the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ohhhhh I'm preparing now

Go down 
+4
Anchor
mntruthseeker
Biggles
Lightning222
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Lightning222

Number of posts : 2198
Humor : most definitely
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Ohhhhh I'm preparing now Empty
PostSubject: Ohhhhh I'm preparing now   Ohhhhh I'm preparing now Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 8:21 pm

Well I decided with all this news of food shortages due to high oil prices and other problems to start getting back to basics and to try and save some money.

Today I searched my memory banks and got out my recipies and started baking my own bread again and got the canning jars out to prepare to do some home canning. I'm compiling a file of flat bread recipies and foods that can be cooked without a stove. Campfire type cooking recipies.

BTW the oatmeal bread and rolls were delicious!
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

Number of posts : 5650
Humor : Some things just aren't funny.
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Ohhhhh I'm preparing now   Ohhhhh I'm preparing now Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 8:49 pm

That's cool, when I finally get into my own space I will be able to start growing my veges, herbs and fruit again. Good goin. xo
Back to top Go down
mntruthseeker
mntruthseeker

Number of posts : 698
Humor : I got some
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Ohhhhh I'm preparing now   Ohhhhh I'm preparing now Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 9:24 pm

I am really a rookie and I started canning for the first time...........now I'm in a pickle

I told my husband I wanted a pressure cooker and its sitting her collecting dust, because I had to put the do-hicky on top for the pressure and I dont know how to do it.
Hate to tell him cause he paid so much for it.

Can you give me any help with that anyone?

we used just the pan style for our jellies/jams and carrots. But we are doing tomatoes next weekend and I'm told I need to use the cooker
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

Number of posts : 5650
Humor : Some things just aren't funny.
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Ohhhhh I'm preparing now   Ohhhhh I'm preparing now Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 9:56 pm

I would love to be able to help you with this mts, but I have never owned a pressure cooker or canned or pickled anything, but not long down the road a bit I am hoping to be able to do all of this. Hopefully someone else can help us out. xo
Back to top Go down
mntruthseeker
mntruthseeker

Number of posts : 698
Humor : I got some
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Ohhhhh I'm preparing now   Ohhhhh I'm preparing now Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 10:19 pm

thanks................. my daughter is pretty smart and she will get it going for me.
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

PostSubject: Re: Ohhhhh I'm preparing now   Ohhhhh I'm preparing now Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 10:48 pm

I don't like pressure cookers mnt. Sorry I can't help you, I like the big pots with the racks in them to lift the jars out. My mother used to make me help her can every year since I was about 7 years old, when all the garden produce was picked and in the fall when we picked fruit.

You'll get the hang of it. sunny
Back to top Go down
Anchor
Anchor

Number of posts : 1441
Humor : Some
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Ohhhhh I'm preparing now   Ohhhhh I'm preparing now Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 3:40 am

This is REALLY encouraging to hear.

Even if the world doesn't end - canning and preserving what you grow is the way to go.

A..
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Ohhhhh I'm preparing now   Ohhhhh I'm preparing now Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 8:29 am

flower
mnt
did your pressure cooker come with instructions??..try a goggle search with the product name.......most places have on line instructions now
or maybe this one
http://www.fabulousfoods.com/index.php?option=com_resource&controller=article&category_id=222&article=19975

when i first started to can my best gift was from my mother and it was a blue ball canning book..recipes and times and instuctions for just about everything
for those who don't know..blue ball is a canning jar company that goes way back

this year the garden has been dismall..the rain and damp brought on late blight and the tomatoes and cucabits all went puff...
hubby got some crock pickles made but that was about it
the garlic, onions and potatoes did decent but not as good as normal,,right now the only things left are peppers, brussels and my experiment for this year. sweet potatoes...but as damp as it has continued ..i am not holding out much hope
sigh...

wishing for you a great gardening year and much canning joy

you can get the blue ball book here for 6.95..and maybe a search could find it cheaper...or the local place where you get your jars...
good luck
http://www.canningpantry.com/ball-blue-book-canning.html

mexican wave
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

PostSubject: Re: Ohhhhh I'm preparing now   Ohhhhh I'm preparing now Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 9:10 am

Gardens here have been very disappointing also with all the rain. I'm hoping the fall crops do better especially the apples and blueberries.
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Ohhhhh I'm preparing now   Ohhhhh I'm preparing now Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 12:20 pm

flower

L222
good luck and hoping they are good this year.

early spring we had a hard freeze followed by a heavy frost and the fruit trees took a beating...
the butternut trees have nothing and the black walnuts are falling already
the oaks are dropping the acorns green
the chestnuts look way smaller than normal
i thought for sure the grapes would never make it after the freeze but there are some out there
the damp hasn't help them not sure if there is enough for jelly this year..sigh
the elder,black and raspberries were just enough for the birds...
soooooooooooooo
affraid cry-blow

and my brain recalls the cayce stuff about not being able to grow food...sigh
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

Number of posts : 2954
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Ohhhhh I'm preparing now   Ohhhhh I'm preparing now Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 12:44 pm

Cool and it its a tell tale sign we need to get a heated greenhouse design thread :)

I was heavily into that area of research awhile back but had to womble :D
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

PostSubject: Re: Ohhhhh I'm preparing now   Ohhhhh I'm preparing now Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 1:12 pm

While reading the list of Scientists who have died under mysterious circumstances over the last six years one of them stuck out, all I remember is that he designed a biosphere to increase the heartiness of plants and increase their production by screening out the ultraviolet light, they were also protected from insect infestation. The plants grew to incredible heights and each plant produced a hefty amount of produce. I'll have to go dig and see if I can find his name and that information.
Back to top Go down
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

Number of posts : 4957
Humor : I hope so
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Ohhhhh I'm preparing now   Ohhhhh I'm preparing now Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 1:27 pm

Your thoughts are wonderful all around here about serving yourself. Please know that you may want to provide for yourself in a time when you have nothing to prepare from.

You may not get the opportunity to cook your own food when it comes to the "nut cutting" so please connect with source about contingency plans about when you have nothing to prepare with because of the oppression.

If you dedicate to your source your source will dedicate to you.
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

PostSubject: Re: Ohhhhh I'm preparing now   Ohhhhh I'm preparing now Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 1:33 pm

I have prepared for that scenario all my life, in the meantime I do what I can to insure I'm around long enough to do what I was meant to do in this lifetime.
Back to top Go down
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

Number of posts : 4957
Humor : I hope so
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Ohhhhh I'm preparing now   Ohhhhh I'm preparing now Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 1:37 pm

You are a great spirit lightening. Thank you
Back to top Go down
day
day

Number of posts : 1193
Humor : dry, witty
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Ohhhhh I'm preparing now   Ohhhhh I'm preparing now Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 pm

hey L222...how about a recipe section here on the forum? thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

PostSubject: Re: Ohhhhh I'm preparing now   Ohhhhh I'm preparing now Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 8:05 pm

We think alike! I was going to start one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ohhhhh I'm preparing now   Ohhhhh I'm preparing now Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ohhhhh I'm preparing now
Page 1 of 1