the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires

Go down 
+5
Reunite
micjer
mntruthseeker
WineHippie
Linda
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Linda
Linda

Number of posts : 2496
Humor : Of Course!
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Empty
PostSubject: Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires   Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 3:25 pm

By Jane Cowan in Marysville and reporters
Updated Sun Feb 8, 2009 12:32pm AEDT
Marysville lies in ruins after a bushfire tore through it

The township of Marysville in central Victoria has been almost completely destroyed by bushfires and there are grave fears for the town of Kinglake, where at least 12 people are known to have died.

Survivors in Marysville told ABC reporter Jane Cowan of seeing house after house go up in flames as the fire hit, with exploding gas canisters hurled through walls, and said at least one woman had been killed.

Aerial pictures taken by the ABC show street after street of completely destroyed homes in Marysville. Most are just piles of rubble. Some still have walls standing and a handful appear to be mostly intact.

In all 35 people are now confirmed to have died in the fires north of Melbourne and this morning there are unconfirmed reports of bodies being found in cars overtaken by the fires in Gippsland in the state's east.

Six of the confirmed dead have been found at Kinglake, six at Kinglake West and four each at St Andrews and Wandong, all north of Melbourne. More bodies have been found at Humevale, Bendigo, and Arthurs Creek and there are reports of at least one death in Marysville.

Authorities are unable to get into Kinglake to confirm the level of destruction but yesterday ABC Local Radio listener Peter Mitchell said the entire town was on fire.

"The whole of Kinglake is ablaze," he said. "I live a couple of kilometres out of town and when I heard explosions I went to the end of my road to see what was going on and by the time I got there I saw fires everywhere."

'Ceased to exist'

Jane Cowan visited Marysville this morning and says the township has "virtually ceased to exist".

"We were in the main street and it's like a warzone, like a bomb has been dropped on the entire township," she said.

"People there are in an absolute state of shock. Most people had already left, but the people, I'd say about 30 people that are still left and had spent the night sheltering on the Football Oval there, are just completely dazed.

"[They are] walking around the streets with rugs around their shoulders because it's actually getting cold here now if you can believe it.

"And they tell stories of how fast everything turned bad there yesterday, about five or six o'clock in the evening.

"They say they actually thought the fire was going to go around the town of Marysville and then in a matter of minutes the sky went black and they knew they were in big trouble.

"People are talking about sheltering in their homes seeing every single house in their street go up in flames in a row, one by one ... of narrow escapes ... houses that managed to survive.

"There's a handful of houses that miraculously are still standing in Marysville.

"One lady whose house actually made it said she thought she was going to lose hers as well as she watched all the others go up around her.

"Then one of their windows cracked and she thought that was it theirs going as well. But somehow they made it.

"There are stories of households that sheltered three families in one house. Of gas bottles from nearby houses exploding and then piercing their houses and then those houses catching fire as well. It's an absolute warzone.

"They're just in a state of shock John. It's way too early [to talk about rebuilding].

"The people who are there are being very generous with their emotions. Everything's very raw, there are lives that have been lost in Marysville.

Fatalities

"People are saying that there are bodies in the town, terrible stories of for instance a woman who was found in her car this morning, obviously, was trying to escape. She didn't make it. She had her crockery on the seat beside her in the car.

"That's where their heads are at the moment. It's way too early to start thinking about rebuilding.

"They've got no power, no water, no phone coverage. And they've all actually just left the town, abandoned the town this morning, in a convoy.

"They've been driven out by the emergency services now who are cutting trees off the road to get them out because it's just not safe to be there even now because they've absolultely no services."

'Cattle burning'

But there were conflicting reports from the nearby township of Narbethong, south-west of Marysville.

Resident Raylene Kincaide lost her home and says the whole township is gone.

"It's just devastating. We've lost everything. It's not good," she said. "Our little town had gone 20 minutes after we left. Probably 95 per cent of the houses are gone.

She said they are worried that some residents are missing and have not been accounted for.

"My partner was up there and he left when he saw the cattle burning. I've been in Ash Wednesday, but this is worse," she said.

But Jane Cowan said she believed "probably three houses have been lost" in Narbethong.

