the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space

Go down 
+2
Reunite
sky otter
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space Empty
PostSubject: Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space   Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 11:50 am

New cosmic mystery: Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space
The Herschel telescope has spotted a vast hole in space. Scientists say it could provide clues to how newborn stars shake off their birth clouds.

Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space 05-11-10

By Space.com staff / May 11, 2010

A vast hole in space has been unexpectedly discovered in a part of the universe thought to be packed with a cloud of dense gas and dust – the latest in a string of cosmic finds by the European Herschel infrared space telescope.
The surprising hole in space has provided astronomers with a new glimpse at the end of the star-forming process.

"No one has ever seen a hole like this," said study team member Tom Megeath of the University of Toledo in Ohio. "It's as surprising as knowing you have worms tunneling under your lawn, but finding one morning that they have created a huge, yawning pit."

IN PICTURES: Spectacular Supernovas

Stars are born in dense clouds of dust and gas, and while jets of gas have been spotted coming from young stars, the process of how a star uses this gas to disperse surrounding debris and emerge from its birth cloud has not been understood.

This latest discovery byHerschel, an infrared space telescope built by the European Space Agency, may be an unexpected step in the star-forming process.

A cloud of bright, reflective gas, known to astronomers as NGC 1999, is located next to a black patch of sky. For most of the 20th century, these black patches were understood to be dense clouds of dust and gas that block light that would normally pass through.

As Herschel's infrared eye looked in the direction of NGC 1999 to study nearby young stars, the cloud continued to look black, even though the telescope's infrared technology is designed to penetrate through such dense cloud material. This meant that either the cloud was immensely dense, or Herschel had happened upon a previously unexplained phenomenon.

Astronomers continued their investigation using ground-based telescopes and found the same results when looking at the patch of gas. This led to the conclusion that the patch looks black not because it is an extremely dense pocket of gas, but because it is truly empty – something had blown a hole through the cloud.
The astronomers think the hole must have been opened when the narrow jets of gas from some of the young stars in the region punctured the sheet of dust and gas that forms NGC 1999. The powerful radiation from a nearby mature star may have also helped to create the hole, researchers said.

Whatever the exact cause of the hole may be, the discovery may be an important glimpse into the way newborn stars shake off their birth clouds that helps astronomers develop a better understanding of the entire star-forming process, researchers said.

Herschel is the largest and most powerful infrared telescope in space today. The European Space Agency launched the observatory into orbit in May 2009.

Top 10 Star Mysteries
Birth of 'Impossible' Star Seen by European Space Telescope
The Monitor's View
NASA and Obama's budget: the politics and ideals of human space exploration

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2010/0511/New-cosmic-mystery-Herschel-telescope-spots-giant-hole-in-space
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

Number of posts : 4993
Humor : Dry and Wet
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space   Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 5:30 pm

Amazing picture. So this new telescope is bigger and better than the hubble I take it. So if it's infrared I'm guessing they apply colour filters too.
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

Number of posts : 2198
Humor : most definitely
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space   Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 6:09 pm

Sky that is an amazing picture. My first impression was to be silly and ask if we need to heal this hole too. But I'm going to behave myself.
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space   Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 6:12 pm

lol!

Hey L...why behave at all

and maybe it's an escape hatch... too funny
Back to top Go down
stal
stal

Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space   Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 6:15 pm

thats pretty cool
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

PostSubject: Re: Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space   Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 6:17 pm

Okay sky I won't I'm in a pretty silly mood right R or should I say sis.... fired up

Is your new avatar Lilly of the Valleys? I love them.
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

PostSubject: Re: Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space   Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 6:22 pm

lol!

It's a good DAY to be silly.
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space   Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 7:19 pm

lol!

yep lily of the valley is one of my favorite scents...last week the lilac and the l-0-t-v were both blooming..it was maRveLous

here's the original
Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space Hpim0711
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

PostSubject: Re: Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space   Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 8:17 pm

My backyard is filled with them! My favorite scent too! They're even growing in the bleeding hearts bush, I was tempted to pick them but decided to let them have their way where they wanted to be. flower
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

Number of posts : 5650
Humor : Some things just aren't funny.
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space   Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 9:59 pm

scratch I'm just going to go ahead and ask this; how can they recognize a hole in space when it is all black up there anyway, I mean apart from the stars and planets and stuff. Then again I suppose they know where the black holes are, but I can't figure out how they do that either unless everything gets sucked into a black hole.

I know .....................why is the sky blue. lol!
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

PostSubject: Re: Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space   Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 11:00 pm

They are using an infrared lens where the wavelength is longer than visible light. NVG's are infrared.

From wiki -

Quote :
Infrared

The name means below red, the Latin infra meaning "below". Red is the color of the longest wavelengths of visible light. Infrared light has a longer wavelength (and so a lower frequency) than that of red light visible to humans, hence the literal meaning of below red.
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space   Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 9:04 am

moon walk

check out the andy lloyd vid in the video section below for more info on the telescope..neat stuff

wowb
Back to top Go down
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

Number of posts : 4957
Humor : I hope so
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space   Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 9:12 am

Great picture Sky.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space   Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Herschel telescope spots giant hole in space
Page 1 of 1