the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Obama Addresses Students

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Reunite
Reunite

Number of posts : 4993
Humor : Dry and Wet
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Obama Addresses Students Empty
PostSubject: Obama Addresses Students   Obama Addresses Students Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 10:24 pm

mmmm....no political agenda there right?

President Obama Addresses Students

Robert Boyd Reporter
September 8, 2009

Students from across the country took time out of class Tuesday morning to listen to President Obama deliver a speech meant just for them.

During the 22 minute speech Obama motivated the students to stay in school and work hard. The speech was delivered from a high school in Arlington Virginia.

School districts from around the region handled it differently. In Springdale it was up to each principal to decide. Five out of 16 Elementary schools let the fourth and fifth grade students watch. The only other school in the district to participate was Springdale High School and it was up to the individual teachers.

In Fayetteville, the speech was offered to every student at every school. About 90 percent of the students decided to participate.

In Fort Smith, it was left up to the teachers to decide. All the school districts we talked to said students had the option, and if they or their parents didn't want them to watch there were alternative activities.

Springdale School District said the fact that many of their schools didn't show the speech has more to do with scheduling than anything else. The speech took place while many of the students were at lunch or recess.

Overall, most of the administrators we talked to said the speech was a positive message and didn't appeal to any kind of political agenda.

"I honestly believe if anyone else would have come into school and gave that motivational speech they would have been applauded," said Rick Schaeffer, of Springdale School District.

However, parents had mixed reaction. "I think my child has already had enough politics in class," said Arron Tufts. "I think they should get back to basics, science, math, English."

Other parents question, how are kids going to learn about the consequences of dropping out of school unless we talk about it.

"I think it's a good idea, kids ought to know what's going on in the world today, they are kids, but they are going to be older sooner or later," said Mr. Howell.

SOURCE

Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Obama Addresses Students   Obama Addresses Students Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 9:29 am

Reunite wrote:

Springdale School District said the fact that many of their schools didn't show the speech has more to do with scheduling than anything else. The speech took place while many of the students were at lunch or recess.

i am sure you all remember being in grade school...
go watch the president instead of enjoying lunch
or recess? i don't THINK so
beingsick
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
mntruthseeker
mntruthseeker

Number of posts : 698
Humor : I got some
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Obama Addresses Students   Obama Addresses Students Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 11:11 am

I didnt listen to it and I have mixed feelings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Obama Addresses Students   Obama Addresses Students Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Obama Addresses Students
Page 1 of 1