the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Militia movement resurfaces across nation

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

Militia movement resurfaces across nation Empty
PostSubject: Militia movement resurfaces across nation   Militia movement resurfaces across nation Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 8:20 am

sunny

Resurgence in part coincides with the arrival of Obama administration

By RACHEL D'ORO
Associated Press Writer

updated 6:23 p.m. ET, Fri., Nov . 20, 2009
NIKISKI, Alaska - Norm Olson's genial tone belies his reputation as a radical militiaman, yet here he is, at 63, an affable grandfather explaining why Americans should arm themselves against their government.

Walking stick in hand, clad in military fatigues, he strolls a trail in the woods near his home, located on 22 acres near Nikiski, a small, unincorporated community with isolated roads and no local government. The nearest state trooper post is two towns away.

A fellow militiaman, armed with an assault rifle, walks along as Olson — a man whose conspiracy theories were so extreme that he was kicked out of the group he founded, the Michigan Militia, 15 years ago — discourses on the need for a paramilitary Alaska Citizens Militia.

Militia movement resurfaces across nation 09112010
Ray Southwell, left, and Norm Olson, members of the Alaska Citizens Militia, stand by the woods near their home in Nikiski, Alaska, on Sept. 29. Olson's militia is small at the moment, but there has been a resurgence of the militia movement nationwide.

He lays out his ideas about imminent economic collapse and social chaos incited by federal bailouts and other forms of intrusion by a tyrannical government.

Olson's militia is minuscule at the moment, but there has been a resurgence of the militia movement nationwide, in part coinciding with the advent of the Obama administration. At least 50 new right-wing militia groups have been identified by the Montgomery, Ala.-based Southern Poverty Law Center, a nonprofit civil rights organization. All have formed within the last two years, many spreading their speeches and combat exercises on YouTube.

"It's the response to fear," Olson says.

Olson lets that sink in. Then he adds: "The federal government can roll into your driveway in the middle of the night and snatch you up and take you away and you'll never be seen again."

Heated rhetoric
If the words sound familiar, there is good reason. It is rhetoric that was typical of the so-called patriot movement of the 1990s, amid similar circumstances: A Democrat, Bill Clinton, was in office. There was heightened interest in gun control legislation. Veterans were returning from the first Gulf War. Elaborate conspiracy theories were spreading.

Today's troubled economy and the perception that other countries are rising in influence might also be fueling activity among white supremacist and militia groups, according to an intelligence assessment by the federal Department of Homeland Security.

A significant difference this time, according to the April analysis, is that the nation has its first black president. "Right-wing extremists," the report says, "are harnessing this historical election as a recruitment tool."

There is a violent edge to this movement. Lone wolves and small groups who are "embracing violent right-wing extremist ideology are the most dangerous domestic terrorism threat," according to the report. It cited an April shooting in Pittsburgh that left three police officers dead at the hands of a gunman reportedly influenced by racist ideology and fears that a gun ban was imminent with Barack Obama in charge.

In the first five months of Obama's presidency, racist, right-wing extremists killed at least nine people, according to Chip Berlet, senior analyst with Political Research Associates, a Somerville, Mass., think tank.

Such attacks are a vent for racial anxiety and outrage at the perceived liberal government by people who feel powerless to reach the political elites, according to Berlet. Instead, they target those within reach.

"It's a perfect storm for violence," Berlet said. "You ignore it at our peril."

But Jonathan White, a professor at Allendale, Mich.-based Grand Valley State University who has done extensive research on violent extremism and terrorism, says most militia members are "rhetoric only" — and that's where he puts Olson. The danger comes, he said, when these ideologies prompt paranoid "Alamo" groups to gear up for a standoff with the perceived enemy.

Settling in Alaska
The lake behind Olson's house gleams like pewter under the overcast sky as he stands before a backdrop of trees that are turning autumn gold.

He's a long way from Michigan, where he was booted from his own militia after charging that the 1995 bombing of the Oklahoma City federal building, which killed 168 and injured more than 680, was a conspiracy between the United States and Japan.

Ultra-extremist Timothy McVeigh and his co-conspirator Terry Nichols were convicted in the devastating attack; both McVeigh and Nichols had attended Michigan Militia meetings.