"It's very difficult to tell at the moment, we're still getting a handle on the damage there," she said.

"It's nowhere near the same damage as places like Marysville. It looks like there would have been a lot of damage to stock, paddocks are blackened, but it's still very difficult to get a handle on it.

"Homes have been lost all over the place out here but I couldn't give you too much information about Narbethong now."

About 700 firefighters are working around Kinglake, Kilmore, Murrindindi and Marysville.

The SES number is 132 500. In a life-threatening emergency or to report a fire, call 000.

Grim day ahead

Eighteen people are being treated for burns at Melbourne's Alfred Hospital, eight of whom are in intensive care.

Emergency physician John Coleridge says it is going to be grim day for those searching for others caught out by the fires

"There are apparently cars along the roadside just abandoned," he said.

"Unfortunately they'll probably find many more people, many of whom may not survive."

Hospital workers say the injuries suffered by victims are the worst they have seen since the Bali bombings.

In total, the blazes are thought to have burnt through more than 100,000 hectares and caused extensive property damage.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/08/2485378.htm
Back to top Go down
http://wheresoulsreside.com/
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...

PostSubject: Re: Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires   Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 4:35 pm

those poor people......
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
mntruthseeker
mntruthseeker

Number of posts : 698
Humor : I got some
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires   Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 4:51 pm

SO SAD. My heart goes out to all of them and pray that they get the help they need and fast
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

Number of posts : 5325

PostSubject: Re: Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires   Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 5:34 pm

Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires R337269_1530029

Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires 090207_VIC_fire

Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires 090207_VIC_fire2

Saved from the heat a week earlier..

Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires 090206_koala_3

Last edited by micjer on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

Number of posts : 4993
Humor : Dry and Wet

PostSubject: Re: Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires   Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 5:57 pm

Update over 108 lives have been claimed and more people missing.

It's all over the front newspapers here in oz. I can't believe it.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/744864/at-least-93-dead-in-victorian-bushfires

I hope Biggles is ok..she's not far from that area in Victoria
Back to top Go down
Anchor
Anchor

Number of posts : 1441
Humor : Some
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires   Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 7:58 pm

Biggles is posting ;)

Upset, but fine.
Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...

PostSubject: Re: Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires   Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 10:45 pm

Anchor wrote:
Biggles is posting ;)

Upset, but fine.

oh thank goodness, ty for info, appreciate
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
Reunite
Reunite

PostSubject: Re: Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires   Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 10:57 pm

That's great news about Biggles. Send my love if you speak to her please
Back to top Go down
Anchor
Anchor

PostSubject: Re: Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires   Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 1:30 am

[Done PM sent to Biggles]

My wife just saw a new report on TV just now wherein someone reported their house started burning from the inside.

I watched a report where a firefighter commander was talking about a house that was unaffected, yet one 100m up a slope "exploded" (!!). He said. I can normally take care of these kind of bush fires but for this there was nothing I could do.

Also in many places the flamefronts were not "moving through" like normal bushfires. They were acting as if steered by rapidly changing wind directions.

I hate to say it, but my first thought (shared only with my wife yesterday) was that scalar weapons were used to magnify the damage and keep fires burning past the passage of the flame front. Note - this is just an idea, not any "information" if you know what I mean. Seeing the news reports today made me want to share the idea. Sorry if its doom and gloom - how can you share an idea like that though without it being.

Another thing - the coverage is worse than 9/11 - everything is about milking the story for the fear and emotional drama. Rudd the little shit is speaking heroic bollocks. It's all about digging deep and donating money to unaudited charities.

May we all be blessed, guided and protected in the love and in the light of the one infinite creator.

A..
Back to top Go down
Linda
Linda

Number of posts : 2496
Humor : Of Course!

PostSubject: Re: Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires   Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 1:50 am

I also had a very bad feeling about these fires....it angers me......something is just not right.
I pray for everyone who is suffering.
Back to top Go down
http://wheresoulsreside.com/
Dean Plejaren

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires   Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 3:04 am

Dean Plejaren on another forum in 2006 wrote:
I had a dream that I picked up this handbook and it was called the black book. Like the devils bible. I opened a page and it said "Great winds spread fire across the earth like never before."

