the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

big deal for me - meteor showers

Go down 
+2
stal
sky otter
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

big deal for me - meteor showers Empty
PostSubject: big deal for me - meteor showers   big deal for me - meteor showers Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 12:10 pm

bigw

well..i am looking forward to aug 12 and 13..for the persied meteor showers...
we used to pull the pick up out into the field with cots and critters and enjoy the whole night of shooting stars
very sadly the last couple of years it has been clouded over and no viewing possible
this year there are different canines and a fence so the bed of the pickup to save my toes from raccoon nibbles
won't be necessary... lol!
if you guys can stand to be out all night just watching the sky..do it..it is a treat
maybe a little fire, a beverage, a snack, comfy sleeping bag, binoculars. critters ..you know..star gazing at it's best

here is an article about it and a little reseach will get you more info...

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/home/99304684.html

HOMEPAGE OBSERVING by Alan MacRobert
Dark Nights for the Perseids

big deal for me - meteor showers Persei10
Gain Lee recorded this montage of bright Perseids over a two-hour period in August 2007 from his heavily light-polluted backyard in Huddersfield, England. He took many short exposures with a 15-mm f/2.8 fisheye lens, then combined the lucky few frames that captured a meteor with one that included the foreground. Click here for a wider view, which shows Cassiopeia near center and the shower's radiant point below it in northern Perseus. The nonconformist meteor off by the Big Dipper at far left is a Kappa Cygnid.
Gain LeeThe last time the annual Perseid meteor shower happened during a run of good moonless nights was in 2007. It turns out that every three years, the same phase of the Moon returns to roughly the same date each month (2.2 days earlier, on average). So in 2010 we're on for moonless Perseids again!

The shower lasts for many days, but according to the International Meteor Organization this year's peak should occur during a half-day-long window centered on 1:00 Universal Time on August 13th, which is ideal timing for skywatchers in Eurasia. For North Americans, the best viewing will probably be late Thursday night and early Friday morning, August 12-13, or possibly the night before.

In any case, prime viewing for the Perseids is from about 11 p.m. or midnight (local time) until the first light of dawn. This is when the shower's radiant (its perspective point of origin) is well up in your sky. The higher the radiant, the more meteors you'll see.

big deal for me - meteor showers Persei11
The Perseid meteors appear to stream away from their radiant near the border of Perseus and Cassiopeia. And while you're outside on a dark night, don't forget to look for the Double Cluster and the Andromeda Galaxy, two of the easiest "faint fuzzies" to spot with your unaided eyes.
S&T Illustration

Many longtime skywatchers remember the fine displays the Perseids put on in the early 1990s, around when the shower's parent comet, 109P/Swift-Tuttle, last passed through the inner solar system. Those days are gone; the comet won't be back until 2126. But even now some, thin, dense filaments of meteoroids that the comet shed in recent centuries continue to liven up the shower's behavior. Strands left behind by the comet in 441 and 1479 might be in play this year, though only a little enhancement is expected from them.

At a very dark, rural site, you can probably expect to see 100 or more meteors per hour when the radiant (in northern Perseus) is highest in your sky before the first light of dawn. Any light pollution will cut down on the numbers, as will the radiant's lower altitude earlier in the night. But the brightest few meteors shine right through light pollution, and the few that happen when the radiant is low are especially long, skimming the upper atmosphere and flying far across the sky.

To get the most enjoyment while watching for Perseids, find a dark spot with an open sky view, bundle up thoroughly in blankets or a sleeping bag (for mosquito shielding as well as warmth, and don't forget the repellent), and lie back in a reclining chair. Gaze into the stars, and be patient. The best direction to watch is wherever your sky is darkest, usually straight up, perhaps with a little inclination toward the radiant. That's all there is to it!

big deal for me - meteor showers 2009_p10
In 2009 the Perseid shower displayed three separate, strong peaks during its most active 36 hours (shown in Universal Time), as revealed in this plot based on 8,158 Perseid sightings reported by 144 observers worldwide.
Geert Barentsen / IMOIf you're a little more ambitious, you can make a careful meteor count and report it to the International Meteor Organization. Such counts are analyzed to yield the shower's zenithal hourly rate, which is the number of meteors that a single observer would see per hour under ideal conditions: with the radiant directly overhead (at the zenith) and the sky dark enough to reveal 6.5-magnitude stars.

