the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

christmas tomatoes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

christmas tomatoes Empty
PostSubject: christmas tomatoes   christmas tomatoes Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 6:59 pm

cheers sunny

well the task of getting a christmas tomato has been successful
there are only 5 left and they aren't big..but we will have homegrown tomatoes for christmas

hubby cut them in bunches right after the first frost..i wasn't smart enough to write down the date
but they were green
we put them on a table uncovered in a room where the temp was stable around 60..they have slowly
ripened and been eaten ..and some have rotted to be pitched into compost
but these 5 made it...

christmas tomatoes Hpim4430
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

Number of posts : 5650
Humor : Some things just aren't funny.
Registration date : 2009-03-12

christmas tomatoes Empty
PostSubject: Re: christmas tomatoes   christmas tomatoes Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 8:02 pm

Oooh, they look nice and juicy sky, well done as they were picked in your winter, extremely well done.

Have you got a sort of little hot house going on for down the line perhaps.

Those matoes look nice and yummy. cheers
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

Number of posts : 2954
Registration date : 2009-07-11

christmas tomatoes Empty
PostSubject: Re: christmas tomatoes   christmas tomatoes Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 8:42 am

Nice work on them 'red moes of tom' Sky lol!

In my couple of days back in the city last week I picked up a magazine which had a seed packet containing winter red moes of tom stuck to the front cover. I must say that I had a laugh when I read your thread tonight when i arrived back in the big smoke! Gardeners and the tomato addiction huh LOL ?

I'm pretty damn impressed you grew any given your winter conditions rainbow heart

I was reading somewhere in the last couple of weeks that putting Toms that are about to turn in a brown paper bag with a Banana will ripen the toms up nicely. Never tried it myself though.

-----

Biggzy if you want some I will have some seedlings soon as I;m sowing the seeds from the burkes backyard mag this weekend. If you keep the frost's off you should get toms in June so they say. ?

Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

christmas tomatoes Empty
PostSubject: Re: christmas tomatoes   christmas tomatoes Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 9:00 am

sunny

i wondered where you had gotten to, soma
the tomatoes were one i stated from seed and described here..way back when
they were on the non-weather side of the house and the first frost missed them
then hubby cut them with stem attached and we put them in a cool room and just let them ripen
he actually started with about 25/30 of them and they got eaten as they ripened
these 5 were the slowest and actually made it to christmas

i've never tried the b=paper bag thing ..toms aren't one of the things i have to have
one sandwchiches early on and i'm done..lol

but you are 100% correct in that the competition is strong..
how was the farm visit..any thing making it from all of your hard work up there?
wave
Back to top Go down
skywatcher
skywatcher

Number of posts : 1827
Humor : yes lots
Registration date : 2010-12-18

christmas tomatoes Empty
PostSubject: Re: christmas tomatoes   christmas tomatoes Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 12:05 pm

I planted some tomatoes for the first time last year (along with other fruits & veggies) and I can honestly say they taste so much nicer than anything you can buy in a shop. They taste even better than the store's organic ones too.

I don't know if it's because of the TLC they were given that they were tasty, or the hard work of rearing them or that I knew exactly what they had been given that made the difference. Whatever it was, it was worth it. This year, I'll remember to take some pics.

Well done Sky on your achievements, I bet those 5 went in no time.

Back to top Go down
http://chemtrailawareness.forumotion.co.uk
sky otter
sky otter

christmas tomatoes Empty
PostSubject: Re: christmas tomatoes   christmas tomatoes Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 8:48 am

sunny

sky watcher
anything you can grow..ALWAYS tastes better...
flower
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

Number of posts : 5650
Humor : Some things just aren't funny.
Registration date : 2009-03-12

christmas tomatoes Empty
PostSubject: Re: christmas tomatoes   christmas tomatoes Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 pm

When I get into my own place and start growing some tomatoes and other stuff again I want to try and do what you do sky and preserve some.

I will have to get some preserving glasses I think. All I can do is try. scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

christmas tomatoes Empty
PostSubject: Re: christmas tomatoes   christmas tomatoes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

christmas tomatoes
Page 1 of 1