the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Google Expands Tracking to Logged Out Users

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Google Expands Tracking to Logged Out Users Empty
PostSubject: Google Expands Tracking to Logged Out Users   Google Expands Tracking to Logged Out Users Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 8:02 am

good morning!

(Tech Radar)
Now, everyone has their activities tracked in the name of a better service
Anyone who’s a regular Google search user will know that the only way to avoid the company tracking your online activities is to log out of Gmail or whatever Google account you use. Not any more.
As of last Friday, even searchers who aren’t logged into Google in any way have their data tracked in the name of providing a ‘better service’.
Anonymous cookie
The company explained: “What we’re doing today is expanding Personalized Search so that we can provide it to signed-out users as well. This addition enables us to customise search results for you based upon 180 days of search activity linked to an anonymous cookie in your browser.”
However, if you’ve previously been a fan of the log-out method to avoid being tracked, there’s still the option to disable the cookie by clicking a link at the top right of a search results page.

am researching more now.....
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
Lightning222

Number of posts : 2198
Humor : most definitely
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Google Expands Tracking to Logged Out Users   Google Expands Tracking to Logged Out Users Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 9:20 am

There are several no tracking search engines which I prefer to use. Google and AOL are too compliant with giving up information to the Government and any other party that suits their interests.

But in the long run I kind of enjoy visiting sites that I know I am being tracked on for their amusement... lol!
Back to top Go down
New World Orphan
New World Orphan

Number of posts : 709
Humor : No thank you
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Google Expands Tracking to Logged Out Users   Google Expands Tracking to Logged Out Users Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 6:31 pm

What engines are those?
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Google Expands Tracking to Logged Out Users   Google Expands Tracking to Logged Out Users Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 8:53 pm

affraid

Google CEO On Privacy: 'If You Have Something You Don't Want Anyone To Know, Maybe You Shouldn't Be Doing It'

First Posted: 12- 7-09 03:54 PM | Updated: 12- 7-09 05:44 PM
Yahoo, Verizon, Sprint, and others have recently come under fire for sharing customer data with the authorities, and admitting to "spying" abilities that would "shock" and "confuse" customers.

A CNBC interview with Google CEO Eric Schmidt suggests the search giant Google shouldn't get off easy, and users should be wary of what Google knows about them -- and with whom they can share that information.

CNBC's Mario Bartiromo asked CEO Schmidt in her December 3, 2009 interview: "People are treating Google like their most trusted friend. Should they?"

Schmidt's reply hints that if there's scandalous information out there about you, it's your problem, not Google's.

Schmidt tells Baritoromo:

If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

He expands on his answer, adding that the your information could be made available not only to curious searchers or prying friends, but also to the authorities, and that there's little recourse for people worried about unintentionally "oversharing" online:

But if you really need that kind of privacy, the reality is that search engines, including Google, do retain this information for some time. And [...] we're all subject, in the US, to the Patriot Act, and it is possible that that information could be made available to the authorities.
Leaked documents revealing Yahoo's guide for law enforcement officials, which explains how they can obtain consumer data, highlights the type of information internet companies may have about their users -- and can share with the authorities.

Silicon Alley Insider notes,

For example, Yahoo's document helpfully alerts law enforcement that if they'd like to read a user's instant messanger logs, they better ask within 45 days and come bearing a 2703(d) order. That is, unless there's "imminent danger of death or serious physical injury." If that's the case, there's another letter to fax entirely

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/07/google-ceo-on-privacy-if_n_383105.html
Sleep
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

Number of posts : 2198
Humor : most definitely
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Google Expands Tracking to Logged Out Users   Google Expands Tracking to Logged Out Users Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 8:59 pm

Hey my post disappeared??? I guess we must have posted at the same time.

I'll try it again, this is the one I like:

http://www.ixquick.com/eng/protect-privacy.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Google Expands Tracking to Logged Out Users   Google Expands Tracking to Logged Out Users Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Google Expands Tracking to Logged Out Users
Page 1 of 1