the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn.

Go down 
+4
Biggles
Somamech
Lightning222
WineHippie
8 posters
AuthorMessage
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn. Empty
PostSubject: Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn.   Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn. Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 7:57 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37320676/ns/us_news/?Gt1=43001
maybe somea these guys will make to a garden near you ....
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
Lightning222

Number of posts : 2198
Humor : most definitely
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn.   Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn. Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 8:01 am

Sky get your net out and hop on a plane.... lol!
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

Number of posts : 2954
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn.   Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn. Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 12:36 pm

Like seedlings through the asphalt, these Bee's will pollinate lol!
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

Number of posts : 5650
Humor : Some things just aren't funny.
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn.   Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn. Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 12:40 pm

And hopefully also do what the birds and bees do Soma, mate to make more of them magical bees. cheers
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn.   Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn. Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 1:09 pm

lol!

welllllllll i saw the headline and just couldn't bring myself to read it but dang soma you have a great take on it

and L..i ain't the bee wrangler..it's hubby....as much as i like those little critters...i scream like a girl and run real fast when they sit on me...hubby stands there with his hands out and they gather and walk all over him..he never gets stung....
i know it's cause i panic and scare em..but darn ..it's a reflex i haven' been able to change...
ah where the red face icon..hahahahahaha
Back to top Go down
Louise

Number of posts : 606
Humor : Yes!
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn.   Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn. Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 6:59 pm

I hope they make their way east flower
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

PostSubject: Re: Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn.   Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn. Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 7:33 pm

Yup we need to look for the positives in every situation!
Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

PostSubject: Re: Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn.   Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn. Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 9:20 pm

meanwhile, back at the ranch, look at this shot
sis took when she was in red rocks country week
before last....... that's one happy bee

you can see the other photos at the blog

Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn. Yellow10
Back to top Go down
zuni
zuni

Number of posts : 1319
Humor : does a fat kid miss cake ???

PostSubject: Re: Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn.   Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn. Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 9:28 pm

cool photos winehippie........
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

PostSubject: Re: Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn.   Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn. Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 10:27 pm

What a wonderful looking flower hippie and yep that bee looks a happy to me too. sunny
Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

PostSubject: more bee info   Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 9:18 am

"Their disappearance has caused alarm throughout Europe and North America where campaigners have blamed agricultural pesticides, climate change and the advent of genetically modified crops for what is now known as 'colony collapse disorder.' Britain has seen a 15 per cent decline in its bee population in the last two years and shrinking numbers has led to a rise in thefts of hives.

Now researchers from Chandigarh's Punjab University claim they have found the cause which could be the first step in reversing the decline: They have established that radiation from mobile telephones is a key factor in the phenomenon and say that it probably interfering with the bee's navigation senses.

They set up a controlled experiment in Punjab earlier this year comparing the behaviour and productivity of bees in two hives – one fitted with two mobile telephones which were powered on for two fifteen minute sessions per day for three months. The other had dummy models installed."

continued: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/7778401/Mobile-phones-responsible-for-disappearance-of-honey-bee.html

After three months the researchers recorded a dramatic decline in the size of the hive fitted with the mobile phon, a significant reduction in the number of eggs laid by the queen bee. The bees also stopped producing honey.

The queen bee in the "mobile" hive produced fewer than half of those created by her counterpart in the normal hive.

They also found a dramatic decline in the number of worker bees returning to the hive after collecting pollen. Because of this the amount of nectar produced in the hive also shrank
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

PostSubject: Re: Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn.   Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 4:56 pm

Those phones are bad all round.
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn.   Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 6:10 pm

affraid

well i don't think it is any ONE thing..i think there are combinations of things that are working to do harm to a lot of mother's creatures.

you aren't ready for this..well i wasn't that's for sure
long story short i took the young pup to be nuetered at what was once a great farm vet clinic..now i think it is just a puppy spa place..grrrrrrrrr
i could do a four page rant on that experience but i won't
anyway
..they they me that they have to treat him for fleas before admitting him..i say what if he doesn't have fleas..they say they can't take a chance..
i am not in favor of putting chemicals on my critters..we discuss things for a few very tense moments
but
i'm kinda between a rock and a hard place..i sigh and say ok..what are you using
well they only use advantage....yeah..i know i am going to get soaked for it..and they did soak me 18 bucks worth for one flea treatment
..see..maybe a five page rant cause there WAS more

anyway.. i am conscerned and come home and look it up to see what it is and how it works..

