the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

meditation methods

Go down 
+4
Gabriel
WineHippie
Reunite
sky otter
8 posters
AuthorMessage
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

meditation methods Empty
PostSubject: meditation methods   meditation methods Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 1:25 pm

sunny
hey guys..
how about a discussion of how you do it..................please no articles from other people...
just your method
of what works and what doesn't ....or what you have to ask..maybe we can help each other

i was just speaking in pm to someone about how to start so i will recreate it here and use it as a beginning
hope it is a start..
group-hug

she was saying she just couldn't conscentrate and i was telling her about the way that i learnt by turning the radio to static and then
practice shutting it out while building your fantasty place
like a meadow with a stream, a library, getting a shampoo ...whatever is a wonderful comfortable thing for you..

then to try without the static and
sitting with feet on the floor, hands palm up on the thights, eyes closed and three deep breaths (or more)
then go to that wonderful place you have already created...and stay awhile

after you get good at that..you ask a question before going in and the asnwer will be with you when you come back to here...
some interesting and creatic visits while in your wonder place give you info you don't ususally recognize

and yes the belly breathing you have described is also called breathing from the diaphram...and by placing your hands there you can tell if you are doing it correctly...we practiced with a small light pillow so we could actually see it.

there are as many ways as there are teachers..but it all comes down to the breathing...

i also use colors

anybody................... love .......... group-hug

Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

Number of posts : 4993
Humor : Dry and Wet
Registration date : 2009-01-23

meditation methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: meditation methods   meditation methods Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 2:18 pm

I find when there is too much chatter - focus on something else like repeating a mantra or visualizing the flickering of a candle flame, and as sky pointed out your breathing. Afterwards it's easier to let go of all thoughts and have no need to focus on anything, just be.

However I'm still in training and need to practice more.

Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...

meditation methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: meditation methods   meditation methods Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 2:30 pm

i get comfortable first ... sitting, lying down, even standing ...
i close my eyes
i breathe in through nose for a slow count of 4 ...
then i hold my breath for the same count ...
and breathe out through my mouth ... count of 4 again
as my breathing adjusts to the rhythm, concentrating on the process helps me quiet the mind chatter ...
i begin to visualize the air coming in and as i exhale, it is sparkle-y ...
then, if i am lucky/successful, i begin to hear words, usually advice
and sometimes image(s) will flash, and it is up to me to sort out the
symbolism
this is my default method, often there are variations, it's FUN to play with it
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

Number of posts : 4957
Humor : I hope so
Registration date : 2009-01-24

meditation methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: meditation methods   meditation methods Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 2:56 pm

I lay down, sometimes sit and breath deep a few times. Then I speak to my higher consciousness to clear my thoughts away. When the silence comes I start praying in my prayer launguage .

I pray for a while in a language I do not understand, this keeps my mind in neutral so I am able to go deeper.

After this follow the prompts of my higher self/Spirit.

nice topic sky.
Back to top Go down
Anchor
Anchor

Number of posts : 1441
Humor : Some
Registration date : 2009-01-25

meditation methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: meditation methods   meditation methods Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 3:14 pm

Liking what I have read. Simplicity is the key IMO. Meditation has been dressed up by TPTB to be something esoteric and hard, so money can be made teaching it, and in fact to discourage people from even getting started. I wrote the below post to start a thread on the forum that shall not be named.

I think this is fair game as I wrote it :) So here it is reposted with a few minor context edits. It contains a description of how I do it.

Meditating Simply

I am not an expert in this, but I will tell you what I have learned about meditation in as simple form as I can.

1) You have to do it
2) No one will do it for you
3) Regular daily practise is essential for rapid progress
4) There are as many ways to meditate as there are people on the planet!
5) There are good systems that work for many people
6) There are systems that don’t work so well for many people (but still work for some people)
7) You can make up your own system, but it is often a good idea to try a mainstream system and see how you go – to get started
8) There are some common themes in common meditation wisdom: breathing is important and deserves focus; silence is very handy; thoughts are ok, watch them as an observer
9) Very many mediators’ encounter layers of experience, the more you do the deeper you can go.
10) Teachers are useful. When you need them, you will get them – so don’t worry about this

This is how I do it. Even doing all this can be a real drama for some people - it was for me to start with

a) Get up at the same time each day, then before you eat....
b) Sit in a chair (obviously there are many postures you can use, I find just sitting on a firm chair with my back upright is just fine)
c) Shut your eyes - relax
d) Breath
e) Mentally express gratitude for the day
f) Ask for blessing , protection and guidance for this day
g) Keep Breathing (not joking here, pay attention to it)
h) Observe your mind at work
i) Keep going

Your objective is ultimately to bring everything to a still focus - I wouldn't bother till you got your rhythm working.

Where you go from here is down to you.

