the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

living off the grid

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

living off the grid Empty
PostSubject: living off the grid   living off the grid Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 7:23 am

sunny

i don't know how many of you are old fans of some of the homesteading type mags that have been around
but i am and we (hubby and i) have tried to incorporated as much of the off the grid stuff as we could
so i enjoy reading how others are or have done it
hope you go to the link and follow the photos..it isn't long but just a nice read....it can be done..even if in little steps
just ask hippie..she did it

toast

'Off The Grid': 9 Amazing Attempts To Live Without The Electricity Grid (PHOTOS)

As I crisscrossed America researching for Off The Grid: Inside the Movement for More Space, Less Government, and True Independence in Modern America, I encountered an unsatisfied, pent-up demand to live offgrid. And those who seek to live this way want to do so without obstacles like zoning, building permits, or social ostracism (all of which I encountered). I suspect most people consider using a composting toilet, for example, a fate worse than sleeping in their car. But for those on a limited budget, living off the grid appears to solve all sorts of problems, housing being the most immediate; there are no power or water bills, which reduces the amount of money one needs to live well. As long as one can afford the up-front payment for the equipment, one can live comfortably, use the latest gadgets, and avoid most of the hardships suffered by the earlier generation of off-gridders.

The main requirement is a change of mind-set. Most Americans are taught, or at the very least encouraged to believe, that homes must be a certain way. Well before the invention of TV, marketers pushed "ideal lifestyle" scenarios that included fridges and washing machines and electric gadgets of all kinds. The power companies, of course, subsidized the development and marketing of these products, and intentionally or not, dependence on the grid became a fact of life in America. Americans are happy and proud to buy and use recycled toilet paper, but a composting toilet is another matter, a level most people won't even think about.

The crunchy, granola off-gridders--environmentalists and other anti-capitalists--are just part of the story. The other big off-the-grid grouping is made up of right-wing survivalists, veterans, and traditional good ol' boys who were never on the grid in the first place.

Like many millions of Americans, they are losing faith in the ability of the state to fulfill its basic functions--to prevent the strong from oppressing the weak and to regulate the markets. The final straw was the triumph of the "banksters" (and insurers and hedge-fund managers) in keeping their jobs, barring a few layoffs. It was quite a trick the financial community pulled, scamming the world for billions of dollars through the real estate bubble. The anger is still palpable and off-grid real estate may be the only remaining answer for many.

I should point out that I am not an American. This collapse in trust, however, is global. With the global economy in danger, many believe that what's needed is a glocal (global and local) solution.
from Off The Grid: Inside the Movement for More Space, Less Government, and True Independence in Modern America by Nick Rosen.

Copyright ©️ 2010 by Nick Rosen

IMAGES ARE FOR ONE-TIME EXCLUSIVE USE ONLY AS A TIE-IN WITH HUFFINGTON POST. NO SALES, NO TRANSFERS.

photos here:..http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nick-rosen/off-the-grid-9-amazing-at_b_654157.html#s116857
Back to top Go down
zuni
zuni

Number of posts : 1319
Humor : does a fat kid miss cake ???
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: living off the grid   living off the grid Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 8:46 am

cool sky.......thank you.....i wanta see those photos but this link does not work........do you have another ??
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: living off the grid   living off the grid Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 9:25 am

moon walk

so sorry Zuni..i ususally check to make sure and this time i didn't..so it figures

but it is more pics of the peoples not their hovels....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nick-rosen/off-the-grid-9-amazing-at_b_654157.html

and if you go to the home page of huff post here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/

and go down the right hand column there is a story on the best nude beaches..lol
that you just might wanna check out
how you doin in captivity anyway

wave
Back to top Go down
zuni
zuni

PostSubject: Re: living off the grid   living off the grid Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 1:39 pm

thanks sky........

hehehe saw that nudist beach site too.....oh i had actually been to one of those beaches..... the one in hawaii.....its called little beach.......i used to sleep on the beach there for weeks on end.......i love that place.........

