the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

today's wild harvest

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

today's wild harvest Empty
PostSubject: today's wild harvest   today's wild harvest Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:03 pm

ah.. i know some of you guys have indulged in mushrooms in many ways..my way is to eat them...yummmmmm
these are maitake/sheepshead/hen of the woods....a fall growth of delicousness...
we had some rain the last few nights and it was cool..enough to get them to spring out around some old oaks...
made a great haul today and captured 9 of em...hubby cleaned them and we gobbled a nice meal...
also for a later in the evening treat..chestnuts,,,
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh life IS good
en~joy

i'll take you on my forageting walk..camera, dog, basket and us and the rain has gone to a drizzle..perfect hunting weather

hey there is a likey tree..it's a white oak and i think something at the bottom..looking like a pile of leaves

today's wild harvest Hpim9010

getting a bit closer..yep some mushrroms..yeahh

today's wild harvest Hpim9011

and closer still..shows some beauties

today's wild harvest Hpim9012

ah dinner

today's wild harvest Hpim9013

the chestnuts were easier..they are on the side of the driveway....you just have to pick them off the ground

today's wild harvest Hpim9014

Last edited by sky otter on Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

Number of posts : 5325
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: today's wild harvest   today's wild harvest Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 5:54 am

I've never seen mushrooms like that. Do you fry them up with butter or how do you eat them.

flower
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: today's wild harvest   today's wild harvest Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 8:25 am

sunny

Hey M
you probably have them around you..i would look ..don't pull them out..cut them off..and let the root there

first you pull them apart and rinse them off under running water.(or a sink full if you are conservative) and toss the pieces onto a paper towel to drain as you go
then put a tiny amount of butter in a deep skillet and toss in the mushroom pieces..cover and cook with medium heat till there is a lot of water in the skillet..remove the cover and cook the water off..then add a tiny bit more butter, pepper and salt to taste and chow down...
they are a bit crunchy and have a nutty flavor..very good with almost anything

i had to do the link below cause i thought i had mis-speeled it above..and of course i had..it's the fat fingers.. lol!

i hope you find some and en~joy..but it might be worth it to find someone who knows what they are picking..just to be safe.. a lot of the polypores look similiar
en~joy

flower
Grifola frondosa
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Maitake

Scientific classification
Kingdom: Fungi

Phylum: Basidiomycota

Class: Agaricomycetes

Order: Polyporales

Family: Meripilaceae

Genus: Grifola

Species: G. frondosa

Binomial name
Grifola frondosa
(Dicks.) Gray
Grifola frondosa
Mycological characteristics
pores on hymenium
cap is offset or indistinct
hymenium is decurrent
lacks a stipe
spore print is white
ecology is parasitic
edibility: edible

Grifola frondosa is a polypore mushroom that grows in clusters at the base of trees, particularly oaks. The mushroom is commonly known among English speakers as Sheep’s Head, Ram’s Head and Hen of the Woods. In the United State's supplement market, as well as in Asian grocery stores, the mushroom is known by its Japanese name "Maitake," which means "dancing mushroom." G. frondosa should not be confused with Laetiporus sulphureus, another edible bracket fungus that is commonly called chicken of the woods or "sulphur shelf."

The fungus is native to the northeastern part of Japan and North America, and is prized in traditional Chinese and Japanese herbology as a medicinal mushroom, an aid to balance out altered body systems to a normal level. Most Japanese people find its taste and texture enormously appealing, though the mushroom has been alleged to cause allergic reactions in rare cases.

Description
Like the sulphur shelf mushroom, G. frondosa is a perennial fungus that often grows in the same place for a number of years in succession. It occurs most prolifically in the northeastern regions of the United States, but has been found as far west as Idaho.

G. frondosa grows from an underground tuber-like structure, about the size of a potato. The fruiting body, occurring as large as 60 cm, is a cluster consisting of multiple grayish-brown caps which are often curled or spoon-shaped, with wavy margins and 2-7 cm broad. The undersurface of each cap bears approximately one to three pores per millimeter, with the tubes rarely deeper than 3 mm. The milky-white stipe (stalk) has a branchy structure and becomes tough as the mushroom matures.

In Japan, the Maitake can grow to more than 50 pounds (20 kilograms), earning this giant mushroom the title "King of Mushrooms." Maitake is one of the major culinary mushrooms used in Japan, the others being shiitake, shimeji and enoki. They are used in a wide variety of dishes, often being a key ingredient in nabe or cooked in foil with butter.
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

Number of posts : 5325
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: today's wild harvest   today's wild harvest Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 8:28 am

Cool I'll go looking. We have mainly maples and not too many oak trees, but we do have some.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: today's wild harvest   today's wild harvest Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

today's wild harvest
Page 1 of 1