would you believe it is ONE of the things being blamed for bee colony disorder....is the main ingredient in advantage
it is a nuero toxin that disrupts the insects nervous system
wtf wtf wtf wtf wtf

and i won't do the rant..but here are just some of the tidbits from what i looked up..links are included if you want the whole ball of wax

How it works
Use Advantage monthly to kill fleas within minutes. The active ingredient is imidacloprid, which acts on the nervous system of the flea to cause paralysis and subsequent death. Advantage stops biting fleas in three to five minutes and starts to kill adult fleas within an hour after application.1 Within 12 hours of application, 98-100 percent of fleas are dead. This is important because flea bites can lead to skin infections, cause discomfort for your pet, lead to allergic skin reactions, and can even transmit other disease-causing organisms, including tapeworms.

You won't need to use another flea control product. Advantage kills fleas before they lay eggs, so their life cycle is broken at multiple stages. It also kills flea larvae within 20 minutes of contact.1

http://advantage.petparents.com/howItWorks.cfm

********************************************************************************************************

Imidacloprid Application
Imidacloprid is manufactured by Bayer CropScience. Imidacloprid is a systemic, chloro-nicotinyl insecticide with soil, seed and foliar uses for the control of sucking insects including rice hoppers, aphids, thrips, whiteflies, termites, turf insects, soil insects and some beetles.

It is most commonly used on rice, cereal, maize, potatoes, vegetables, sugar beets, fruit, cotton, hops and turf, and is especially systemic when used as a seed or soil treatment.

Imidacloprid works by interfering with the transmission of stimuli in the insect nervous system. Specifically, it causes a blockage in a type of neuronal pathway (nicotinergic) that is more abundant in insects than in warm-blooded animals (making the chemical selectively more toxic to insects than warm-blooded animals).

This blockage leads to the accumulation of acetylcholine, an important neurotransmitter, resulting in the insect's paralysis, and eventually death.

It is effective on contact and via stomach action. Imidacloprid can be phytotoxic (toxic to plants) if not used according to manufacturers instructions, and it has a tendency to reduce seedling emergence and crop vigour.

http://www.sinoharvest.com/products/Imidacloprid.shtml

******************************************************************************************************************************
Imidacloprid is a neonicotinoid, which is a class of neuro-active insecticides modeled after nicotine. A patented chemical, imidacloprid is manufactured by Bayer Cropscience (part of Bayer AG) and sold under trade names Kohinor, Admire, Advantage(Advocate), Gaucho, Merit, Confidor, Hachikusan, Premise, Prothor, and Winner. It is marketed as pest control, seed treatment, an insecticide spray, termite control, flea control, and a systemic insecticide.

Studies on rats indicate that the thyroid is the organ most affected by imidacloprid. Thyroid lesions occurred in male rats at a Lowest Observed Adverse Effect Level of 16.9 mg/kg/day[2]

In France, its use (as Gaucho) has become controversial due to a possible link to derangement of behavior in domesticated honeybees. See Imidacloprid effects on bee population. In relation to this, Germany has banned seed treatment related to neonicotinoids, in May 2008, due to negative effects upon bee colonies

http://www.answers.com/topic/imidacloprid
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

PostSubject: Re: Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn.   Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 6:28 pm

Somehow I'm not surprised about the cell phones affecting their navigation.
Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

PostSubject: Re: Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn.   Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 12:30 am

sky, i think you oughta take your research back to the vet -
not confrontationally, but simply for their own info
i use eucalyptus on the pups, nary a flea, EVER
a bit of oil rubbed into their coats and some fresh branches
in the corner of a room
i am not convinced that they cannot tell upon examination if a dog has fleas -
it's always been pretty obvious to my naked eye - sounds more like extra
income for them
"we can't take a chance" like the fleas are packing ouzies or something
Back to top Go down
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

Number of posts : 4957
Humor : I hope so
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn.   Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 2:20 am

WineHippie wrote:
meanwhile, back at the ranch, look at this shot
sis took when she was in red rocks country week
before last....... that's one happy bee

you can see the other photos at the blog

Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn. Yellow10

I love your blog, great pictures sister.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn.   Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Truck carrying 17 million bees crashes in Minn.
Page 1 of 1