the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

berry freezer jam

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

berry freezer jam Empty
PostSubject: berry freezer jam   berry freezer jam Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 11:47 am

cheers ..ok..sticking my tongue out at the computer bugs and skipping out on some work to share with you
a fast yummy way to do jam..it is called freezer jam

you need about 5 or 6 jelly jars that go in the freezer..lids and rings
2 cups or less of sugar..i use raw sugar for everything
4 cups of cleaned smashed fruit..in this case berries

years ago i planted thornless upright blackberry canes and they have produced faithfully..
plant them somewhere near your grapes and you have mostly bug proffed both..

elderberries used to growth wild everywhere around here..but these i also bought and planted..unfortunately
this is probably their last year and will need to be replaced....earlier this year i moved some shoots i wanted to save..

ok..pick your fruit..or buy it..whatever works
i do a fast dip into salt water and then a rinse of fresh water...so if there are any bugs or fungus it is taken out

you will need this wonderous product..you can read the label..on the back is all the info you need

berry freezer jam Hpim3510

then the fruit...
these are elderberries for those who have never seen them
they grow on a shrub anywhere from 8 to 12 feet and you have to get there before the birds
i just carry a big dishpan and snip the whole bunch into it and then pull the berries off later
...a real bear to clean..but oh yum as jam on toast on a cold winter day
pure joy

berry freezer jam Hpim3410

berry freezer jam Hpim3411

and some blackberries...it's great to only have to go to the edge of the garden for these beauties
berry freezer jam Hpim3412

mash the cleaned berries...
oh you can use some mechicanicall smasher if you have to
you are way better if you use only glass bowls..makes for a reall fast clean up and no stains
well..except on me, of course
berry freezer jam Hpim3413

a package of the pectin mixed with a cup and a hlf of sugar..or if like me you like it a bit sweeter and add 2 cups of sugar.
to add to the smashed fruit...hey..whatever size pieces of fruit is entirely up to you so have some fun

berry freezer jam Hpim3414

spoon into clean/sterile jars ..leave a little room for expansion as they freeze and put the lids on tight
berry freezer jam Hpim3415

ok.. i write down what i got and where i changed the recipe...so i know if i want to repeat it or not
put the date on the jars
and into the freezer till you are ready to eat them
i always put one right into the frig

then clean up..who wants to lick the bowl.. BigSmile2

berry freezer jam Hpim3417
berry freezer jam Hpim3416

this methiod works on almost everything..so if you have a little space in the freezer go to a nice fruit market
and pick out something
try it
you will really really enjoy that toast and jam
of course my sister uses it for ice cream topping
so don't ever limit yourself

en joy
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

Number of posts : 2198
Humor : most definitely
Registration date : 2009-07-26

berry freezer jam Empty
PostSubject: Re: berry freezer jam   berry freezer jam Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 1:42 pm

Looks yummy!
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

Number of posts : 4993
Humor : Dry and Wet
Registration date : 2009-01-23

berry freezer jam Empty
PostSubject: Re: berry freezer jam   berry freezer jam Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 4:06 pm

Thanks sky! Looks delicious

So why the name elderberries? For some reason when I see the word elderberries I visualize Hobbits from middle earth picking their lunch.
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

berry freezer jam Empty
PostSubject: Re: berry freezer jam   berry freezer jam Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 6:46 pm

ahhh the elderberry...has a long history and every part of the plant is usable... personally i do not practice wicca..but
Scott Cunningham's books are what i check for plant info...he was amazing and his body of work incredible...you do not have to practice the craft to read his stuff

here are some info that may be of interest to you..you know me..overkill on the info department

Elderberry (Sambucus canadensis)
The American Elder (canadensis) , also known as Elderberry, is a small tree that grows to around 10 feet and is native to North America. The European variety grows to 25 feet and is found throughout Europe, Asia and North Africa. The tree has been called "the medicine chest of the common people.
The flowers, leaves, berries, bark and roots have all been used in traditional folk medicine for hundreds of years. The fruits have been used to make wine, and when cooked, can be used in pies and jams. The berries contain more vitamin C than any other herb except rosehips and black currant.