Not all the meteors you'll see are Perseids. In addition to occasional random, sporadic meteors, the weaker Delta Aquarid shower is also active during Perseid season. The Delta Aquarids are slower, often yellower, and track away from a radiant point in eastern Aquarius. Weaker still are the Kappa Cygnids, identifiable by their flight direction away from Cygnus in an altogether different part of the sky.

Don't forget that the Perseid shower lasts for more than one night! Rates are about a quarter to half the peak for one or two nights before and after. A few forerunners of the shower may show up as early as July 20th, and stragglers have been recorded as late as August 24th.

Posted by Alan MacRobert, July 27, 2010
related content: Celestial events
links: + digg | + del.icio.us | + reddit | + permalink | + rss

comments (2)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perseids

http://www.space.com/

http://www.spaceweather.com/

bigw
Back to top Go down
stal
stal

Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: big deal for me - meteor showers   big deal for me - meteor showers Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 12:53 pm

cool.
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

Number of posts : 4993
Humor : Dry and Wet
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: big deal for me - meteor showers   big deal for me - meteor showers Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 3:27 pm

Sounds awesome sky, I hear if you're in the southern hemisphere you'll miss out on most of the activity :( So get the camcorder out.
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

Number of posts : 2198
Humor : most definitely
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: big deal for me - meteor showers   big deal for me - meteor showers Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 10:55 pm

Okay, road trip to Sky's house...bring your own sleeping bags! We can raid the garden for food. angelic
Back to top Go down
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

Number of posts : 4957
Humor : I hope so
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: big deal for me - meteor showers   big deal for me - meteor showers Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 6:07 am

The first one of these I saw was in the 1950's and it was the greatest one I've ever seen. I was just a child of about 10 years old, but the meteors were coming from straight up overhead and it looked like hundreds of them per minute.

The shower that year was heavier than usual. The fascinating part was as we watched, the meteors seemed to be coming right directly at us from directly overhead.

It looked like we were looking into a cone effect where the meteors were coming from a center position and spreading out as the closed in on us.

The most awesome thing I've ever seen yet in the sky.

Happy watching to all.
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

Number of posts : 2954
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: big deal for me - meteor showers   big deal for me - meteor showers Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 9:19 am

Wish I could see it!

No idea what cam you got Sky, but maybe you could set it up on tripod and take some long exposure shots? scratch
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: big deal for me - meteor showers   big deal for me - meteor showers Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 12:24 pm

lol!

hey
any and all of you would be very welcome....just dug the potatoes and going to wrap them in alum foil and toss them into the fire... 🔥
just like when you were a kid....they are soooo good..burnt fingers and all

soma..i just have a small hp digital..no cam corder...sigh..and i looked up oz and it says the they are mostly either below or right on the horizon so you guys won't see very many...ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh raincloud sorrysmil cry-blow

i don't try to take pics.. i just enjoy the show and lay out there looking up and marveling at it all...and of course wondering all kinds of things about us and space and and and...

maybe you can check which one you would see..there is another big one the weekend before thanksgiving...(bear season, here lol)
it is soooooooooooooo great to just watch the sky all night...
found this and still looking
http://uberdownloads.net/apps/Stellarium/index.php

this looks like a good one
http://www.seasky.org/astronomy/astronomy_calendar_2010.html

another one and still looking
http://www.meteorites.com.au/films/

ah ha..finally..here's your list for oz

http://www.bluemountainscabins.com.au/docs/bluemountainscabins.com.au/Key%20Meteor%20Showers%20for%20Australian%20sky.doc

Key Meteor Showers for Australian sky-watchers.
A meteor shower may occur when the Earth passes near the orbital path of a comet or an asteroid cluster. When the Earth intercepts a debris stream, individual particles may travel through the earth’s atmosphere. Large ram pressure forces heat particles and the surrounding atmosphere and a visible meteor is seen. Meteors are typically seen around 100 km altitude with few particles/meteoroids surviving below 80 km. Below some of the better annual meteor showers.

Month, Radiant, Duration & Maximum (peak).

Lyrids – April 16 – 25, peaks around April 22nd, 23rd. The Lyrids radiant is close to the Lyra constellation, and rises just after midnight in the southern hemisphere and moves across the northern sky. The Lyrids meteor shower is best viewed after midnight on 22 April or well before sunrise on 23 April. Point your feet towards the northern sky and look about 45 degrees above the horizon. This shower is caused by debris from Comet Thatcher. This shower can produce spectacular meteors.

