the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

urban permaculture......

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
zuni
zuni

Number of posts : 1319
Humor : does a fat kid miss cake ???
Registration date : 2009-01-23

urban permaculture...... Empty
PostSubject: urban permaculture......   urban permaculture...... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 8:07 am

hi this is one more way to take control of your food even if you live in the city.....
urban permaculture ....bill molison.....

Urban Permaculture Institute of the Southeast Tour with

these are just a few ideas to get you started thinking about what you could do aroud your home........bill molison is the best.......
Back to top Go down
feardia
feardia

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: urban permaculture......   urban permaculture...... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 3:57 pm

Thanx zuni great vids for an absolute beginner liked meself and hello to all
the newsetter came along at exactly the right time, i haven't really been posting on fora recently too much doom, gloom and egos. I wanted to do something practical, so I borrowed some tools and began an urban garden at the back of the flats where I live.
The neighbours all think I'm crazy and since we opened the beds, the kids have been out throwing stones, sods and all sorts. The small kids think food comes from 'Tescos'- the local nwo poison store, one of the other ones said 'they only do that in africa' wtf?
I think the plan is to break the soil up, get rid of the stones and plastic rubbish and plant spuds, onions, carrots, leeks etc. Advice on growing times etc welcome, soil condition etc.
We are in Ireland so spring is here, there can be frost in april, and the season lasts until late october, I think I'll work the soil and plant after the next full moon, seed gathering, composting and water supply to organise yet.
I have 2 spades, 1 hoe and 1 fork
now is the hour...
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

Number of posts : 5325

PostSubject: Re: urban permaculture......   urban permaculture...... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 4:12 pm

@feardia,

To get a good a crop of spuds they can use a lot of nutrients. ie fertilizer. If you don't want to use commercial fert then find some composted manure and put it under the tubers. Once the crop is growing and branches out don't forget to till up the soil around the base. You don't want the potatoes exposed on the surface to the sunlight because of the ultraviolet light and the new potatoes will turn green and not good for you.

Here in Canada you have to watch for potato bugs. They are fairly big and have developed a resistance to insecticides. Best to just pick them off and kill them if you want to stay organic. Watch for eggs on the bottom side of the leaves if you spot any because the multiply like mad. They will eat the leaves and decrease the yield significantly.

Happy gardening!

rockin
Back to top Go down
feardia
feardia

PostSubject: Re: urban permaculture......   urban permaculture...... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 4:42 pm

thanx mcjer
are you trying to teach an Irishman to grow spuds lol!
the biggest danger here for spuds is the blight- great famine 1847 and all, a series of wet summers caused the spuds to rot in the ground, otherwise they grow great here in the 'lazy beds'. The soil isn't too deep, but i have heard that you can put tyres around the plant to build it up to cover the spuds- i'll find out more.
My main bug at the minute is the kids throwing stones and the novel change to the immediate environment. Angry neighbours demanding fences and gates etc.
I'll keep everyone posted on progress,
one love, people get ready
Back to top Go down
zuni
zuni

PostSubject: Re: urban permaculture......   urban permaculture...... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 4:57 pm

feardia thanks for your video it´s inspiering........

i´m so sick of the doom and gloom shit too.....
we all know how things are going so now it´s time to move on to practical solutions ......

you are fortunate to have a space to work with........
i suggest starting some babe plants indoors now.....like tomatos....melons........peppers......cucumers.....strawberries........lettece......anything you harvest above ground.......that way you will get food sooner........transplant them in the garden after the last frost.........

i don´t have a clue about root veggies.....never grew them lol......

so maybe micjer can share mre tips ......... please
for garlic........beets ...carrots onions ????? what is the best way to grow root veggies ????
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

PostSubject: Re: urban permaculture......   urban permaculture...... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 5:02 pm

feardia wrote:
thanx mcjer
are you trying to teach an Irishman to grow spuds lol!
the biggest danger here for spuds is the blight- great famine 1847 and all, a series of wet summers caused the spuds to rot in the ground, otherwise they grow great here in the 'lazy beds'. The soil isn't too deep, but i have heard that you can put tyres around the plant to build it up to cover the spuds- i'll find out more.
My main bug at the minute is the kids throwing stones and the novel change to the immediate environment. Angry neighbours demanding fences and gates etc.
I'll keep everyone posted on progress,
one love, people get ready

Sorry I forgot you were in Ireland. Too funny. You guys invented spuds. I think all we invented in Canada was something called curly fries.

too funny
Back to top Go down
zuni
zuni

PostSubject: Re: urban permaculture......   urban permaculture...... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 5:26 pm

zuni indian garden.....

