the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Annual Leonid display

Go down 
+3
Gabriel
WineHippie
sky otter
7 posters
AuthorMessage
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

Annual Leonid display Empty
PostSubject: Annual Leonid display   Annual Leonid display Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 3:13 pm

KwlStar_V7QXNM
if your sky is clear i hope you get to watch..these can be one of the best shows of the year..
we are already clouded over.. raincloud cry-blow

sunny
It’s prime time for colorful meteor shower
Annual Leonid display should be good in North America, even better in Asia

By Robert Roy Britt
Editorial director

updated 12:03 p.m. ET, Mon., Nov . 16, 2009
One of the best annual meteor showers will peak in the pre-dawn hours Tuesday, and for some skywatchers the show could be quite impressive.

The best seats are in Asia, but North American observers should be treated to an above-average performance of the Leonid meteor shower, weather permitting. The trick for all observers is to head outside in the wee hours of the morning — between 1 a.m. and dawn — regardless of where you live.

The Leonids put on a solid show every year, if skies are clear and moonlight does not interfere. This year the moon is near its new phase, and thus it won't be a factor that detracts from the show. For anyone in the Northern Hemisphere with dark skies, away from urban and suburban lighting, the meteor shower should be worth getting up early to see.

"We're predicting 20 to 30 meteors per hour over the Americas, and as many as 200 to 300 per hour over Asia," said Bill Cooke of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office. Other astronomers who work in the nascent field of meteor shower prediction have put out similar forecasts.

Urban dwellers and suburbanites will see far fewer, as the fainter meteors will be drowned out by local lights.

Behind the Leonids
The Leonids are created by Comet Swift-Tuttle, which passes through the inner solar system every 33 years on its orbit around the sun. Each time by, it leaves a new river of debris, consisting mostly of bits of ice and rock no bigger than a sand grain, but including a few the size of a pea or marble.

Over time, these cosmic streams spread out, so predicting exactly what will happen is difficult.

"We can predict when Earth will cross a debris stream with pretty good accuracy," Cooke said. "The intensity of the display is less certain, though, because we don't know how much debris is in each stream."

When Earth plows into the debris, the bits hit the atmosphere and vaporize, creating sometimes dramatic streaks of light and the occasional fireball with a smoky-looking trail that can remain visible for several minutes.

The Leonid stream is moving in the opposite direction of Earth, producing impact speeds of 160,000 mph (72 kilometers per second) — higher than many other meteors.

"Such speeds tend to produce meteors with hues of white, blue, aquamarine and even green," says Joe Rao, Space.com's skywatching columnist.

How to watch
The best viewing will be in rural areas. Get out of town if you can. If you have local lights, scout a location in advance where the lights are blocked by a building, tree or hill.

Dress warmly, and take a blanket or lounge chair so you can lie back and scan as much of the sky as possible. "At this time of year, meteor watching can be a long, cold business," Rao reminds people.

Leonids can appear anywhere, but if you trace them back, they all point to a hub, or radiant, in the constellation Leo — hence the name.

Give your eyes 15 minutes to adjust to the darkness. Then give the show at least a half-hour. The hourly rates stated above typically come in bursts, with lulls that may test your patience. No special equipment is needed. Telescopes and binoculars are of no use because meteors move too quickly.

When to watch
Earth will pass through one of the denser debris streams at around 4 a.m. ET (1 a.m. PT) Tuesday. If you have only an hour or less to watch, center it around this time. Leo will be high in the sky for East Coast skywatchers, putting more meteors into view. In the West, Leo will be low in the eastern sky at this time, so fewer shooting stars will be above the horizon, and therefore Western skywatchers should also try to stick it out until daybreak.

Across Europe, the best bet is to watch anytime between 1 a.m. and daybreak local time.

The planet will pass through an even denser stream later, just before dawn Wednesday in Indonesia and China, but that show won't be visible from North America because it will be daytime here.

One truth about the Leonids: They always produce ... and they sometimes produce spectacular, unforgettable fireballs.

©️ 2009 Space.com. All rights reserved. More from Space.com
Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Annual Leonid display   Annual Leonid display Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 3:35 pm

okie dokie then, am gonna take a nap now so i can go outside
at 2 am and i will give it an hour, at least, that is, if there
is no cloud cover.... all clear for now, fingers crossed
tx, lil otter
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

Number of posts : 4957
Humor : I hope so
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Annual Leonid display   Annual Leonid display Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 6:18 pm

I will check it out as well if clear? Thanks otter for the heads up.

Below is a video of a what looked like a blank spot to astronomers in the sky, but when they looked at the spot with the Hubble telescope for 10 days they saw many things.

Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: Annual Leonid display   Annual Leonid display Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 9:39 pm

cheers

i hope you guys get to see them ..it's spectacular..
but another year we are clouded over..grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

hey Gabe..is that you dancin in the vid???

it sure puts us in our place if we didn't already know how very tiny we are..

wave
Back to top Go down
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

PostSubject: Re: Annual Leonid display   Annual Leonid display Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:28 am

Yeah thats me...LOL, I thought the first time I saw the guy, that it was a prank video being played on me.
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

Number of posts : 5325

PostSubject: Re: Annual Leonid display   Annual Leonid display Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 7:05 am

Saw some last night .. cool!

gabe that vid puts things in perspective doesn't it. 78 billion light years. Holy smokes! And we are the only planet with life on it ..... ya ok.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

PostSubject: Re: Annual Leonid display   Annual Leonid display Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 2:07 pm

Yeah mic it does....Makes all things seem a little smaller. That is one thing I look forward too after physical death, the ability to go explore other places hopefully a little easier than we can while in the flesh body.

Mic and anyone else that wants to....please pray for me as I have been attacked with the flu. Real bad attack on my lungs, congestion and a lot of heavy coughing, with fever. I don't know what kind it is of course, but it is a real drag.

Started feeling it the first week of Nov. in my lungs and it seemed to take a long time to finally set in, but during the last week it has become in attack mode.

It seems to go away for a few hours, and then I feel good for about 6 hours, then it comes back and kicks my ass again, this cycle repeats over and over.

Thanks for the prayers.
Back to top Go down
Linda
Linda

Number of posts : 2496
Humor : Of Course!

PostSubject: Re: Annual Leonid display   Annual Leonid display Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 2:48 pm

Of course sweet brother. I am praying for a fast recovery and sending lots of love and comfort to you. Love you. hugv
Back to top Go down
http://wheresoulsreside.com/
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

PostSubject: Re: Annual Leonid display   Annual Leonid display Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 3:02 pm

Thank you Linda good job
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: Annual Leonid display   Annual Leonid display Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 4:09 pm

flower

Gabe

it really isn't the flu..i don't know what it is..but we have folks here dealing with the same thing..
hubby had it last fall and you could hear the stuff making his lungs wease..it is very scary and seems to leave when you take something
but it comes right back.....
try warm drinks and keeping your torso warmer than you would like..that seems to cook those little germs out..
good energy on it's way for you
hugv
Back to top Go down
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

PostSubject: Re: Annual Leonid display   Annual Leonid display Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 4:14 pm

Thanks sky, I know I have never experienced something like this before. The kicking my ass for several hours and then it seems to go away for several hours and I fell fine. It is so weird it is probably something cooked up by good ole Uncle Sugar.

Sky how long did it last in your experience? Weeks? Days?
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

Number of posts : 5325

PostSubject: Re: Annual Leonid display   Annual Leonid display Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 4:33 pm

Get well soon my friend. Of course prayers are heading your way.
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

Number of posts : 2198
Humor : most definitely
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Annual Leonid display   Annual Leonid display Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 5:39 pm

Gabe,

I praying you feel better I know how terible you can feel from whatever it is that's floating around out there. I just got over being sick myself and it was like no flu or virus I've ever had before. Use your grounding abilities to take away the illness and positive attitude to keep it away. It does help.

L222
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: Annual Leonid display   Annual Leonid display Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 6:08 pm

flower

ah gabe.it lasted at least 5 or 6 weeks..but not all that time was bad..like you said..it comes and goes...
and it was scary cause i could hear the gruggle in his chest when he was sleeping
then he finally started to sweat buckets and after two days of that he was ok...
i got a touch of it..but not like he did..so maybe it hits guys harder...

the citrus seems to help..lemon in room temp water and lime the same way
i even did the old lemon, honey and whiskey so he could get some sleep..
yep he'd be good for a while then crash...

take good care of you..and know we are sending healing energy

hugv
Back to top Go down
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

PostSubject: Re: Annual Leonid display   Annual Leonid display Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 12:44 am

Thanks sky for the info and the energy. It is interesting you mention citrus, because I have been drinking a LOT of orange juice since this started attacking me. I found myself almost craving OJ, so I started drinking it in large amounts. I went through a gallon in a two day period....LOL I've never drank so much OJ before in short periods of time. :love sick:
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

PostSubject: Re: Annual Leonid display   Annual Leonid display Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 8:54 am

I actually got a small viewing a couple of nights ago. I wondered what was up with the strange activity in the skies, you just never do know these days. It was strange because cloudy is typical for us lately but this was one night that it actually cleared up.
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

Number of posts : 2954
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Annual Leonid display   Annual Leonid display Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 9:03 am

Any pics ?

Sounds wonderfull for us folk down here with the southern cross in our sky

sunny
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

PostSubject: Re: Annual Leonid display   Annual Leonid display Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 9:14 am

Sorry my cameras are broken, I'm waiting for Santa to leave me one under the tree.

I didn't even have a telescope, I was lying down for the night and happened to look up through my bedroom window and bright lights were popping in and out of existence in different spots close to each other on a clear night. I kept watching and saw trails of lights. I wish I had known it was coming I would have borrowed a camera.
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

Number of posts : 2954
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Annual Leonid display   Annual Leonid display Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 10:19 am

Sounds awesome Lightning ;)

sunny
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: Annual Leonid display   Annual Leonid display Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 11:17 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Annual Leonid display   Annual Leonid display Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Annual Leonid display
Page 1 of 1