the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf

Go down 
+3
stephen Podliska
Gabriel
sky otter
7 posters
AuthorMessage
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Empty
PostSubject: Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 8:53 am

affraid

One is about 10 miles long, 3 miles wide and 300 feet thick

By JUSTIN GILLIS

updated 9:04 p.m. ET, Sat., May 15, 2010
NEW YORK - Scientists are finding enormous oil plumes in the deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico, including one as large as 10 miles long, 3 miles wide and 300 feet thick. The discovery is fresh evidence that the leak from the broken undersea well could be substantially worse than estimates that the government and BP have given.

“There’s a shocking amount of oil in the deep water, relative to what you see in the surface water,” said Samantha Joye, a researcher at the University of Georgia who is involved in one of the first scientific missions to gather details about what is happening in the gulf. “There’s a tremendous amount of oil in multiple layers, three or four or five layers deep in the water column.”

The plumes are depleting the oxygen dissolved in the gulf, worrying scientists, who fear that the oxygen level could eventually fall so low as to kill off much of the sea life near the plumes.
Dr. Joye said the oxygen had already dropped 30 percent near some of the plumes in the month that the broken oil well had been flowing. “If you keep those kinds of rates up, you could draw the oxygen down to very low levels that are dangerous to animals in a couple of months,” she said Saturday. “That is alarming.”

The plumes were discovered by scientists from several universities working aboard the research vessel Pelican, which sailed from Cocodrie, La., on May 3 and appears to be the first scientific expedition to gather extensive samples and information about the disaster in the gulf.

Scientists studying video of the gushing oil well have tentatively calculated that it could be flowing at a rate of 25,000 to 80,000 barrels of oil a day. But the government, working from satellite images of the ocean surface, has calculated a flow rate of only 5,000 barrels a day.

The undersea plumes may go a long way toward explaining the discrepancy, suggesting that much of the oil emerging from the well could be lingering far below the sea surface.

The scientists involved in the Pelican mission, which is backed by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the federal agency that monitors the health of the oceans, are not certain why that would be. They say they suspect the heavy use of chemical dispersants, which BP has injected directly into the stream of oil emerging from the well, may have broken the oil up into droplets too small to rise rapidly.

Video

White House plays hardball over spill cost
May 15: Administration officials demanded that the oil company commit to paying all costs. NBC’s Mike Viqueira reports.
Nightly News

BP said on Saturday at a briefing in Robert, La., that it had resumed undersea application of dispersants, after winning approval to do so the day before from the Environmental Protection Agency

“It appears that the application of the subsea dispersant is actually working,” Doug Suttles, BP’s chief operating officer for exploration and production, said Saturday after flying over the area above the oil well. “The oil in the immediate vicinity of the well and the ships and rigs working in the area is diminished from previous observations.”

Many scientists had hoped the dispersants would cause oil droplets to spread so widely that they would be less of a problem in any one place. If it turns out that is not happening, the strategy of using the chemicals could come under greater scrutiny. Dispersants have never been used in an oil leak of this magnitude a mile under the ocean, and their effects at such depth are largely unknown.

story continues here:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37171468/ns/us_news-the_new_york_times/page/2/
Back to top Go down
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

Number of posts : 4957
Humor : I hope so
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 12:21 pm

What an amazing story. This may actually be the part where the book of Revelation predicts that 1 third of the life in the sea will perish.

Mic came up with this thought the other day and I agree with him. I will have a post up on my personal page about this today.
Back to top Go down
stephen Podliska
stephen Podliska

Number of posts : 596
Humor : YES and then some!
Registration date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 11:08 pm

... WELL I happen to LOVE the INFORMATION SIMULTANEOUS SELVES.......

...... yet here is what very very very very little I know about OIL .........

.... CRUDE OIL has various "densities" that depending on the OIL LOCATION and "unique mix that is very very specific" to the EXACT location of each and every SINGLE location where OIL is so EXTRACTED out of this WONDERFUL PLANET .............. SOME CRUDE may "be heavier" that "the average density of the sea water in the GULF of MEXICO so long as the "OIL REMAINS on the BOTTOM of the OCEAN or in any "OCEAN VALLEYS" where the OIL may be ACTUALLY RECAPTURED EASILY and EFFORTLESSLY at any FUTURE POINT in our COLLECTIVE FUTURE where SUCH might be TECHNICALLY and PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE PERHAPS?????