urban permaculture...... Zuni13

i am in love with this photo........ :love-061:
Back to top Go down
feardia
feardia

PostSubject: Re: urban permaculture......   urban permaculture...... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 6:06 pm

I think the planet could live easily with 6 billion of these rather than 500 million NWO elite, wouldn't be long 'til she was healed
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

Number of posts : 4993
Humor : Dry and Wet

PostSubject: Re: urban permaculture......   urban permaculture...... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 6:16 pm

feardia wrote:
I think the planet could live easily with 6 billion of these rather than 500 million NWO elite, wouldn't be long 'til she was healed

Right on thumbsupb
Back to top Go down
zuni
zuni

PostSubject: Re: urban permaculture......   urban permaculture...... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 1:33 am

here is another great documentry to gather some ideas from.........watch it here free........click in center of screen to make it full size............enjoy........

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/plants-for-a-future/
Back to top Go down
micjer
micjer

PostSubject: Re: urban permaculture......   urban permaculture...... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 8:35 am

18,000 community gardens spring up across America

urban permaculture...... 90417_community_garden

http://standeyo.com/NEWS/09_Food_Water/090417.growing.not.just.plants.html

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien said stores across the country have reported increasing demand for vegetable seeds. Throughout the spring, Wal-Mart plans to give its home gardening displays greater visibility than normal, she said.

Gerlach said several customers already are looking toward the fall and have asked about canning supplies. While Wisconsin Garden & Pet Supplies doesn't typically carry the tools for canning fruits and veggies, Gerlach said she's considering the idea.

"There's a whole generation that has never grown vegetables before," she said. "We hope people have success so they stay interested in gardening."
Back to top Go down
stephen Podliska
stephen Podliska

Number of posts : 596
Humor : YES and then some!
Registration date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: urban permaculture......   urban permaculture...... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 4:49 pm

ABSOLUTELY GREAT POSTINGS!!!

AND..... AS ONE MORE THING TO CONSIDER for those who like ......

.... TO WORRY LESS ABOUT ..... where to find food.... & just to EASE THE MIND....
.... THAT .... ONE CAN FIND FOOD .... JUST ABOUT ANYWHERE ....

SO THAT... IF ONE.. SO DECIDES TO GROW THEIR OWN FOOD .... IT CAN BE DONE....
..... 4 THE LOVE OF SUCH..... AND NOT THE "WORRY RELATED TO SUCH"......

... AND ALSO AS A GREAT HEALTH REMEDY....

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND.....

WHEET GRASS juice ....... where ...... all you need is a juicer and WA LA!!!

..... ONE CAN FIND ..... GRASS.... ALMOST ANYWHERE ......

.... NOT TO MENTION ALL THE "OTHER SUCH" WILD GREENS THAT CAN ALSO BE JUICED!!!

... ONE COULD ... and I STILL HAVE PLANS to SO DO SO ....IS TO LEARN more and more the "EDIBLE" natural and "mostly... so called unknow" foods around ONEs/your LIVING area ... that are ... "there for the taking" so as to FIND OUT "at your leasure" .... & just for THE FUN OF IT ..... WHAT IS ALREADY AVAILABLE... IF NEED BE.... IN YOUR AREA!!!

AND.... another ... EFFORTLESS way to get FOOD (after the initial related accomodations for such are made)..... AND with the USE of a GARDEN (for the fertilizer of such) ....... is with THE ADDITION OF CHICKENS!!

I kept chickens 4-6 in my garage and made a "home on wheels" for them so as to take them to "FREE RANGE" where they/I wanted ..... and they also loved some of the FAMILY LEFT OVERS!!! (And all the nutrients in the worms and spiders and such that they eat.... ALL GOES INTO THEIR EGGS .... to ADD to the nutrition of ONEs diet)!!

AGAIN ... GREAT THREADS AND RELATED VIDEOs...

ALOHA.....

Steve
Back to top Go down
zuni
zuni

PostSubject: Re: urban permaculture......   urban permaculture...... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 5:03 pm

hi steve.....
this is a great post.....you are spot on with your ideas......brilliant.......

i actually grew wheatgrass and juice it sometims......animals love it too.....i actually used it as a cure for myself and my cat friend.........stinging nettel juice is great stuff too.....

here is a thread that might intrest you.........
https://theforceiswithinyou.forumotion.com/organic-gardening-wild-harvesting-f32/scavaging-t125.htm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: urban permaculture......   urban permaculture...... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

urban permaculture......
Page 1 of 1