The herb also has a rich background of superstitions. In the Middle Ages, legend says that the tree was home to witches, and that cutting down one would bring on the wrath of those living in the branches.

The Russians and the English believe that the trees ward off evil spirits and it was considered good luck to plant a tree near your home. Sicilians think that sticks of the wood can kill serpents and drive away thieves.

Egyptians discovered that applying its flowers improved the complexion and healed burns. Many early Indian tribes used it in teas and other beverages. The British frequently drank home made wine and cordials that was thought to prolong life and cure the common cold.

The berries from contain a large amount of vitamins A, B and C, as well as flavonoids, sugar, tannins, carotenoids and amino acids. Warmed wine is a remedy for sore throat, influenza and induces perspiration to reverse the effects of a chill. The juice from the berries is an old fashioned cure for colds, and is also said to relieve asthma and bronchitis.

Infusions of the fruit are beneficial for nerve disorders, back pain, and have been used to reduce inflammation of the urinary tract and bladder. Raw berries have laxative and diuretic properties, however the seeds are toxic and may induce vomiting and nausea.

The leaves contain the flavonoids rutin and quercertin, alkaloids, vitamin C and sambunigrin, a cyanogenic glucoside. Fresh leaves also contain hydrocyanic acid, cane sugar, invertin, betulin, free fatty acids, and a considerable quantity of potassium nitrate.

The flowers are a mild astringent and are used in skin washes to refine the complexion and help relieve eczema, acne and psoriasis. Flower water makes a soothing gargle and when strained makes an excellent eye wash.

The leaves and flowers are a common ingredient in ointments and poultices for burns and scalds, swelling, cuts and scrapes. Infusions and preparations with the blossoms combined with other herbs have also been used to quicken recovery form the common cold and flu.

Parts Used: Bark, leaves, flowers, berries.

Common Use: Topically for infections, inflammations and swelling. As a wash for skin healing and complexion purification. As a tea and cordial to sooth sore throats, speed recovery from cold and flu and relieve respiratory distress. Cooked and used in jams and conserves.

Care: Prefers sandy or loamy soil rich in humus and nitrogen. Full sun or partial shade.

i have dropped the link..sorry..
******************************************************************************************************
http://www.angelfire.com/il2/purpleflame/Herbs/elderber.html

copyrighted ..very good info a lot of it following scott cunningham 's books
********************************************************************************
also check this one out
http://www.herbalpedia.com/elder.pdf

wave
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

Number of posts : 4993
Humor : Dry and Wet
Registration date : 2009-01-23

berry freezer jam Empty
PostSubject: Re: berry freezer jam   berry freezer jam Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 7:14 pm

sky otter wrote:

Sicilians think that sticks of the wood can kill serpents and drive away thieves.

This could become handy to flock off the reptilians
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

Number of posts : 5650
Humor : Some things just aren't funny.
Registration date : 2009-03-12

berry freezer jam Empty
PostSubject: Re: berry freezer jam   berry freezer jam Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 7:53 pm

Reunite wrote:
sky otter wrote:

Sicilians think that sticks of the wood can kill serpents and drive away thieves.

This could become handy to flock off the reptilians

You always come up with a goodie R lol!

I can just see you with one of them long elderberry sticks pokin at a rep or two poke poke
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

Number of posts : 5650
Humor : Some things just aren't funny.
Registration date : 2009-03-12

berry freezer jam Empty
PostSubject: Re: berry freezer jam   berry freezer jam Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 7:59 pm

Thanks Sky,

Those blackberries look absolutely delicious, plump and juicy. I can see why your saying about the elderberries being a bit of a pain, getting them all off.

This recipe I think I would be able to do and store, just got to grow some things first, fruit, I like the blackberries I might try those. xxxx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

berry freezer jam Empty
PostSubject: Re: berry freezer jam   berry freezer jam Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

berry freezer jam
Page 1 of 1