the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Medicine Growing Wild

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
LongHunter
LongHunter

Number of posts : 562
Humor : If necessary
Registration date : 2009-02-22

Medicine Growing Wild Empty
PostSubject: Medicine Growing Wild   Medicine Growing Wild Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 8:58 pm

Wondering if anyone had May-Apple growing near by. Of course it won't be above ground flowering and fruiting until Spring. It bears a yellowish edible fruit. The root is poisonous. Some Native Tribes like the Iroquois used the root to commit suicide, while Algonquian People ground up the dried root to be used for a poultice to draw venom from snakebites and Wasp-stings or injested in small amounts for Rheumatism. cooking or baking the root rids it of poison and then can be used for a emetic.

In the lore of deep-Southern Black Culture May-Apple Root soaked in Rum or Whisky is given to drive internal snakes from a body.

For those who may have to make for the High and Lonesome, perhaps knowledge of Wild Cures could come in right handy.

Maybe we should talk about drugs,

Wild Drugs.
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Medicine Growing Wild   Medicine Growing Wild Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 9:00 pm

ah yeah we have tons of them..it is american mandrake

when we were kids we called them umbrella's
Back to top Go down
LongHunter
LongHunter

PostSubject: Re: Medicine Growing Wild   Medicine Growing Wild Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 7:09 pm

sky otter wrote:
ah yeah we have tons of them..it is american mandrake

when we were kids we called them umbrella's

Tried the Apple (fruit) once and found it rather bland. Perhaps it'd not ripen.

Well if there is May-Apples around you, no doubt Flowering DogWood is near.

A decoction of the bark can reduce fever, and containing the active principle of Quinine it can be used for Malaria. It also can stimulate appitite. The buds and flowers can be chewed for the chill.

There is some who believe the wood itself has Magikal properties. Never growing as large and straight as neighboring hardwoods it's wood is harder than Hickory. Good for tool and weapon handles or a stout walking staff.

Ironic here it's the State Tree and Flower and cannot be harvested, yet in some parts of Virginia whole strands are ripped down in land development.
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Medicine Growing Wild   Medicine Growing Wild Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 7:45 pm

ah Jim

dogwoods...i think they are right up there in my favorites..next to oak and hop hornbeam
but then i am in luv with all trees..

years ago i dug up a couple young dogwoods out in the woods and dragged them home to plant...
they are beauties..and last year they dropped little ones and i carefully moved them
this will be their 2nd spring so i am wating to see how many made it..hopefully most as they were doing well last fall
and i will then be surrounded...

i have been trying to figure out how to move some baby witch hazel but so far haven't wanted to disturb the clumps they grow in till i know i won't injury any
Back to top Go down
zuni
zuni

Number of posts : 1319
Humor : does a fat kid miss cake ???
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Medicine Growing Wild   Medicine Growing Wild Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 1:45 pm

hi ya jim......this is a great thread.........

sounds like you know about herbal medicines.......keep ém comming i love learning about herbs.....
i googled the may-apple to see a photo.......but i haven´t seen any around these parts.........lol.....i would like to try the edible fruit it produces.......

i love wild food.........it´s free and nutrious........
Back to top Go down
LongHunter
LongHunter

PostSubject: Re: Medicine Growing Wild   Medicine Growing Wild Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 3:30 am

zuni wrote:
hi ya jim......this is a great thread.........

sounds like you know about herbal medicines.......keep ém comming i love learning about herbs.....
i googled the may-apple to see a photo.......but i haven´t seen any around these parts.........lol.....i would like to try the edible fruit it produces.......

i love wild food.........it´s free and nutrious........

Got to be there just when they ripen, or else the Coons,Deer,Birds and BoxTurtles will get them.
Back to top Go down
zuni
zuni

Number of posts : 1319
Humor : does a fat kid miss cake ???
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Medicine Growing Wild   Medicine Growing Wild Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 7:33 pm

hummmmm.....so maybe they get eatten before i spot them.........lol......
Back to top Go down
bilderburger w/cheese
bilderburger w/cheese

Number of posts : 94
Humor : available upon request
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Medicine Growing Wild   Medicine Growing Wild Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 9:15 pm

great thread.

ive seen the plant and flower on occasion, but i dont think i ever saw the fruiting body. most of the woods i walk around in dont have that rich soil which it needs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Medicine Growing Wild   Medicine Growing Wild Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Medicine Growing Wild
Page 1 of 1