Olson, a retired Air Force master sergeant, started another militia before fading from public view. Then several years ago, he and four other militia peers — including Ray Southwell, co-founder of the Michigan Militia — moved to Alaska, settling in Nikiski, a four-hour drive from Anchorage.

All brought their families, including Olson's wife Mary and their daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren. Olson, also a former Baptist minister, holds non-denominational services at his home on Sundays.

For years, Olson and the rest lived quietly in Alaska. Olson was appointed to the service area board of the nearest hospital, where Southwell works as an emergency room nurse.

Olson says the newcomers were attracted to Nikiski, a community of about 4,400, after researching it's reputation for being rough around the edges, stubbornly independent and suspicious of government.

"I knew that we wouldn't be rejected," he says. "People have left us alone and we've gotten along well with our neighbors."
Race not an issue?
But his presence did not go unnoticed. It was mentioned in a July 2005 situation report by the state's Division of Homeland Security. Olson said he has also met with representatives of the FBI and Alaska State troopers. The agencies won't discuss specifics; Olson says they talked about the reemergence of the militia and past mistakes by federal agents, citing Ruby Ridge, Idaho, where an FBI standoff with white separatist Randy Weaver left three dead in 1992, sparking the movement.

Olson says other groups already represent the militia philosophy in Alaska, pointing to outfits such as the 7,000-strong Second Amendment Task Force out of Fairbanks, whose members meet to study constitutional law and openly carry guns and rifles on weekends.

So far, the Alaska Citizens Militia has been slow in building its ranks. Only 20 people attended an introductory meeting in
in September, and no one signed on.
Obama's race, Olson insists, is not an issue. The militiaman carrying the assault rifle and accompanying him on this walk is, in fact, black. The ex-Marine does not want to be identified, saying it would undermine his role as a combat weapons trainer for any patriot who asks. He says his big gun guards against bears.

'Tyrants' in government
Olson wants it known that violent individuals aren't welcome to join. Anyone who wants to blow up a bridge or kill a judge need not apply, he says. And he says there is no reason for anyone to be frightened by his rhetoric.

"When I say we need to stand up and shake the gun in the face of the tyrants, we're not against the American people," he says. "We're not even against the United States government. We're against the tyrants inside the government."

This time around, he doesn't envision taking a training role as he did with the Michigan Militia, 15,000-strong at its height. And please, he says, don't call his property a compound.

"I'm 63 years old. I don't have the energy to be, you know, grunting back through the woods," he says. "I'm a flag waver. That's really all I am today."

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34070149/ns/us_news-life/page/2/

Sleep
Back to top Go down
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

Number of posts : 4957
Humor : I hope so
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Militia movement resurfaces across nation   Militia movement resurfaces across nation Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 1:41 pm

Sky otter,

Your report is awesome because the militia is part of the Constitutional documents of America. They are a legal organization that is formed to fight against the government when the government becomes tyrannical, which the government of the U.S. has become through corruption and monetary policy.

All politicians hate the Militia and all that they stand for. It does not matter to me if the Militia is right wing or left wing, because they are necessary according to the founding fathers of this country.

More power to the Militia.
Back to top Go down
Northern Boy
Northern Boy

Number of posts : 1236
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Militia movement resurfaces across nation   Militia movement resurfaces across nation Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 4:51 pm

The whole problem is not if they are right or left it is that Politicians are afraid of their existance period . the fact that they could arrest the elected officials for not doing the job they were elected to do can be a frightening thing . When those wealthy elected corporate butt kissers come home they have no idea if some militia upset with the performance of him or her may show up to drag them away. \see its ok if its me or you but heaven forbid if one of them gets hauled away .
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

Number of posts : 2954
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Militia movement resurfaces across nation   Militia movement resurfaces across nation Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 9:54 am

Milita movement scares the crap out of me to be very honest :bonkers:
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: Militia movement resurfaces across nation   Militia movement resurfaces across nation Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 10:33 am

flower

well while i like the idea that they might keep the gov in check

i don't like the idea that they would be in power

it would be gang mentality
and the guy with the bigest gun in charge
kinda like going backasswards
affraid
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

Number of posts : 2954
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Militia movement resurfaces across nation   Militia movement resurfaces across nation Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 10:59 am

Absolutley 110% Sky that these people would be just as mad as the system LOL

Thats why I like this place to a large degree as most people here even though I had a moment are thinking out of that picture!

