the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

March 19 'Supermoon'

Go down 
+4
Biggles
WineHippie
Somamech
sky otter
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

March 19 'Supermoon' Empty
PostSubject: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 9:46 pm

Article: Will March 19 'Supermoon' Trigger Natural Disasters?Natalie Wolchover, Life's Little Mysteries
Staff WriterDate: 09 March 2011 Time: 04:14 PM ET

March 19 'Supermoon' 46387610

Tidal forces between the moon and the Earth have slowed the moon's rotation so that one side of the moon always faces toward our planet. Though several spacecraft have imaged the far side of the moon before, NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter is providing new details region. This image, taken by instruments onboard LRO, highlights the moon's topography, with the highest elevations up above 20,000 feet in red and the lowest areas down below 20,000 feet in blue.
CREDIT: NASA/Goddard

On March 19, the moon will swing around Earth more closely than it has in the past 18 years, lighting up the night sky from just 221,567 miles (356,577 kilometers) away. On top of that, it will be full. And one astrologer believes it could inflict massive damage on the planet.

Richard Nolle, a noted astrologer who runs the website astropro.com, has famously termed the upcoming full moon at lunar perigee (the closest approach during its orbit) an "extreme supermoon."

When the moon goes super-extreme, Nolle says, chaos will ensue: Huge storms, earthquakes, volcanoes and other natural disasters can be expected to wreak havoc on Earth. (It should be noted that astrology is not a real science, but merely makes connections between astronomical and mystical events.)

But do we really need to start stocking survival shelters in preparation for the supermoon? [Photos: Our Changing Moon]

The question is not actually so crazy. In fact scientists have studied related scenarios for decades. Even under normal conditions, the moon is close enough to Earth to make its weighty presence felt: It causes the ebb and flow of the ocean tides.

The moon's gravity can even cause small but measureable ebbs and flows in the continents, called "land tides" or "solid Earth tides," too. The tides are greatest during full and new moons, when the sun and moon are aligned either on the same or opposite sides of the Earth.

According to John Vidale, a seismologist at the University of Washington in Seattle and director of the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network, particularly dramatic land and ocean tides do trigger earthquakes. "Both the moon and sun do stress the Earth a tiny bit, and when we look hard we can see a very small increase in tectonic activity when they're aligned," Vidale told Life's Little Mysteries, a sister site to SPACE.com.

At times of full and new moons, "you see a less-than-1-percent increase in earthquake activity, and a slightly higher response in volcanoes."

The effect of tides on seismic activity is greatest in subduction zones such as the Pacific Northwest, where one tectonic plate is sliding under another. William Wilcock, another seismologist at the University of Washington, explained: "When you have a low tide, there's less water, so the pressure on the seafloor is smaller. That pressure is clamping the fault together, so when it's not there, it makes it easier for the fault to slip."

According to Wilcock, earthquake activity in subduction zones at low tides is 10 percent higher than at other times of the day, but he hasn't observed any correlations between earthquake activity and especially low tides at new and full moons. Vidale has observed only a very small correlation
What about during a lunar perigee? Can we expect more earthquakes and volcanic eruptions on March 19, when the full moon will be so close?

The moon's gravitational pull at lunarperigee, the scientists say, is not different enough from its pull at other times to significantly change the height of the tides and thus the likelihood of natural disasters. [Infographic: Phases of the Moon Explained]

"A lot of studies have been done on this kind of thing by USGS scientists and others," John Bellini, a geophysicist at the U.S. Geological Survey, told Life's Little Mysteries. "They haven't found anything significant at all."

Vidale concurred. "Practically speaking, you'll never see any effect of lunar perigee," he said. "It's somewhere between 'It has no effect' and 'It's so small you don't see any effect.'"

The bottom line is, the upcoming supermoon won't cause a preponderance of earthquakes, although the idea isn't a crazy one.

"Earthquakes don't respond as much to the tides as you'd think they would. There should actually be more of an effect," said Vidale.

Most natural disasters have nothing to do with the moon at all. The Earth has a lot of pent up energy, and it releases it anytime the buildup gets too great. The supermoon probably won't push it past the tipping point, but we'll know for sure, one way or the other, by March 20.