.... anywho.... I Stephen Craig Podliska could so EASILY design at least a few "realistic" ways to so RECAPTURE "a very very very large MAJORITY of "this oil spill" so LONG as it ACCUMULATES in "enough" of ONE SINGLE LOCATION close to where ever the OIL SPILL may or may not be ACTIVELY DOING SUCH!!! ?????

... anywho ... what I DO NOT KNOW OF AS OF YET is WHERE is THIS "SPILLED" or ONGOING OIL SPILL GOING TO ON THE FLOOR OF THE GULF COAST ?????

.... I heard of "some" damage to SEA life yet ... not really SEEN all that much REAL LIFE VIDEO of this event as of yet ... to so KNOW how REALLY bad or NOT this OIL SPILL MAY OR MAY NOT BE "at this time" perhaps ??????
Back to top Go down
Anchor
Anchor

Number of posts : 1441
Humor : Some
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 11:56 pm

My belief is that the situation, as many others, is being exploited for maximum fear and chaos generation by the dark forces. Exaggeration appears very likely to me.

Quality trustworthy news has been very thin on the ground and stories appear to rely mostly on "informed" opinion.

We can (and I recommend we still do) (daily) request/manifest:

a) the leaks to be sealed (manifest sealing)

b) that the associated pollution is removed (or manifest the pure state of crytaline purity alive with the pure natural forces within which all man made impurity is eliminated)

I think many people are doing this in thier own way and the outcome is going to be amazing.

John..
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

Number of posts : 5650
Humor : Some things just aren't funny.
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 12:08 am

AJ YOU ARE NOT supposed to be typing. naughty boy.
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

PostSubject: Do you get why I am postin this AJ   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 12:15 am

Back to top Go down
Anchor
Anchor

Number of posts : 1441
Humor : Some
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 6:38 pm

Biggles wrote:
AJ YOU ARE NOT supposed to be typing. naughty boy.

Uh oh....

<runs away />
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

PostSubject: Re: Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 7:02 pm

Just worried about ya, that's all.
Back to top Go down
Louise

Number of posts : 606
Humor : Yes!
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 5:03 pm

Costner's Cleanup Machines to Be Tested in Gulf

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/bp-to-test-kevin-costners-oil-separation-technology-on-gulf-of-mexico-spill/19484937

BP OK's test of Costner's oil-cleaning device

http://www.wwltv.com/news/BP-OKs-Costners-oil-cleaning-device-94189959.html

Interesting... what do you think of this?

Last edited by Louise on Thu May 20, 2010 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

PostSubject: Re: Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 5:16 pm

Have to go out soon for a friend's birthday Louise but when I get back I am on to it my love. xxoo

I just really hope they can get it done. I don't care if they throw thousands of hay or whatever in there, have to do something when I think of those precious wetlands etc being destroyed. Catch ya after hon. xo
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

Number of posts : 5325
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 7:59 am

Gulf Oil Spill May Be 19 Times Bigger Than Originally Thought

leak now pegged at 95,000 barrels a day

http://standeyo.com/NEWS/10_Earth_Changes/100520.oil.spill.19x.bigger.html

Quote :
May 20, 2010
By Renee Schoof and Lauren French
McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — The latest glimpse of video footage of the oil spill deep under the Gulf of Mexico indicates that around 95,000 barrels, or 4 million gallons, a day of crude oil may be spewing from the leaking wellhead, 19 times the previous estimate, an engineering professor told Congress Wednesday

Many people have no idea the scope of this. I mentioned it was of biblical proportions on another forum and was scoffed at. Well if it gets into the Atlantic current , which it will, this thing could go around the world.

http://gazbom.blogspot.com/

Benzene, incredible amounts of Benzene are being released into the atmosphere and is a clear and present danger not only for the old and people with respiratory problems but the general Gulf population as a whole.
The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has determined that benzene is a human carcinogen, and can cause various forms of cancer from prolonged exposure.Exposed to high levels of benzene show association with leukemia cancer; including acute myelogenous leukemia, acute lymphocytic leukemia, and chronic myelogenous leukemia. Benzene-related leukemias have been reported to develop in as short as nine months,(read more below)
This is much more serious than they are letting on, especially as one of the options here is to burn the escaping oil!

Read more: http://gazbom.blogspot.com/#ixzz0ofOmngcI
Back to top Go down
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

Number of posts : 4957
Humor : I hope so
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 8:26 am

No doubt mic it is of Bliblical proportions. The fist time I heard you say this, I knew you were right.