Maybe some of us want to leave this planet once the soul is done with here LOL

To me these things will hold one back in trival crap
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: Militia movement resurfaces across nation   Militia movement resurfaces across nation Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 11:19 am

flower
Soma
it's all one big puzzle...really

where do you draw the line at helping others and not interferring with others
where is the line for learning to progress and service to self
where do we go for real accurate info on just what the hell is NEXT for us

i don't think it is harps on clouds.. BigSmile2

and i think all the current thinking on how we progress is a bit obscure
i remember reading something the gnostics were supposed to have said (although i have never been able to substaniate it)
and that is we humans don't have the brain power to understand what really is next or what god really is (paraphrased)

i do think, believe, feel that we have the power to change it all..
but the instructions have been lost and we are fumbling around in the dark trying like hell to find the switch to
this power before it is too late..
ignorance isn't bliss to my way of thinking

perhaps pushing each others buttons is the way to work at it..not in a mean attacking way
but with enough edge to spark the light of knowledge

sigh..
steelers are on gotta go..
later
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

Number of posts : 5325
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Militia movement resurfaces across nation   Militia movement resurfaces across nation Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 1:56 pm

hehe
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: Militia movement resurfaces across nation   Militia movement resurfaces across nation Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 3:16 pm

cheers

ahhhhhhh you found our resident cutie... thankyoub

if i haven't said it before (year right..)
this area is a wonderful place to live...very caring

troy was out to dinner in a small local spagetti place..locally famous and serves about 500 folks a night
there is always a line to enter and he waited with everyone else..
most folks just sayin Hi Troy ..glad you're here....as he and his wife waited their turn
not pushy..on either end

he ate dinner and no one bothered him..some waves now and then but he had an no intrruption meal
as he left he got waves from a lot of people..so yeah they knew who he was but respected his privacy

he asks to see the manager....

as each person got their bill..it said...Troy paid

now how's that..and yep a true story..i had a friend there that night
thumbsupb
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

PostSubject: Re: Militia movement resurfaces across nation   Militia movement resurfaces across nation Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 7:15 pm

I just love athletes and celebs like that. Do you suppose Terrell Owens would do that?
Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

PostSubject: Re: Militia movement resurfaces across nation   Militia movement resurfaces across nation Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 9:32 pm

thread hijacked ... good job .. too funny

Nope..don't think so....

here in the burg the steelers aren't treated like celebs at all..they're treated like family
with a ton of siblings....

BigSmile2
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

PostSubject: Re: Militia movement resurfaces across nation   Militia movement resurfaces across nation Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 10:58 pm

I don't suppose you liked today's game. Hope Rothlisberger is ok.

Sorry about the thread hijacked thing. lol
Back to top Go down
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

PostSubject: Re: Militia movement resurfaces across nation   Militia movement resurfaces across nation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 2:08 am

sky otter wrote:
cheers

ahhhhhhh you found our resident cutie... thankyoub

if i haven't said it before (year right..)
this area is a wonderful place to live...very caring

troy was out to dinner in a small local spagetti place..locally famous and serves about 500 folks a night
there is always a line to enter and he waited with everyone else..
most folks just sayin Hi Troy ..glad you're here....as he and his wife waited their turn
not pushy..on either end

he ate dinner and no one bothered him..some waves now and then but he had an no intrruption meal
as he left he got waves from a lot of people..so yeah they knew who he was but respected his privacy

he asks to see the manager....

as each person got their bill..it said...Troy paid

Thats a real cool story Sky about Troy. Must be a decent person indeed.

now how's that..and yep a true story..i had a friend there that night
thumbsupb
Back to top Go down
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

PostSubject: Re: Militia movement resurfaces across nation   Militia movement resurfaces across nation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 2:11 am

Thats a real cool story Sky about Troy. Must be a decent person indeed.

I don't know how, but when I use the quote button sometimes my post will end up in the quote itself....LOL I guess this high tech is to hard for me to figure out...LOL
Back to top Go down
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

PostSubject: Re: Militia movement resurfaces across nation   Militia movement resurfaces across nation Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 2:13 am

micjer wrote:
I just love athletes and celebs like that. Do you suppose Terrell Owens would do that?

Mic, I too enjoy seeing stories about athletes or movie stars doing things like that... Kind of puts them in a "regular person" type of mode.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Militia movement resurfaces across nation   Militia movement resurfaces across nation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1