the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Suicide & the economy

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Suicide & the economy Empty
PostSubject: Suicide & the economy   Suicide & the economy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 11:54 am

from msn news homepage:

"The grim recession is taking its toll on the psyches of people around the globe, regardless of wealth or success. Here are details about recent high-profile suicides, plus some suicide prevention resources:

David Kellerman: The Freddie Mac acting chief financial officer was found hanging in his basement on April 22. It has been speculated that the stress of the failing mortgage giant was the reason.

RenĂ©-Thierry Magon de La Villehuchet: The head of a French investment company — and major investor with Bernie Madoff — took his life at his desk in New York in December.

Adolf Merckle: This German industrialist, who in 2007 was ranked Forbes' 44th richest man, threw himself in front of a train in January. In 2008, he dropped dramatically on the Forbes list.

Patrick Rocca: The so-called poster boy of Ireland's Celtic Tiger shot himself in the head in January. In 2007, his fortune topped an estimated $647 million.

These times are reminiscent of tales of rich financiers leaping from office windows after the Great Crash of 1929. And that's just what they were: tales. Contrary to popular belief, suicide rates did not increase during the Great Depression.

Today, calls to suicide prevention hotlines have spiked dramatically in some areas. For example, those in Los Angeles and Oregon have seen startling increases.
The national suicide rate is hotly debated, but the ailing economy impacts the psyches of a surprising number of Americans, according to a recent survey.

Unlike during the Great Depression, today there is help. The government has launched a Web site full of information, and there are resources to prevent suicide. "

http://www.samhsa.gov/

when i went to link, got error message:
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

please don't cry.....
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
Northern Boy
Northern Boy

Number of posts : 1236
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Suicide & the economy   Suicide & the economy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 12:14 pm

there is more to this story i believe . It will come out
Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Suicide & the economy   Suicide & the economy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 12:40 pm

yes, NB, and i believe intuitively that the list is much longer.....
and that they are not necessarily "suicides"
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suicide & the economy   Suicide & the economy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suicide & the economy
Page 1 of 1