the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Growing Mint in a pot?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Somamech
Somamech

Number of posts : 2954
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Growing Mint in a pot? Empty
PostSubject: Growing Mint in a pot?   Growing Mint in a pot? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 8:37 am

Well I sowed some mint last year in a pot and it grew like it was Mint! It was very healthy and quite large but now the warmer weather is here the mint pot doesnt quite have that sheen to it.

Should I re-pot it or start again ?

Since I have re-enachanted myself with excercise (getting back to numuro uno) I cannot get enough of Grapefruit and orange juice with about a sprig of fresh mint finely chopped mixed in.. must be Ruby Red grapefruits though LOL
Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Growing Mint in a pot?   Growing Mint in a pot? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 8:47 am

sounds enchanting, indeed....
i bet otter (our resident gardener/photographer)
would have answer for you.... where mint grew
around my CA home, it liked cool, damp, shaded
places.... perhaps move the pots?
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
Somamech
Somamech

PostSubject: Re: Growing Mint in a pot?   Growing Mint in a pot? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 8:52 am

WineHippie wrote:
sounds enchanting, indeed....
i bet otter (our resident gardener/photographer)
would have answer for you.... where mint grew
around my CA home, it liked cool, damp, shaded
places.... perhaps move the pots?

Ahh thx WH as now you mentioned it the pot is in direct sun against a wall facing the north which down under is the sun wall.

sunny
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Growing Mint in a pot?   Growing Mint in a pot? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 9:38 am

flower

ah Soma

sun or shade..mint doesn't care..
but it spreads by sending out roots so it probably just needs a bigger pot..or more pots
you can be the mint king by sharing with your friends..lol
it can be quite a thug left on it's own.... very invasive.. and takes ove any place it can

so if you pull it out of it's pot you will probably see more roots than dirt..and that'll tell ya
how long you have till the next move

that grapefruit sounds devine..
hugv
Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Growing Mint in a pot?   Growing Mint in a pot? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 4:49 pm

i knew otter would know......
cheers
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
Somamech
Somamech

PostSubject: Re: Growing Mint in a pot?   Growing Mint in a pot? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 8:39 am

Sky, like WH I knew you would be the garden nut to help me out matey cheers

I read your advice yesterday but due to a public holiday here in Melbs for a frigging horse race of all things I was busy with the garden and a bit of swimming to say thank you and reply LOL . Anyway I poked around in the pot and YEP my friend you were 110% right and my dear little mint pot needs a new lease of life by being seperated and spreading their joy LOL

It was much like playing with worms in a worm farm except in this case being minty the giver of delicious smell and delight, the poor little blighter was root bound :(

Although I will keep the mint in the same pot I will look for a new owner of my liitle pal so I can seperate the pot in about half of what is growing in there right now!

Sky and the rest of you good folk I will show you my new pots in the next week.. I'm stoked with my purchase today and recieve them tommorow so I will take pics of these pots and document them to prove if they can combat gardening in OZ's extreme heat waves compared to normal pots which I used last year to sad effects of seeing my little plants all stressed :(

Thanks for the Replys Sky and Wine Hippy !

Soma :)
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: Growing Mint in a pot?   Growing Mint in a pot? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 11:06 am

sunny

Soma
you are more than welcome

the thing i have learnt about herbs is
they can growth almost anywhere and under almost any condition
don't fertilizer them..EVER
poor dirt is better than topsoil
and water only enough to keep them going

the essential oils in herbs are much stronger when they are stressed
that is why if you are using herbs you need to know about how much rain and stuff they have gotten
because it determines their strength and thusly the amount of the herb you need

in culunary herbs it is mostly taste but the strength of the essential oils in the plant
determine that too..

like garlic or onions that have been watered heavily or fertilized..they aren't as strong tasting

it is also the reason that if you are buying herbs you need to buy the ones that say standarized...
which means each tablet or capsule is the same from one to the next

most countries don't standarize so you get a large variation in quality and strength of the product

and there is a long road of trial and error for me - summed up for you - in a few words... grin

and don't your hands smell really great after working with those mint roots..

respect-069
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

PostSubject: Re: Growing Mint in a pot?   Growing Mint in a pot? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 6:11 pm

Thanks for that Sky sunny

I finally repotted the mint from one pot to two pots and already they look a little healthier. I was quite suprised at the lack of root depth after finding Mint roots seem to spread out more like carpet then find the bottom of the pot.

I've got my new pots up up and running and I'll share some pics soon once I find my pesky usb cable for my camera... I have boxes of cables and cant find the one I need lol!

Thanks for help and education ;)
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: Growing Mint in a pot?   Growing Mint in a pot? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 8:09 pm

sunny

hey soma
you are very welcome
i have been thankful for all the tips others have givin me over the years..
along with all the trial and error stuff too
so i am thrilled to share any of the growing info
enjoy your mint...

cheers

and maybe you need to just call for the cable to be visible... lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Growing Mint in a pot?   Growing Mint in a pot? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Growing Mint in a pot?
Page 1 of 1