This story was provided by Life's Little Mysteries, a sister site of SPACE.com.

http://www.space.com/11084-supermoon-earthquake-storm-natural-disasters.html

http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/what-causes-the-tides-0993/

http://www.spaceweather.com/
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

Number of posts : 2954
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 2:37 am

I'm looking forward to this one!

Better head out to find some salt this weekend :D
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 7:39 am

affraid

i guess we don't need to wait for a super moon

Hundreds dead after massive quake slams Japan
8.9-magnitude temblor triggers 'enormous damage,' Japanese official says

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42023385/ns/world_news-asiapacific/?gt1=43001

and there was a big one in china yesterday....

i feel we are beginning to see the taking out of the old so that the new can come in
sadly lots of loss of life..many changes in many places

please join me in your own words to help our world siblings of the human race and all other life

i ask for as pain-less transition as possible now and in the days to come

group-hug .... rainbow heart .... please ..help .. byesad ..... goodluck .... group-hug .. smiley-face-sun-clou .. sunny .. group-hug

...........................................................................................................
from link above
updated 10 minutes ago 2011-03-11T14:15:57

March 19 'Supermoon' Untitl14

•Police say 200 to 300 bodies found in northeastern coastal area•'Nuclear emergency' declared after problems at Japanese plant
•Evacuation order issued to thousands near different nuclear plant •Japanese PM cites 'major damage'; calls for 'spirit of fraternity'
•First tsunami waves hit Hawaii, sweep though islands
•California emergency agency spokesman says evacuations 'very possible'
TOKYO — A magnitude 8.9 earthquake — the biggest in modern Japanese history — slammed the island nation's eastern coast Friday, unleashing a 23-foot tsunami that swept boats, cars, buildings and tons of debris miles inland and prompting a "nuclear emergency."

According to police, 200 to 300 bodies were found in the northeastern coastal city of Sendai. The death toll was likely to continue climbing given the scale of Friday's disaster.

The government ordered thousands of residents near a nuclear power plant in Onahama city to evacuate because the plant's system was unable to cool the reactor. The reactor was not leaking radiation but its core remained hot even after a shutdown. The plant is 170 miles northeast of Tokyo.

Dozens of cities and villages along a 1,300-mile stretch of coastline were shaken by violent tremors that reached as far away as Tokyo, hundreds of miles from the epicenter.

"The earthquake has caused major damage in broad areas in northern Japan," Prime Minister Naoto Kan said at a news conference.

According to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, Kauai was the first island hit early Friday by the tsunami, which was quickly sweeping through the Hawaiian Island chain. Officials predicted Hawaii would experience waves up to 6 feet.

Video: Live coverage of quake's aftermath (on this page)
A ship carrying 100 people was swept away by the tsunami, Kyodo news agency reported.

Video: Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' at plant (on this page)
Fires triggered by the quake burned out of control up and down the coast.

Officials were still trying to assess the extent of destruction. The government's top spokesman, Yukio Edano, said that the country was sending troops to the quake-hit area to join relief efforts.

A tsunami warning was also issued for Hawaii and the coasts of Oregon and northern and central California and parts of Alaska. A tsunami advisory was in effect for southern California.

Japan earthquake Live Blog: Latest updates on aftermath of Japan quake
Updated 34 minutes ago 3/11/2011 1:52:27 PM +00:00 Evacuation ordered after Japan nuke plant rocked
Updated 31 minutes ago 3/11/2011 1:55:07 PM +00:00 Tsunami hits Hawaii, barrels to US West Coast
Massive earthquake hits Japan
.."A tsunami has been generated that could cause damage along the coastlines of all islands in the state of Hawaii," the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center's bulletin said. "Urgent action should be taken to protect lives and property."

Among the other countries for which a tsunami warning was in effect are: Russia, Taiwan, the Philippines, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama, Honduras, Chile, Ecuador, Colombia and Peru.

The tsunami is higher than some of the Pacific islands it could wash over, the Red Cross in Geneva said, warning that developing countries in the Asia Pacific region were particularly vulnerable to tsunami damage.

Horror in Japan
Even for a country used to earthquakes, this one was of horrific proportions.