Good call, and let em scoff. They scoffed at a few others at times as well. The ignorant are always the first to deny.
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 9:54 am

affraid

Striking New NASA Image of Gulf Spill Moving Towards Atlantic Ocean

Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Untitl10

A striking new image released by NASA today shows a massive column of oil extending out Southeast towards the open ocean. This column has not been visible in any satellite photos taken so far and will change the estimated extent of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill disaster.

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2010/05/striking-new-nasa-image-of-gulf-spill-moving-towards-open-ocean.html

i saw part of a program on tv about how deep they were and what was going on..it was an expo of how the company was pushing the team to go faster with broken equipment
i was totally amazed at how deep they were....i have to wonder if goinh that deep was one of the reasons it failed horribly
and i found this liltte blip about it

Sunday, May 2, 2010
BP Horizon was Operating at the Outer Limits of Today's Technology

When the accident occurred BP was operating the Horizon rig at the outer limits of the industry’s technology. The wellhead was in water with a depth of 5,000 feet and the well extended another 13,000 feet beneath the ocean floor. At this depth, only remotely controlled robotic arms can be used to make repairs to damaged equipment since the deepest scuba dive ever recorded was only 1,044 feet deep (which greatly exceeds the the normal working depth for any commercial diver). In fact, more people have been on the surface of the moon than have scuba dived below 800 feet.

In their exploration plan and environmental impact analysis filed with the federal government in February 2009, BP said it had the capability to handle a "worst-case scenario" at the site, which the document described as a leak of 162,000 barrels (8.8 million gallons) per day from an uncontrolled blowout. At the current estimate of 5,000 barrels per day one has to wonder, given BP's ineffective handling of the situation, were they lying or just stupid when they made the statement that a spill 32 times larger than the current one would be "no problem".
http://www.bphorizon.com/
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

PostSubject: Re: Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 10:28 am

This whole thing could be part of the growing pains to get to the new paradigm.

To me the new paradigm involves new technologies for energy which does not involve fossil fuels. Will this be the catylist for people to search for these alternative energy sources and do away with the need for these offshore environmental disasters?

This whole story of greed reminds me of the story of the man that was told he could have as much land as he wanted. The only stipulation was that he had to walk around the perimeter of the area in which he wanted to lay claim to.

As he walked around he kept setting his goals a little more and more. He kept walking and thinking well I might as well go a little further. He kept going and going . He was getting tired , yet thought he might as well stretch it as far as he could.

As he kept going he was getting weaker but kept stretching himself to the limit. He finally was getting so tired he thought he had better go back.

He never made it.... he died of a heart attack within a few yards of the starting point.

These oilmen are no different. Keep stretching to the point where they have overdone it.
Back to top Go down
Louise

PostSubject: Re: Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 5:09 pm

Louise wrote:
Costner's Cleanup Machines to Be Tested in Gulf

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/bp-to-test-kevin-costners-oil-separation-technology-on-gulf-of-mexico-spill/19484937

BP OK's test of Costner's oil-cleaning device

http://www.wwltv.com/news/BP-OKs-Costners-oil-cleaning-device-94189959.html

Interesting... what do you think of this?

BUMP love
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

PostSubject: Re: Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 7:43 am

It looks like it's better than some of their other ideas. More power to them .
Back to top Go down
Louise

PostSubject: Re: Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 10:54 am

BP calls in Costner's $26m vacuum cleaners to mop up huge oil spill
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/bp-calls-in-costners-26m-vacuum-cleaners-to-mop-up-huge-oil-spill-1979976.html

I think it's commendable that he has spent so much time and money to develop this. Let's hope it works, that would be great. Imagine something like this developed by a celebrity with an environmental conscience creating a solution that the corporate scientists etc cannot resolve with all their research and big $$$. Kudos Kevin, I applaud your effort. clap clapping bravo-009
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

PostSubject: Re: Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 7:52 pm

Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

PostSubject: Re: Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 6:41 am

Back to top Go down
Louise

PostSubject: Raining oil in Florida?   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 6:58 am

I just read this--is it now raining oil in Florida? YUCK!
http://www.fourwinds10.com/siterun_data/environment/pollution/news.php?q=1274767889
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

PostSubject: Re: Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 9:21 am

That can't be good for you.

shocked
Back to top Go down
Louise

PostSubject: Re: Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 11:31 am

micjer wrote:
That can't be good for you.

shocked
Can't be good for anything (except BP) peek crying beingsick italianflick watchingb mooning
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf   Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1