the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

iceland freedom of speech - RIGHT ON!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...
Registration date : 2009-01-23

iceland freedom of speech - RIGHT ON! Empty
PostSubject: iceland freedom of speech - RIGHT ON!   iceland freedom of speech - RIGHT ON! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 7:01 am

The Icelandic Government has been working alongside anonymous mass document leaking website Wikileaks to create a safe haven for offshore journalists and whistle-blowers. Dubbed the Icelandic Modern Media Initiative, the proposal aims to;

…task the government with finding ways to strengthen freedom of expression around world and in Iceland, as well as providing strong protections for sources and whistleblowers. To this end the legal environment should be explored in such a way that the goals can be defined, and changes to law or new law proposals can be prepared. The legal environments of other countries should be considered, with the purpose of assembling the best laws to make Iceland a leader of freedoms of expression and information. We also feel it is high time to establish the first Icelandic international prize: The Icelandic Freedom of Expression Award.

In an interview with Nieman Journalism Lab’s Jonathan Stray, Icelandic parliament member Birgitta Jónsdóttir confirmed a proposal for media law reform will be put to parliament on Tuesday 16th February. Under the proposed laws – protection will be granted to all anonymous sources who go public after “a promise of confidentiality by a journalist or media organization”; whistle-blowers who “reveal important matters in the public interest” and internet service providers.

See the Wikileaks release:

source: http://www.psfk.com/2010/02/wikileaks-icelandic-parliament-to-create-free-speach-safe-haven.html
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
Somamech
Somamech

Number of posts : 2954
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: iceland freedom of speech - RIGHT ON!   iceland freedom of speech - RIGHT ON! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 7:28 am

Thanks for posting that WH :)

Blessings and all the best for their efforts which one can only hope become Triumphs.

In the article it mentioned this:

In an interview with Nieman Journalism Lab’s Jonathan Stray, Icelandic parliament member Birgitta Jónsdóttir confirmed a proposal for media law reform will be put to parliament on Tuesday 16th February

As that was last week I'm wondering how it all washed out ?
Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: iceland freedom of speech - RIGHT ON!   iceland freedom of speech - RIGHT ON! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 7:37 am

mornin', soma
i heard it was "tabled" but will do some digging.....
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
Somamech
Somamech

Number of posts : 2954
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: iceland freedom of speech - RIGHT ON!   iceland freedom of speech - RIGHT ON! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:10 am

Coool !

Cabsav pouring on the oak bar now for ya mate lol!
Back to top Go down
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

Number of posts : 4957
Humor : I hope so
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: iceland freedom of speech - RIGHT ON!   iceland freedom of speech - RIGHT ON! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 7:05 am

That is good information, I hope they succeed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: iceland freedom of speech - RIGHT ON!   iceland freedom of speech - RIGHT ON! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

iceland freedom of speech - RIGHT ON!
Page 1 of 1