If you do this for a few weeks, even for as little as 5mins per day, you will probably start encountering some useful synchronicities in your life that will point you in the right direction.

Meditation is essential!

John..
Back to top Go down
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

Number of posts : 4957
Humor : I hope so
Registration date : 2009-01-24

meditation methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: meditation methods   meditation methods Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 11:28 am

Nice report Anchor.

Everytime I meditate it is a little different. never the same twice. it is like a living science that evolves as I do, I hope anyway...LOL
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

Number of posts : 2954
Registration date : 2009-07-11

meditation methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: meditation methods   meditation methods Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 10:52 am

Anybody here use a meditation cushion whilst meditating in a seated position ?

For reference:

meditation methods Meditation_Cushion_and_Mat_Set_-_Purple

I cant really add to this thread in the form of what do for med...as the one method I know very well to achieve the sweet spot is a system..and the new method I am learning is a system also. Both are dependant on energy cultivation and putting the mind into the body.

Putting the mind into one thought of breath and slow body movements in sync for half an hour allows for pretty cool meditation from my experience. YMMV?

I ask about the cushion as I've seen some for sale that contain polyester, and from what I have been studying it seems the synthetics restrict flow of Yin/Earth energy.

Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...

meditation methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: meditation methods   meditation methods Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 11:56 am

no, but i got a "brick" i perch on to lower knees
and straighten back - well, not so much a perch
as a hatching thingy peek
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
giovonni
giovonni

Number of posts : 549
Humor : lots of it!
Registration date : 2009-02-19

meditation methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: meditation methods   meditation methods Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 12:24 pm

WineHippie wrote:
no, but i got a "brick" i perch on to lower knees
and straighten back - well, not so much a perch
as a hatching thingy peek

you could sit on my lap !
oopsb i'm joking of course
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

meditation methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: meditation methods   meditation methods Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 10:17 pm

lol!

I was thinking of making an orgone med cushion last night... thats why I ask thee question. not sure if that would screw around with what I'm doing at the moment though scratch
Back to top Go down
stal
stal

Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2009-02-18

meditation methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: meditation methods   meditation methods Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 12:45 am

haha never saw this thread til just now.

I never meditate in any proper 'official' sense.

Can put myself in a 'meditative state' pretty much at will though, any time or place. I have 'thought cues' set up, so if i want to switch states i think about these particular thoughts (loaded with pieces of several emotions as well) and that kicks off a pre-programmed routine that can be done at almost any time/place.

And i honestly couldn't descride the sequence to you.

-------

side note - in high school we had set meditation periods once or twice a week in our senior years. Group meditation, led by one of the lay staff. Never the priests though.

At the time it was kinda odd, but at the same time it was a 'bludge' for most. A whole period of laying on the floor. Sleeping if you could get away with it.

The routine was the same each time, right from the very first time in yr 7.

Lay down on your back and follow the instructions of the teacher.

I can see bits of it matching up with bits of what everyone else has posted, but other bits were different. I can't actually remeber the whole deal.

Breathing, tenseing and relaxing from fingertips in to the body and down the legs.

Walking up/down stairs and/or through doors.

Listening to a 'story'

after that nothing.

Oh, just in case y'all forgot, this was at a jesuit boarding school.

Hope i'm not the only one who finds that a little odd lol

-------

apologies if this has derailed the thread at all :)
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

meditation methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: meditation methods   meditation methods Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 6:56 am

sunny

that sounds like the meditation a couple of my yoga teachers did..
on the floor..tensing..and so on

everyone with heads in one direction and all the same..i never thought about if it was a specific direction.. scratch

anyway the one thing that always amused me..this was a certain teaching group..
was that they would not be at the side of the room where the feet were...either side or the head direction was ok..
one actaully said that the negetive stuff came out the feet ..

Sleep

no derailment that i can see
but that is interesting about it being a jesuit school..,,were you listening to certain music or sound ?
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

meditation methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: meditation methods   meditation methods Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 9:19 am

Sky its an interesting/good rule you put in place to not allow links rainbow heart

I cant say much about what I do now for two reasons..No links..and my feeling says that if I want to learn more...keep trap shut LOL

Interesting account Stal affraid

Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

meditation methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: meditation methods   meditation methods Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 11:06 am

lol!

Soma

my point was the method or style or tweaks we have put to stuff
or basically
what were we personally familiar with and maybe using..not just what systems are out there
i mean..anyone can do the research but speaking to others and learning what works or doesn't is
imo better info...

and big duh on my part..i forgot we have a section for meditation... sorrysmil
froggy if you think we need moved..feel free

anyway...you bring up an interesting question
about not talking so you learn more.....is that strictly your feeling or did someone say it to you
just curious..maybe you can elaborate about it without giving any details as to how to

devil or angel

maybe not..

I dunno

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

meditation methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: meditation methods   meditation methods Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

meditation methods
Page 1 of 1