the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

BP hiring/gagging scientists

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...
Registration date : 2009-01-23

BP hiring/gagging scientists Empty
PostSubject: BP hiring/gagging scientists   BP hiring/gagging scientists Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 4:12 pm

BP Legal Strategy: Hire and Gag Scientists

Ben Raines of the Alabama Press Register is reporting that BP is trying to hire scientists who are doing research in the oil-damaged Gulf of Mexico and then binding those scientists with legal agreements that will enable BP to bury their work and prevent them from testifying against the company.

Cary Nelson, national president of the American Association of University Professors, has a good commentary about the matter here, condemning BP's effort at censorship and calling for universities to work with their faculties to establish ethical standards for industry collaboration that champion the public interest and discourage faculty members from selling their freedom of speech and research to the highest bidder.

source: http://www.desmogblog.com/
thanks to sky for posting elsewhere, found deSmogBlog, great info!

followed link for depth:

On Friday, July 16, Ben Raines, a reporter for Mobile, Alabama’s Press-Register, published a story detailing extensive efforts by BP to employ scientists engaged in (or likely to engage in) research about the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Inside Higher Ed has since conducted independent interviews for its own coverage. The contracts offered by the giant company, according to both sources, restrict the scientists from publishing research results, sharing them with other scientists, or even talking about them for as long as three years, a serious restraint in the midst of an ongoing crisis.

source: http://www.insidehighered.com/views/2010/07/22/nelson
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
Biggles
Biggles

Number of posts : 5650
Humor : Some things just aren't funny.
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: BP hiring/gagging scientists   BP hiring/gagging scientists Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 8:12 pm

Where in the hell are those supposed ninjas Ben. Are you waiting till there is no fresh air, water and food left, I think it is now the time to be harsh and send in those running little black clad men.

Not that I want to focus on negative stuff, but I wouldn't mind have the ninjas start putting their skills to the test, just as a bit of good practice so they don't stiffen up their joints and all. flower
Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: BP hiring/gagging scientists   BP hiring/gagging scientists Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 9:15 pm

don't lettem getya all riled up mz biggz
i do enjoy the gusto with which you send the warriors
out after the bad guys

poke
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BP hiring/gagging scientists   BP hiring/gagging scientists Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BP hiring/gagging scientists
Page 1 of 1