her lakeside vista has been replaced by a desert view. Others have commented on how birds are struggling to cope with the haze, with some "falling out of the sky".

Environmental Health director Dr Wayne Smith says people in poor health, especially those with asthma and heart and lung disease should remain indoors.

He says children with health problems, as well as older adults and pregnant women, should also take precautions and people should avoid heavy exercise.

Meanwhile, schools are still open and parents are being told to send their children to school unless they have asthma or other breathing problems.

Sydney Ferries has cancelled its services and flights into Sydney have been diverted to Brisbane and Melbourne. Departing flights are delayed.

The dust has reduced visibility on the harbour to two metres and buses have been put on to get passengers to and from Manly. Sydney Ferries says ferry tickets can be used on buses this morning.

Steve, who is driving to Tamworth, says rain is making conditions even more treacherous.

"It's almost raining mud," he told ABC Local Radio. "I have a green car and it's now an orange car. The wipers are barely able to cope with all the mud."

SOURCE
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:53 pm

Sydney looks like Mars 06968110

Sydney looks like Mars 06968310

Sydney looks like Mars 06968311

Sydney looks like Mars 06968312

Sydney looks like Mars 06968510
Back to top Go down
day
day

Number of posts : 1193
Humor : dry, witty
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:00 pm

Reunite....that is amazing.....

Has this happened before? What caused it? When I first looked at the pictures I thought they were color enhanced!
Back to top Go down
day
day

Number of posts : 1193
Humor : dry, witty
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:20 pm

These pictures are fantastic ..did you take them?

I found this on youtube

its a short video of Newcastle this morning...though it was more yellow than red

Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:24 pm

'They' are saying its from the red dust further inland some hundreds of kilometres, I worked on a film called 'Red Planet' back in 1999 in the outback as the red dust looks similar to that of Mar's atmosphere.

This is the first Sydney had ever looked like a glowing orange and red city. These pictures are from the news sources here.

All I can smell and taste is dust right now.
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

Number of posts : 2198
Humor : most definitely
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:32 pm

That had to be scary to wake upto. I feel so bad for the birds and other small animals. I've been through brown dust storms but never red. You can hardly breathe and it penetrates everything. affraid
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:34 pm

Newcastle is about a 2 hour drive north of Sydney so it wasn't as intense. When I woke up it was glowing bright orange out the windows. I feel sorry for all the animals suffering as well.
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:37 pm

I've heard it's been dry there, is the red color from clay? It seems so strange, I've never heard of this happening anywhere before.
Back to top Go down
Anchor
Anchor

Number of posts : 1441
Humor : Some
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:51 pm

Its clearing up here (Sydney) now.

Some real pricks on the radio and TV - some woman ranting on about "We must think about volcanic activity - it could happen in Australia".

Also I see on the SMH a headline with "fear" in the title.

Quote :
Sydney dust health fears
This article contains a video that will play automatically. ARJUN RAMACHANDRAN 9:35am | People have been advised to stay indoors, after a thick blanket of dust settled over the city this morning.
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/health-warning-as-dust-blankets-sydney-20090923-g12o.html?autostart=1

There was also an earthquake in australia today - not covered in the SMH so far.
http://www.ga.gov.au/bin/listQuakes

A..

Last edited by Anchor on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:52 pm

It's really fine dust. This is what it looks like in the outback. As I said it has travelled across almost half the country. Sydney has had a couple of dust storms before very rarely, but not on this scale or intense glowing colurs.

Sydney looks like Mars 27_red10

Here is a video shot in Sydney.

Back to top Go down
Lightning222

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:54 pm

I wonder if chemtrail spraying has something to do with that. Beautiful pictures by the way!
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:00 pm

Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

Number of posts : 5650
Humor : Some things just aren't funny.
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:59 pm

If there is incoming news about dust storms I wish people would keep their animals inside for God's sake. I know we can't keep the birds in, but pet birds, cats, dogs, other pets should be kept inside all day until something like this totally clears up.

Our state had a few little earthquakes around the southern eastern tip (Mornington), which can upset animals as well as we know so people should also keep them in next to them so they feel more settled.

With the drought and the red desert dirt, high winds it can cover whole cities. Some of the red dust has come down our way and has covered all the cars.

You know thinking about the press, sometimes I think if they thought laterally and reminded people to actually bring their pets in when these dust storms etc occur might be an intelligent thing to do. Doh.
Back to top Go down
Anchor
Anchor

Number of posts : 1441
Humor : Some
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 7:03 pm

Sattelite image of dust storm

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtime/single.php?A092650340

Im posting this at 11:04 AEST, so it wont look the same for ever
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 8:05 pm

Interesting thread reunite, it makes sense with birds falling out of the sky. Wild animals know when weather anomolies are going to happen and take cover. I did think that strange in the original post. I watch animals for signs and remember when the heavy spraying was going on this summer birds were the first thing I noticed. They weren't flying in their normal formations. I would stand and stare at their unusual behavior, they were almost acting as if they were drunk and their were no leaders of their formations. They're normally a beautiful thing to watch.
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:52 pm

Sydney looks like Mars 210

Sydney looks like Mars 310
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

Number of posts : 2954
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:00 pm

Anchor wrote:

Some real pricks on the radio and TV - some woman ranting on about "We must think about volcanic activity - it could happen in Australia".

Ahh thats interesting as I read in the age newspaper on monday on page three a little article titled 'Volcano eruption overdue'

Written by Julia Medew

She was referring to comments made by Associate Professor Bernie Joyce who is a geologist here in Melbourne.

Sorry no link as I'm about to whizz out the door :D

I saw a similar scene like this during the 1982 drought and ash Wednesday... was quite surreal!

There is life on Mars LOL
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

Number of posts : 5325

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 5:56 am

What's the sky like today? Has it returned to normal?

It really does look like you are in Oz. Watch for the wizard...
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:01 am

affraid

W O W
Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 10:50 am

you know, when i saw these images you guys posted, i thought to myself
"this reminds me of the prophecy of the red sky" and i was unsettled...
hope all down under are o.k. (including the animals)
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
Lightning222

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:40 am

You too? It crossed my mind about it raining blood, especially when they mentioned the rain after the dust storm.
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 3:10 pm

micjer wrote:
What's the sky like today? Has it returned to normal?

It really does look like you are in Oz. Watch for the wizard...

What a contrast today.....it's a beautiful clear blue sky
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sydney looks like Mars   Sydney looks like Mars Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sydney looks like Mars
Page 1 of 1