η - Aquarids – 21 Apr – 12 May: Maximum peak of meteors at around midnight, 5/6 May. Can produce some very bright meteors and occasional bolides. This is the 1st annual meteor shower caused by debris from Halley’s Comet.

Orionids – 2 Oct – 7 Nov 21 Although the traditional Orionids maximum occurs on 21 October, an earlier sub-maximum is possible around 17-18 October, when observing conditions are particularly favourable. The radiant rises around midnight in Australia in the east-north-eastern skies between 17 and 21 October. Well worth staying up late on 17, 18 and 21 October. Can produce some very bright meteors. Best to lie with feet to the north and look well above the horizon. This is the 2nd annual meteor shower caused by Halley’s Comet.

Southern Taurids: October 1- November 25, with extended peak 4-9th Nov and main peak ~Nov.5th. Slow meteors with up to 6-7 per hr Zenith Hourly Rate around maximum, often with bright meteors with very bright heads and long glowing trains. The Radiant is near the Pleiades asterism in Taurus, which rises in the NE after 9PM in Eastern Australia. Point your feet towards the NE sky and look above the horizon. This shower is caused by debris from Comet Encke.

Leonids: Nov10 – 23. In Australia the radiant rises soon after midnight in the north-eastern night sky. Peak occurs around 17/18th . This historic meteor shower is responsible for several meteor storms with hundreds of meteors, and has the fastest meteors at 71 km/s. This shower is caused by debris from Comet Temple–Tuttle.

Geminids: Dec 7– 17. The radiant appears around local midnight in the southern-hemisphere with a waxing crescent moon setting just before midnight in the east and well before midnight in the west. The best time for viewing in Australia is from 11pm - 1am, 14/15 December. Lie with your feet to the north-east and centre your gaze between 45 degrees above the horizon and straight up. Look for the twin stars of Gemini –Castor and Pollux, which is where the radiant of this meteor shower lies. Up to 150 meteors can be seen over ~3 hrs in good years, and this is one of the most consistent annual meteor showers for southern viewers. Debris from asteroid 3200 Phaethon causes this shower, a possible extinct comet.

Viewing Tip: Look around the region of radiant widely in all directions.. Look for Earth-grazers, when the Radiant is just on the horizon, with meteors wizzing from one end of the sky to the other from horizon to horizon. NB: Clouds, city lights, and bright moon-light all effect the visibility of meteor showers. Dark moon-less, clear country skies away from city lights affords the best viewing opportunities. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_meteor_showers
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

Number of posts : 4993
Humor : Dry and Wet
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: big deal for me - meteor showers   big deal for me - meteor showers Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Thanks sky for posting the Meteor Showers for us Australian sky-watchers, only last week whilst looking at google maps in my local area I stumbled upon an observatory just down the road from my new house. I looked at their website and they have public open nights!
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: big deal for me - meteor showers   big deal for me - meteor showers Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 7:16 pm

toast

you are so welcome kermie...and wow to a real observatory near by... thumbsupb wowb cool
personally i don't think any one should past up a chance to just watch to night sky..at least once in a while bee-uitful
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

BigSmile2 bigw

joy

this morning i remembered saving an oz astronmy site that soma posted

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/home.html

so in the search box i typed in meteor showers and hey..some info for you guys..obviously the northeners will be able to watch
however the posters name (perseid meteor shower) will kinda throw ya..lol

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.php?q=meteor+showers&ss=www.iceinspace.com.au&sitesearch=www.iceinspace.com.au&as_eq=%2Fforum%2Farchive%2F&cx=partner-pub-2899456904733704%3A4arjfbg4nhu&cof=FORID%3A9&newwindow=1&id=67%2C0%2C0%2C1%2C0%2C0#863

wave
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

Number of posts : 2954
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: big deal for me - meteor showers   big deal for me - meteor showers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 9:55 am

Sweet Sky!

I love how you showed me a link that I showed you, and ya taught me something! sharing is caring toast

I looked at the link that you mentioned and went wowsers, 200 per hour, still waiting on the delivery of thee starship (damn slacker ET's for ya), otherwise I would knawing spuds with you.

Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: big deal for me - meteor showers   big deal for me - meteor showers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 8:43 pm

lol!

hey..i know you will be here in spirit..how's that...
so if you hear me talking..
.well if you here a female talking to you..
going..oh wow..look at that one....
then you'll know it's me..

really i can get loud.. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: big deal for me - meteor showers   big deal for me - meteor showers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

big deal for me - meteor showers
Page 1 of 1