life in captivity....... well its okay when your with the one you love............... i ve actually taken up baking......i bake one or two triple decker cakes a week........so ive been putting on some weight...... lol! we both have...... lol!

i hardly ever leave the house.......except to go over to to m's dads house and tinker around with the landscape........ the mellons i planted over there are doing great.......but the tomatos have some kinda sickness........yesterday i removed the effected leaves........not sure whats up with that........

but yea doing great over here......couldn t be happier actually.......we are still planing on movin to a deserted island..........real soon.......clap

hows life in your neck of the woods ??
we haven t made it over there yet.......but we want to....

sunny wave
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: living off the grid   living off the grid Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 3:47 pm

affraid

oh zuni..that is tomato blight you are dealing with...it is a fungus..so don't keep the infected parts anywhere near the
good plants
do a search on tomato blight and you can get pics and more articles than you can count
here's one
http://tribune-democrat.com/local/x1617556626/Experts-Tomato-blight-is-back
the weather doesn't help and this is year two in a nasty damp that keeps it going
try to keep the leaves from touching the ground

oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh cakes, huh..gaining weight huh... smileyeatingchoc :laughter: :laughter: :laughter:
sounds very domestic...lol

and you have the address..so anytime..just give a yell but if you keep eating cake you ain't goin to pedal like you used too...lol
i posted some garden updates and posie pics this morning so you can see we're doin fine...

i think an island it would be too easy to find ya..my choice is a cabin in the woods in the deep forrest...
and i can't wait to hear how you make it thur this winter..been a while since you've seen snow, hasn't it...??? BigSmile2
rainbow
Back to top Go down
zuni
zuni

PostSubject: Re: living off the grid   living off the grid Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 5:25 pm

sky your right....its the blight.......
i just phoned m's dad to tell him.......dam i hope we can get rid of it quickly........ thank you so much for the diagnosis.........we are gonna try copper...... do you think it ll work ?? i read it may work......but what do you think???

yep the weight thing will slow don my peddeling for sure.....lol....have to push that bike up the hill....lol

i like your idea of the forrest cabin.......sounds cozy.......but the in the winter i might freeze....lol i do love the forrest.......

actually i did see a bit of snow this year when m and i came back from our trip.......
but we ll be hittin the road again before winter......... sunny

i saw your echinasia !!!!! beautiful.....wow...... if we make it to pa im really lookin forward to sittin in your lovely garden........ flower
and checkin out your cats......do you still have a bunch in the barn ???? purr no animals around here......very sterile environment....... bigw
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: living off the grid   living off the grid Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 7:07 pm

moon walk

zuni
i hear copper is a good one..so let us know how it works out

we had nasty blight last year and that is why we have tomatos in 3 different places..mostly it is when you have a lot of rain or humidity and the plants don't dry off ..another reason to only water the roots...
hubby strips the leaves and if that doesn't work he pulls the plant...he pulled one yesterday
but it is a naturally occuring fungus and is in most soils....it is only a problem with a lot of dampness
also do the usual with washing your hands and not touching other plants..it will get on just about anything so a little problem can go big on you real fast like
even burning spreads the spores...we put it in a plastic bag..tie it shut tight and let the garbage guy have it....
do not compost plants with blight
phew
boy guess that takes us sideways for a topic, huh?... lol!

ok..yeah three feral cats in the barn..they sit at the gate and wait for me to feed them every morning
and mokie the house cats wants to fight them...sigh
and the two doggies
here they are...biggie (beagle/st bernard cross) and lickie (standard poodle)
living off the grid Hpim2415

and can you find the cat in this picture?
living off the grid Hpim3110
it's mokie..the killer cat

and lots of other critters...when i was doing dam pics a cat bird actually came out and watched...
it was so cool..

and you would be welcome to sit in the garden..or anywhere..
love
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: living off the grid   living off the grid Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

living off the grid
Page 1 of 1