Live Blog: Latest updates on aftermath of Japan quake
Large fishing boats and other sea vessels rode high waves into the cities, slamming against overpasses. Upturned and partially submerged vehicles were seen bobbing in the water.

Waves of muddy waters swept over farmland near the city of Sendai, carrying buildings, some on fire, inland as cars attempted to drive away. Sendai airport, north of Tokyo, was inundated with cars, trucks, buses and thick mud deposited over its runways. Fires spread through a section of the city, public broadcaster NHK reported.

A large fire erupted at the Cosmo oil refinery in Ichihara city in Chiba prefecture near Tokyo and was burning out of control.

The tsunami roared over embankments, washing cars, houses and farm equipment inland before reversing directions and carrying them out to sea. Flames shot from some of the houses, probably because of burst gas pipes.

"Our initial assessment indicate that there has already been enormous damage," Edano added. "We will make maximum relief effort based on that assessment."

Slideshow: Massive earthquake hits Japan (on this page)
Tremors were felt as far away as Beijing, China, about 1,300 miles west of Tokyo.

The quake struck at 2:46 p.m. local time (12:46 a.m. ET) and was followed by five powerful aftershocks within about an hour, the strongest measuring 7.1. The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) upgraded the strength of the first quake to a magnitude 8.9, while Japan's meteorological agency measured it at 8.4.

Citing USGS data, NBC News reported that if the 8.9 reading is verified, it would be the fifth-strongest earthquake since 1900.

The quake struck at a depth of six miles, about 80 miles off the eastern coast. The area is 240 miles northeast of Tokyo.
Get updates on Japan quake at breakingnews.com In downtown Tokyo, large buildings shook violently and workers poured into the streets for safety. TV footage showed a large building on fire and bellowing smoke in the Odaiba district of Tokyo.
Trains were stopped and passengers walked along the tracks to platforms. NHK said more than 4 million buildings without power in Tokyo and its suburbs.
The temblor brought the capital's train system to a halt, paralyzing the daily commuter flow of more than 10 million people.
Akira Tanaka, 54, a restaurant worker, was among those who just gave up and decided to walk home — to suburban Saitama, 12 miles north of Tokyo, an endeavor he has never tackled before.
"I've been walking an hour and 10 minutes, still have about three hours to go," he said. "This is the kind of earthquake that hits once every 100 years."
The ceiling of Kudan Kaikan, a large hall in Tokyo, collapsed, injuring an unknown number of people, NHK said.

ChoicesOsamu Akiya, 46, was working in Tokyo at his office in a trading company when the quake hit.
It sent bookshelves and computers crashing to the floor, and cracks appeared in the walls.
"I've been through many earthquakes, but I've never felt anything like this," he said.

Video: 'Tsunami waves travel as fast as a jet engine' (on this page) Footage on NHK from their Sendai office showed employees stumbling around and books and papers crashing from desks.
Several quakes had hit the same region in recent days, including a 7.3 magnitude one on Wednesday.
Thirty minutes after the quake, tall buildings were still swaying in Tokyo and mobile phone networks were not working.

Video: Officials trying to assess damage (on this page) Tokyo's main airport was closed. A large section of the ceiling at the 1-year-old airport at Ibaraki, about 50 miles northeast of Tokyo, fell to the floor with a powerful crash.
Japan's northeast Pacific coast, called Sanriku, has suffered from quakes and tsunamis in the past. In 1933, a magnitude 8.1 quake in the area killed more than 3,000 people. Last year fishing facilities were damaged after by a tsunami caused by a strong tremor in Chile.
Earthquakes are common in Japan, one of the world's most seismically active areas. The country accounts for about 20 percent of the world's earthquakes of magnitude 6 or greater.
NBC News, msnbc.com staff, Reuters and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 8:11 am

you seem to have covered everything above, lil otter ...
my self is awestruck at this display of power energy changer(s) ...
i do pray and meditate for the best outcome for all ...
i return often to my image/feeling of saddling up to RIDE ....
giddyup

cowboy
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
Somamech
Somamech

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 8:48 am

A question for those collecting Moon Energy!