I was banned from the forum and my threads deleted. So unfortunately I can't prove this. Only to myself it's known.
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

PostSubject: Re: Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires   Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 2:58 pm

Anchor wrote:

Thanks Anchor
Back to top Go down
Anchor
Anchor

PostSubject: Re: Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires   Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 8:07 pm

Reunite wrote:
Anchor wrote:

Thanks Anchor

No worries - here is the respose

biggles wrote:
Please send all my love back and let them know that at the moment I am still logging on through an internet cafe hon, but when I get my own set up I will join Zuni's forum.
Back to top Go down
Dean Plejaren

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires   Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:17 am

I feel really hurt for the individuals that are struggling and lost their lives right now who were caught unprepared. A very dark time. This was always coming I saw it miles and miles away. Climate change put hot weather together with lots of bush and high winds. And you get fires.

Now because people don't take a lot of responsibility for themself they think the government will always protect them from everything. I do believe the secret government was the one that started these fires on purpose. That's how hypnotized everyone is, how distracted they are from reality.

I see this as a warning message from the Illuminati. Wake up. Cooperate. Unite. Start living life. Or we will burn your cities down.
Back to top Go down
Anchor
Anchor

PostSubject: Re: Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires   Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 2:55 am

I read today that in some cases this fire was made worse because of a decision some few years ago to close off some of the forests round there - it allowed them to get more loaded with vegetation.

I have been studying bushfire defense because I want to move to some high ground in the great dividing range (part of my "mission"). It is possible to do this safely, but what you don't need is help from the government.

The legal framework that empowers them to mess with your life is pretty tight - even up in remote areas, even more so if it is a "national park".

I also read calls for an end to the option that allows people "to stay and defend", even to the extent of installing sirens to evacuate people ... I hope that doesn't happen, but you can see this as a pre-cursor to increasing thier powers to move people out of the very places that you could survive economic hardships in.

A..
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

PostSubject: Re: Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires   Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 6:44 pm

Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires ATT746761
Back to top Go down
raulduke
raulduke

Number of posts : 404
Humor : myself

PostSubject: Re: Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires   Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 11:12 pm

I just saw that pic Reunite, and was on my way here to post it. That's a great shot. I'm a big tough guy most of the time, but when I saw that koala holdin that smoke jumper's hand it was all "awwwwwww". :)

God bless the smokejumpers and all the firefighters. We just had family fighting the flames for their house outside Los Angelas last year. They stayed and did a great job cutting fire breaks and dousing their roof and their neighbors roofs and were very lucky to be able save their house and two of their nieghbors' houses actually.

I read somewhere today that authorities think this was arson, is that right aussies? That's the same thing that came out about the LA fires last year, I think that turned out to be a 16 year old kid but it's strange that there's been a lot of these large arson forest fires nonetheless. It's an awful loss and death toll regardless, but I hate to hear it was posssibly deliberate.
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

PostSubject: Re: Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires   Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 12:19 am

That's right raulduke it is believed to be arsonists. Our Prime Minister Kevin Rudd announced on TV it was an act of mass murder.
Back to top Go down
raulduke
raulduke

Number of posts : 404
Humor : myself

PostSubject: Re: Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires   Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 6:09 pm

That really sucks. I'm very sorry to hear that Reunite. I'll say a prayer for Victoria, to send 'em some precipitation.

I read that police are looking for one guy, but it sounds to me like there may be multiple arsonists. I wouldn't be surprised though, if somehow they find a single scapegoat in a hurry.

Anyway on a lighter note, I saw this video of that dehydrated koala today.

Firefighter: "Watch, he'll get hydrated, and then he'll rip the f@#*ing sh$t outta me" too funny
Back to top Go down
zuni
zuni

Number of posts : 1319
Humor : does a fat kid miss cake ???

PostSubject: Re: Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires   Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 12:57 pm

this is truely sad.....total destruction ..... this is what i consider to be a true act of evil........these photos are heart breaking.......it´s hard to understand why someone would do this delibrately....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires   Wiped out: Town destroyed by killer fires Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1