the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Largest Anglo-Saxon Treasure Found

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

Largest Anglo-Saxon Treasure Found Empty
PostSubject: Largest Anglo-Saxon Treasure Found   Largest Anglo-Saxon Treasure Found Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 8:57 am

sunny

this looks like a must watch..i couldn't get the video to copy..sorry

Largest Anglo-Saxon Treasure Found 09092410

GOLD HOARD PICTURES: Largest Anglo-Saxon Treasure Found

September 24, 2009--Buried for centuries in a field in central England, this finely worked, 1,300-year-old fragment of gold plate was revealed today as part of the largest Anglo-Saxon hoard ever found.

Showing two eagles flanking a fish, the Dark Ages treasure was one of more than 1,500 scattered gold and silver artifacts unearthed in July by metal detector enthusiast Terry Herbert on his friend's farm near the town of Burntwood.

"The quantity of gold is amazing but, more importantly, the craftsmanship is consummate," Kevin Leahy of the London-based Portable Antiquities Scheme said in a statement. The group records archaeological objects discovered by amateur treasure hunters in the U.K.

"This was the very best that the Anglo-Saxon metalworkers could do," Leahy said. "And they were very good."

--James Owen —Photograph by David Rowan, Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/09/photogalleries/anglo-saxon-gold-hoard-pictures/

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/lost-gold-of-the-dark-ages-5121/Overview
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

Number of posts : 2198
Humor : most definitely
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Largest Anglo-Saxon Treasure Found   Largest Anglo-Saxon Treasure Found Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 12:44 pm

I watched the video this morning, an amazing find. Makes me want to get a metal detector and go travelling!
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

Number of posts : 2954
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Largest Anglo-Saxon Treasure Found   Largest Anglo-Saxon Treasure Found Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 1:17 pm

Awesome find and thanks for pointing that out Sky!

Its things like this which make me happy buying Nexus mag, as I'm a bit one tracked focused at times. ;)

L222, I would love a minelab detector LOL (I make prototypes for minelab)
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

Number of posts : 2198
Humor : most definitely
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Largest Anglo-Saxon Treasure Found   Largest Anglo-Saxon Treasure Found Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 7:29 am

Cool beans! Do you think they would send me one to test out?.... lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Largest Anglo-Saxon Treasure Found   Largest Anglo-Saxon Treasure Found Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Largest Anglo-Saxon Treasure Found
Page 1 of 1