the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits

Go down 
+6
Northern Boy
Anchor
Somamech
mntruthseeker
WineHippie
day
10 posters
AuthorMessage
day
day

Number of posts : 1193
Humor : dry, witty
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Empty
PostSubject: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 8:47 am

Opposition critics and First Nations leaders are slamming the government after Health Canada shipped dozens of body bags to aboriginal communities in Manitoba that have been hit hard by swine flu.

Chiefs said the body bags were sent to a handful of northern communities where dozens had to be airlifted earlier this year.

"If this is preparedness, they're sending the wrong message to our communities. Who would do such a thing?" Grand Chief David Harper, representing Manitoba's northern First Nations, asked Wednesday.

"It's like sending body bags to Afghanistan for our soldiers. We've been asking for proper health institutions, proper health equipment. Instead, what do we get? Body bags. That's totally unacceptable."

Full story:
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090916/flu_bodybags_090916/20090916?hub=TopStories

OK ...anyone have another name for this action???
Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 9:06 am

how about abominable?
this is "preparedness"?
for whom, i'd like to know?
just makes my blood boil
flaming
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
day
day

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 9:20 am

yoda WE WILL SURVIVE !!!

butterfly rainbow wowb smiley-face-sun-clou smiley-face-sun-clou group-hug wouhou
Back to top Go down
mntruthseeker
mntruthseeker

Number of posts : 698
Humor : I got some
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 1:26 pm

I feel just like you DAY moon walk rockin
Back to top Go down
Somamech
Somamech

Number of posts : 2954
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 1:43 pm

The most important fact everyone must remember is that no matter what occurs is that you live without fear and all associated feelings

sunny
Back to top Go down
day
day

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 2:37 pm

WineHippie wrote:
how about abominable?
this is "preparedness"?
for whom, i'd like to know?
just makes my blood boil
flaming

yep i knew what you mean...but we will survive!!!!! love
Back to top Go down
day
day

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 2:39 pm

mntruthseeker wrote:
I feel just like you DAY moon walk rockin

YAHHHH!! yoda cowboy wouhou
Back to top Go down
day
day

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 2:41 pm

Somamech wrote:
The most important fact everyone must remember is that no matter what occurs is that you live without fear and all associated feelings

sunny

yep no fear allowed...the Chief did not allow those body bags in the building and RETURNED TO SENDER!! flower rainbow wowb smiley-face-sun-clou
Back to top Go down
Anchor
Anchor

Number of posts : 1441
Humor : Some
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 4:16 pm

Sending body bags is sending fear (or attempting to).

Not sure what the balance of this is yes - so far it seems like we are pushing back on the actual material infections to such a degree that the governments are starting to look stupid to many people.

A..
Back to top Go down
Northern Boy
Northern Boy

Number of posts : 1236

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 4:35 pm

Exactly A.................... some one posted on the CBC website that we should be sending them to the soldiers as well
Back to top Go down
day
day

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 5:20 pm

Anchor wrote:
Sending body bags is sending fear (or attempting to).

Not sure what the balance of this is yes - so far it seems like we are pushing back on the actual material infections to such a degree that the governments are starting to look stupid to many people.

A..

yes...and that is why the Chief did not allow the boxes of body bags into the building - it remained outside and was returned ... a very strong statement ...there was a video on yahoo news showing Grand Chief David Harper speak on behalf of the reserves and taping up the boxes RETURN TO SENDER
But it was taken off ....

I found this ctv report on youtube

Back to top Go down
day
day

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 6:08 pm

Back to top Go down
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 8:15 pm

flower

Wow Day
that is harsh..and some poor clerk will probably get blamed and fired..when it may have been a more direct slam by
some idiot higher up...

but the more i see about this flu thing the more i thing it will turn back on them and that it will be a real turning point in more folks realizing just what is going on and waking up...

totally cruel and unreal action on the stupid gov..

scratch
Back to top Go down
day
day

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 8:26 pm

sky otter wrote:
flower

Wow Day
that is harsh..and some poor clerk will probably get blamed and fired..when it may have been a more direct slam by
some idiot higher up...

but the more i see about this flu thing the more i thing it will turn back on them and that it will be a real turning point in more folks realizing just what is going on and waking up...

totally cruel and unreal action on the stupid gov..

scratch

yea.....very much so ...but we will survive...we have before and will continue to ...lol... sunny

I think you're right Sky, it will turn around flower
Back to top Go down
day
day

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm

Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

Number of posts : 5325

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 8:43 pm

Return to Sender

Good for him!

peek
Back to top Go down
day
day

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 10:07 pm

Thank you everybody who took the few moments to share your thoughts and concerns ....that meant alot to me and you all helped me over a hump... my love butterfly rainbow smiley-face-sun-clou
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

Number of posts : 4993
Humor : Dry and Wet

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 10:20 pm

Quote :
"This is an absolute disgrace. This is morally appalling," Liberal health critic Dr. Carolyn Bennett said in a news release. "Instead of flu-kits, instead of preparing and planning to get the vaccine on time - instead of planning to save lives - they spent their time planning on how to deal with the deaths."

