the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

organic foods... not all what it seems to be

Go down 
+2
Reunite
bilderburger w/cheese
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bilderburger w/cheese
bilderburger w/cheese

Number of posts : 94
Humor : available upon request
Registration date : 2009-01-25

organic foods... not all what it seems to be Empty
PostSubject: organic foods... not all what it seems to be   organic foods... not all what it seems to be Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 12:42 pm

i have 2 links regarding organic food in which to share:

http://www.alternet.org/story/131910/

headline: Burt's Bees, Tom's of Maine, Naked Juice: Your Favorite Brands? Take Another Look -- They May Not Be What They Seem

summary: burts bees, toms of maine, naked juice all are owned by Big Biz now. fuck 'em; dont buy those brands if you dont have to.

i pulled this one from OCA (organic consumers union):

http://www.cornucopia.org/who-owns-organic/

summary: this is an awesome venn diagram constructed by an MSU professor. some disappointing revelations for me.

combine this with the proposed HR 875 and in a few years, Big Food will completely control the market on organic food (that is, if the whole 2012 or the economic collapse doesnt go down and make this a moot issue). all that needs to be done for them is to lessen/twist the organic standards with another bill and we are screwed. the future looks bleak for organic shelved and frozen supermarket products.
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

Number of posts : 4993
Humor : Dry and Wet
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: organic foods... not all what it seems to be   organic foods... not all what it seems to be Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 2:42 pm

It's happening down here too. Our local organic supermarket Macro has now been bought out by one the biggest supermarket chains and will cease to exist by a years time.

However it is a sign to stop eating any packaged food and start eating more fresh organic fruit and vegetables. Around my area I have noticed a couple of stalls set-up infront of health food shops on the weekends selling fresh organic fruit and veges. If you like meat find a local organic butcher you can support instead of the huge supermarket chains.

If you are lucky enough to have a garden start growing your own food.
Back to top Go down
Anchor
Anchor

Number of posts : 1441
Humor : Some

PostSubject: Re: organic foods... not all what it seems to be   organic foods... not all what it seems to be Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 3:02 pm

Reunite - do you have a reference for the Macro take over? That is shocking news to me and has pissed me off today. We rely on Macros in Hornsby for pretty much all our fruit.

The only way to be sure is to grow your own.

Community farming and barter - bring it on.

A..
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

PostSubject: Re: organic foods... not all what it seems to be   organic foods... not all what it seems to be Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 3:13 pm

The naturopath at our local health food shop said Woolworths is buying them out.

Just did a search and found this:
http://mcsixtyfive.blogspot.com/2009/02/040209-by-marcus-dangerfield-earlier.html?showComment=1233782940000
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

PostSubject: Re: organic foods... not all what it seems to be   organic foods... not all what it seems to be Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 3:28 pm

Forgot to mention the Macro stores will be turned into Woolworth's upmarket Thomas Dux stores..you know the one with the nice ambient music and high prices. They do sell some organic foods.

http://www.thomasdux.com.au/content.php/348.html
Back to top Go down
Anchor
Anchor

Number of posts : 1441
Humor : Some

PostSubject: Re: organic foods... not all what it seems to be   organic foods... not all what it seems to be Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 4:31 pm

Thanks

I guess I will have to wait and see.
Back to top Go down
bilderburger w/cheese
bilderburger w/cheese

PostSubject: Re: organic foods... not all what it seems to be   organic foods... not all what it seems to be Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:38 pm

reunite: its not just the packaged food (in the US, at least)... even the frozen organic fruit and vegetables are being taken over by Big Food. already cascadian farms organic grows their food in mexico under less stringent food regulations and sanitation. once Big Food controls fresh vegetables and fruit, theyll find a way to do it cheaper and cut corners... at our expense.

i am all for farming myself-- ive got plenty of seeds and materiel ready to go. however, winter can be a real obstacle here in the north. i suppose learning the techniques of home food storage/cannery is the next step for me.

bottom line: enjoy your sweet or exotic treats from other countries now while you have time.
Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...

