the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Star Nation Teachings - Wallace Black Elk

Go down 
AuthorMessage
day
day

Number of posts : 1193
Humor : dry, witty
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Star Nation Teachings - Wallace Black Elk Empty
PostSubject: Star Nation Teachings - Wallace Black Elk   Star Nation Teachings - Wallace Black Elk Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 6:23 pm

Part One of Six
Back to top Go down
day
day

PostSubject: Re: Star Nation Teachings - Wallace Black Elk   Star Nation Teachings - Wallace Black Elk Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 6:29 pm

THE SPIRIT OF BLACK ELK LIVES
Star Nation Teachings - Wallace Black Elk Native-BlackElkPray
Black Elk: Wicasa Wikan of the Oglala Sioux, 1863-1950

"Sometimes dreams are wiser than waking."

"I cured with the power that came through me. Of course, it was not I who cured, it was the power from the Outer World, the visions and the ceremonies had only made me like a hole through which the power could come to the two-leggeds." "If I thought that I was doing it myself, the hole would close up and no power could come through. Then everything I could do would be foolish."

Earth Prayer

"Grandfather, Great Spirit, once more behold me on earth and lean to hear my feeble voice. You lived first, and you are older than all need, older than all prayer. All things belong to you -- the two-legged, the four-legged, the wings of the air, and all green things that live.
"You have set the powers of the four quarters of the earth to cross each other. You have made me cross the good road and road of difficulties, and where they cross, the place is holy. Day in, day out, forevermore, you are the life of things."
Hey! Lean to hear my feeble voice.
At the center of the sacred hoop
You have said that I should make the tree to bloom.
With tears running, O Great Spirit, my Grandfather,
With running eyes I must say
The tree has never bloomed
Here I stand, and the tree is withered.
Again, I recall the great vision you gave me.
It may be that some little root of the sacred tree still lives.
Nourish it then
That it may leaf
And bloom
And fill with singing birds!
Hear me, that the people may once again
Find the good road
And the shielding tree.

Star Nation Teachings - Wallace Black Elk Black20elk
The Sunset

Then I was standing on the highest mountain of them all, and round about beneath me was the whole hoop of the world. And while I stood there I saw more than I can tell and I understood more than I saw; for I was seeing in a sacred manner the shapes of all things in the spirit, and the shape of all shapes as they must live together like one being.

And I say the sacred hoop of my people was one of the many hoops that made one circle, wide as daylight and as starlight, and in the center grew one mighty flowering tree to shelter all the children of one mother and one father. And I saw that it was holy...
But anywhere is the center of the world.

Square Gray Houses

A long time ago my father told me what his father had told him, that there was once a Lakota holy man, called "Drinks Water", who dreamed what was to be... He dreamed that the four-leggeds were going back to the Earth, and that a strange race would weave a web all around the Lakotas. He said, "You shall live in square gray houses, in a barren land..." Sometimes dreams are wiser than waking. (1932)

HEYOKA MAGAZINE. BLACK ELK
Back to top Go down
day
day

PostSubject: Re: Star Nation Teachings - Wallace Black Elk   Star Nation Teachings - Wallace Black Elk Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 6:30 pm

Star Nation Teachings - Wallace Black Elk Black_elk002
Back to top Go down
day
day

PostSubject: Re: Star Nation Teachings - Wallace Black Elk   Star Nation Teachings - Wallace Black Elk Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 7:28 pm

Back to top Go down
day
day

PostSubject: Re: Star Nation Teachings - Wallace Black Elk   Star Nation Teachings - Wallace Black Elk Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 7:42 pm

[The following is taken from the book Black Elk Speaks, by John G. Neihardt (New York: Washington Square Press, 1972) originally published in 1932. The book is Neihardt's recreation in English of the oral history that Black Elk, a medicine man (or "shaman," of the Oglala Sioux Indians, recounted for him in the Sioux language in 1931.

From Chapter 2: Early Boyhood
Star Nation Teachings - Wallace Black Elk Shaman08_big I was four years old then, and I think it must have been the next summer that I first heard the voices. It was a happy summer and nothing was afraid, because in the Moon When the Ponies Shed (May) word came from the Wasichus [the White Men] that there would be peace and that they would not use the road any more and that all the soldiers would go away. The soldiers did go away and their towns were torn down; and in the Moon of Falling Leaves (November), they made a treaty with Red Cloud that said our country would be ours as long as grass should grow and water flow. You can see that it is not the grass and the water that have forgotten.

Maybe it was not this summer when I first heard the voices, but I think it was, because I know it was before I played with bows and arrows or rode a horse, and I was out playing alone when I heard them. It was like somebody calling me, and I thought it was my mother, but there was nobody there. This happened more than once, and always made me afraid, so that I ran home.

It was when I was five years old that my Grandfather made me a bow and some arrows. The grass was young and I was horseback. A thunder storm was coming from where the sun goes down, and just as I was riding into the woods along a creek, there was a kingbird sitting on a limb. This was not a dream, it happened. And I was going to shoot at the kingbird with the bow my Grandfather made, when the bird spoke and said: "The clouds all over are one-sided." Perhaps it meant that all the clouds were looking at me. And then it said: "Listen! A voice is calling you!" Then I looked up at the clouds, and two men were coming there, headfirst like arrows slanting down; and as they came, they sang a sacred song and the thunder was like drumming. I will sing it for you. The song and the drumming were like this:

Behold, a sacred voice is calling you;
All over the sky a sacred voice is calling.

I sat there gazing at them, and they were coming from the place where the giant lives (north). But when they were very close to me, they wheeled about toward where the sun goes down, and suddenly they were geese. Then they were gone, and the rain came with a big wind and a roaring. I did not tell this vision to any one. I liked to think about it, but I was afraid to tell it.

http://www.heyokamagazine.com/HEYOKA.1.RED%20ELK.htm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Star Nation Teachings - Wallace Black Elk   Star Nation Teachings - Wallace Black Elk Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Star Nation Teachings - Wallace Black Elk
Page 1 of 1