The act of sending body bags is disgraceful, it wouldn't surprise me that the government did this intentionally for a reaction to offer the reserves vaccines shortly after. You have a health critic opening up showing compassion only to offer a better solution of a vaccine.

Let me tell you the chief better put a return to sender once they deliver the vaccines too.
Back to top Go down
Lightning222

Number of posts : 2198
Humor : most definitely
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 10:33 pm

I read the article this morning and it put me in such a bad mood I didn't want to read anything else all day. This should be a crime!
Back to top Go down
Northern Boy
Northern Boy

Number of posts : 1236

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 7:16 am

If you could have heard the explanation they used to justify it . The reserve wanted medical supply`s such as hand cleaner and disinfectant . because it has an alcohol content they assumed the natives would just drink it . So they send the body bags instead. I mean what a sham did they not think . I can see the debate .... We should send them some hand disinfectant.... No why bother they`ll just drink it and it might kill them .... true we wouldn`t want that ..... just send the body bags . Some one please shoot me scratch
Back to top Go down
day
day

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 5:21 pm

yep its true but we will survive...lol...you know i love our people...we are resilient with all the problems etc ....our culture provides everything we need....in time all this will be behind us...
Back to top Go down
day
day

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Blame body-bag blunder on bad math: report

By Steve Rennie, The Canadian Press

OTTAWA - Blame the body bags on an order to go big.

That's the finding of a probe into why dozens of body bags were sent to a Manitoba reserve recently in what some took as a grim prognosis for the coming flu season.

But Health Canada's investigation found no sign of "ill will" - just bad math.

The department's five-page report says the Wasagamack First Nation's body-bag order was "disproportionately high in comparison to quantities in nursing stations across the country."

But that's because nurses were advised to "order generously and fill supply rooms" ahead of a possible second wave of swine flu this fall, the report says.

Senior officials told nurses in remote communities to order enough supplies to last three or four months instead of the usual six weeks.

"The repeated message given to nurses from senior levels down was to 'order big,"' the report says.

And apparently that's what the head nurse for the Wasagamack First Nation did.

The report found the nurse ordered 100 body bags in August for the tiny northern community of 1,750 people.

Only 38 bags were actually delivered. But that was still more than other nursing stations on reserves, which typically stock 10 bags or less.

"While body bags are an important medical supply (e.g., to prevent transmission of infection from a deceased person to others), the amount ordered for Wasagamack was a clear over-estimation," the report says.

"There was no evidence, however, of ill will or deliberate calculation on the (nurse in charge) or anyone else's part."

The nurse later told Health Canada she ordered so many body bags for Wasagamack because it's difficult to get supplies there.

Shipments come by airplane and boat in the summer, and by airplane and all-terrain vehicle in the winter.

Supplies have to be flown in by helicopter when ice forms in the fall and breaks up in the spring. It can take up to four trips to get all the supplies there - and that's if the weather's good.

But demographics are also behind the big order.

Most people in Wasagamack are under the age of 25 - an age group shown to be susceptible to swine flu.

The Health Canada report also found "significant numbers" of children, youth and pregnant women on the reserve. Those groups are at greater risk of complications from the virus.

Besides Wasagamack, five orders for body bags were placed by other Manitoba nursing stations in August and September, the investigation found.

But the department's records show all of those orders were on back-order and none were shipped.

That's counter to media reports at the time that several reserves received body bags.

The sight of body bags on reserves inflamed already-combustible relations between Ottawa and aboriginal communities, which were hard hit by swine flu in the spring.

More than a third of Manitoba's 891 confirmed cases of swine flu are aboriginals living on-or off-reserve.

Some interpreted the bags as a prediction from Ottawa that many in those same communities would not survive a second wave of H1N1, if and when it comes.

Grand Chief Ron Evans of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs chalked the mishap up to poor communications, but said someone should have noticed the large body-bag order before it went out the door.

"There was an order that was put in by the community and then Health Canada also ordered big," Evans said.

"It was just a matter of communication. It was a communication breakdown more than anything else.

"You should know the communities you are dealing with and you should know the population of the community."

Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq said her department will change the way it handles orders for body bags.

"To prevent a similar situation from occurring again, Health Canada will introduce stricter controls governing the procurement process for body bags," she said.

"Health Canada officials will also review the ordering practices for nursing stations as part of regular site visits."

Aglukkaq added she's pleased with the department's findings and how it responded.

"I am confident that everything possible has been done to ensure that it will not happen again," she said.

SOURCE[u][b]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits   Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Canadian Gov. Sends Body Bags to Reserves Instead of Flu Kits
Page 1 of 1