Whats your plans ?
sunny

The Tsunami hit Taiwan at 1700 hrs TW time ... All fine toast
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 9:15 am

rainbow heart

well you interrupted my making of an alum hat..hahahahaha

but moon energy has alwasy been good for me..hey..you know the name of the goddess of the moon, don't cha..lol

i plan to be out there..hopefully with the camera..if this rain ever stopped and the clouds move, that is

dancin in the moonlight...da da da da da da

moon walk
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 9:46 am

LOL Sky!!!

I got a bit of moon gazing (inner) and moon collecting (outer) planned !!!

Amped for this event my friend

rainbow heart
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

Number of posts : 5650
Humor : Some things just aren't funny.
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 1:51 pm

I wonder where Benny Fulford lives on the isle of Japan, he will be theorizing as we know everything but natural stuff causing this.

Been reading about these for a long time now, we're just living in them. Smooth transition for souls in the best and is the best outcome one can ask for.
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

Number of posts : 4993
Humor : Dry and Wet

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 1:57 pm

Biggles wrote:
I wonder where Benny Fulford lives on the isle of Japan, he will be theorizing as we know everything but natural stuff causing this.

Probably in one was David Rockefeller's condos
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 2:00 pm

Reunite wrote:
Biggles wrote:

Probably in one was David Rockefeller's condos

lol! kermie bear. I dont think that is gonna keep him safe down the track.
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

Number of posts : 5325

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 10:29 am

Question.......anybody else feeling off today?

I have a large headache. I don't normally get headaches, and I behaved yesterday. lol

I wonder if this supermoon is causing this. Watching the earthquake data for western US for any increase in activity.
Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 10:51 am

sis and i, both ...
this is not good news, mic ...
last night i became so uncomfortable after
going to bed, that i almost got up to check the
internet to see if maybe (fill in the blank)
but i fought the urge and applied other measures .........
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 11:14 am

Hippie. Look at this post on Godlikeproductions!!!!

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1402937/pg1

anybody esles head hurting?

im in LA and it feels like a lot of pressure in front left of my head idk if anybody else is experiencing this?

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1292291
United States
3/18/2011 1:07 PM

Weird....or what?
Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 11:23 am

micjer wrote:
Weird....or what?

owie
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 11:25 am

sorry! I'll keep it down.
Back to top Go down
stal
stal

Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 11:29 am

i've been feeling odd since tuesday.

Also there are wave/earthquake/HAARP clouds down here tonight.

And possibly a big triangle.
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 11:38 am

Yikes. Stay safe mate!

affraid
Back to top Go down
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

Number of posts : 4957
Humor : I hope so
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 11:51 am

Not to spoil the fun,but feeling odd has become normal for me....LOL I guess it takes all kinds to make the world go around. hypnotisedb
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 1:12 pm

i have started this post a number of times....i wanted to say something..or add something
but each time i have deleted it with the thought....it's all been written already...nothing more to say but
go with your gut

i have always felt energized and happy with full moons..this one is no different...but since the japan earthquke my head has
been an interesting place..feels like the bone structure is way to small for whatever is inside...

last nights moon pic at 7:02 pm..EST DST...it was still daylight
March 19 'Supermoon' Hpim0139

Last edited by sky otter on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 5:42 pm

Woke up super early this morning as I have a lot to do in preperation for the SuperMoon :P
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 6:49 pm

lol!

totally clouded over tonight..no pics for me..booooo hooo
hopefully tomorrow it will be clear..i wanna picture lol!
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 8:14 pm

I am a little bit concerned the pull the supermoon might have down here, with everything else that has been goin on.

When I think about those poor guys that were trying to fix the reactors, nuff said I think.
Back to top Go down
stal
stal

Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 3:33 am

moon's up.

Big, bright and clear.

Theres definately something in the air tonight.

I feel like i'm on something lol
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 2:24 pm

Well last night I was flying back from Brisbane at sunset and got the best view of the super moon I could ask for. Up at around 30,000 feet above the storm clouds (been raining last few days) it was shining big and bright. Wish I had my SLR camera on me however I took a shot from the mobile camera. Will have to upload them when I get home later today.
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 2:34 am

As I said it's just from my camera phone so not the best quality

March 19 'Supermoon' Superm10

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: March 19 'Supermoon'   March 19 'Supermoon' Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

March 19 'Supermoon'
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next