PostSubject: Re: organic foods... not all what it seems to be   organic foods... not all what it seems to be Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 11:17 pm

bilderburger w/cheese wrote:
reunite: its not just the packaged food (in the US, at least)... even the frozen organic fruit and vegetables are being taken over by Big Food. already cascadian farms organic grows their food in mexico under less stringent food regulations and sanitation. once Big Food controls fresh vegetables and fruit, theyll find a way to do it cheaper and cut corners... at our expense.

i am all for farming myself-- ive got plenty of seeds and materiel ready to go. however, winter can be a real obstacle here in the north. i suppose learning the techniques of home food storage/cannery is the next step for me.

bottom line: enjoy your sweet or exotic treats from other countries now while you have time.

ah, sir cheese
greenhouse
tasha tudor lives in CT
(or lived, not sure if she still alive)
and her garden is a paradise
even in winter.....
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...

PostSubject: Re: organic foods... not all what it seems to be   organic foods... not all what it seems to be Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 11:19 pm

Anchor wrote:
Reunite - do you have a reference for the Macro take over? That is shocking news to me and has pissed me off today. We rely on Macros in Hornsby for pretty much all our fruit.

The only way to be sure is to grow your own.

Community farming and barter - bring it on.

A..

yes, yes
a thousand times, YES
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
bilderburger w/cheese
bilderburger w/cheese

PostSubject: Re: organic foods... not all what it seems to be   organic foods... not all what it seems to be Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 11:21 pm

yesss.... good idea.

thank you once again. :)
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

PostSubject: Re: organic foods... not all what it seems to be   organic foods... not all what it seems to be Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 2:21 pm

bilderburger w/cheese wrote:

Sad state of affairs...fingers crossed Codex Alexandrinus isn't enforced by the end of the year. Then we are all screwed.
Back to top Go down
zuni
zuni

Number of posts : 1319
Humor : does a fat kid miss cake ???

PostSubject: Re: organic foods... not all what it seems to be   organic foods... not all what it seems to be Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 11:05 am

this is why the only safe bet is to grow it yourself........even if you have a small space....you can grow most things in pots.............

but for your greens and herbs it´s best to forage for them in the wild......... wild harvest food is the most nutritous........and it´s free.........

the forest will feed you without you feeding the system...........

besides you will need to know how to forage for food when the shit hits the fan........so it´s best to start learning what you can eat in your area.........
Back to top Go down
bilderburger w/cheese
bilderburger w/cheese

PostSubject: Re: organic foods... not all what it seems to be   organic foods... not all what it seems to be Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 10:10 pm

what about carrot cake and pound cake!? :)
waaaaaaaah!!!
Back to top Go down
nogroz
nogroz

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: organic foods... not all what it seems to be   organic foods... not all what it seems to be Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 11:36 pm

So...

How do you guys and gals define 'organically grown' anyway?

poke
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

PostSubject: Re: organic foods... not all what it seems to be   organic foods... not all what it seems to be Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 10:51 pm

nogroz wrote:
So...

How do you guys and gals define 'organically grown' anyway?

poke

The soil has to have a 2 year soil conversion process that's devoted to increasing the fertility of the land. Organic food isn't sprayed with herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, no growth hormones, it's not Genetically Modified what so ever, no veterinarian drugs etc etc.
Back to top Go down
bilderburger w/cheese
bilderburger w/cheese

PostSubject: Re: organic foods... not all what it seems to be   organic foods... not all what it seems to be Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 11:33 am

nogroz, thats a good question to consider.

for me, eating organically is the best that i can do at the moment. its true that most of Big Food (as depicted in the venn diagram) controls the organic industry and that QAI, which does the facility inspections, probably does a poor job of inspecting everything properly, im sure not all of it is really organic. buying organic does do two things:

1. its got to be at the very least a little bit better than eating conventional provided that QAI does part of their job, and there are still some honest people out there.
2. it raises awareness in others. raising awareness of the food situation and sparking up conversation with others about it in the supermarkets trumps everything. getting the word out to those who are uneducated about this stuff is the most important thing because the organic movement is just one tiny pixel in the mass consciousness awakening photo.

its possible that the organically grown food could be contaminated even more than conventional food by Big Food [e.g. jason products 1,4 dioxane headline] in an effort to weaken/slowly sicken people like us, but we have no proof of that.
organic food is being watered from unknown sources which probably go unchecked. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23503485/ a good rinsing with distilled water or vegetable wash or peeling the produce will help remove those traces.

when the time arises when we must grow our own food, we will then be 100% assured that our own food is safe. at least we will have control over every aspect of the growing process.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: organic foods... not all what it seems to be   organic foods... not all what it seems to be Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

organic foods... not all what it seems to be
Page 1 of 1