the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid Empty
PostSubject: CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid   CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 6:06 pm

affraid

Apophis Asteroid To Scrape Past Earth, Closer Than Any Known Object (VIDEO)

First Posted: 12-18-09 05:26 PM | Updated: 12-18-09 05:44 PM
Get Breaking News Alerts
never spam

Print
CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid, was believed by scientists to have a greater than 2 percent chance of hitting earth.

Wired explains,

The asteroid appeared ready to give the Earth its closest shave since astronomers began looking for such things. It was judged a 4 on the Torino Impact Hazard Scale for a short time, the highest rating any near-Earth object has received.

Scientists have since scaled back their predictions -- they now believe the odds of it crashing into earth are 1 in 250,000 -- but astronomers do expect it to come startlingly close to the earth's surface, whizzing past our planet just 18,300 miles away in April 2029.

The Jet Propulsion Laboratory has created a simulation of the asteroid's path past earth. See it in action (from Apophis' perspective) below.

sorry to see the vid you have to go to the link..haven't figured out how to move the thing..
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/18/apophis-asteroid-to-scrap_n_397680.html
wave
Back to top Go down
New World Orphan
New World Orphan

Number of posts : 709
Humor : No thank you
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid   CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 2:28 am

Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid   CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 6:15 pm

sunny

no.. i had never heard of him..but that is very interesting reading

i think the creation myths with snakes must have something in common
and there is a serpent mound in ohio that has always fascinated me
and the two snakes holding each others tails as infinity..hummmmmmmmm
must mean something scratch

i did have a doberman that i called Hapi..after the god of entails
that was when magnum, p.i. had his two dobermans named zues and apollo

rockin
Back to top Go down
raulduke
raulduke

Number of posts : 404
Humor : myself
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid   CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 11:02 pm

Yeah sky I've heard a bunch of researchers talking about this. The way I understand it is that it's on an eliptical orbit that kind a has it sharply wrapping around earth, on the initial pass actually coming inside our satelites, and then it's predicted to pass close on the return pass as well. The variable though that some guys are talking about is how earth's gravity will affect it on the initial pass, some of'em think it'll be enough to pull it all the way in on the second pass. affraid

No worries though (about apophis at least) my man Niel Degrasse Tyson has it covered.
Back to top Go down
New World Orphan
New World Orphan

Number of posts : 709
Humor : No thank you
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid   CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 12:37 am

This would be a great excuse for Obama to really get down with a star wars program. Or meet some other life forms. just a thought
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

Number of posts : 5325
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid   CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 7:31 am

Everything will be alright. We'll just send up Bruce Willis.

Bad movie imo!
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

Number of posts : 2954
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid   CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 8:44 am

Lucky we got the starship enterprise tractor beam BigSmile2

Too bad one of the directors on the board of the starship enterprise tractor beam is shady :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_A._Gordon
Back to top Go down
raulduke
raulduke

Number of posts : 404
Humor : myself
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid   CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 2:47 am

micjer wrote:
Everything will be alright. We'll just send up Bruce Willis.

Bad movie imo!

lol! Haha, yeah they went the "action packed" approach.

I guess a movie about a killer asteroid that ends with a spaceship parking next to the asteroid to slightly change it's trajectory, probably wouldn't have filled many seats. Let's blow it up with nukes, it'll be sweet, we'll have a shit ton more asteroids to deal with but they'll be smaller, radioactive, but smaller! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid   CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CommentsApophis, a 900-foot asteroid
Page 1 of 1