the force is withIN you !!!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

Number of posts : 4957
Humor : I hope so
Registration date : 2009-01-24

THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE Empty
PostSubject: THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE   THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 2:49 pm

This guy is amazing.
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

Number of posts : 4993
Humor : Dry and Wet
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE   THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 5:43 pm

Come on give us some links please!
Back to top Go down
Northern Boy
Northern Boy

Number of posts : 1236
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE   THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 6:10 pm

I think he is referring to this Leon Redbone

Back to top Go down
WineHippie
Contributor
WineHippie

Number of posts : 4229
Humor : my sides hurt ...

PostSubject: Re: THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE   THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 8:02 pm

is there any other.....?
Back to top Go down
http://doggone2009.blogspot.com
sky otter
sky otter

Number of posts : 4389
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE   THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 8:20 pm

flower

Leon Redbone Biography:
http://www.musicianguide.com/biographies/1608000932/Leon-Redbone.html

http://www.leonredbone.com/menu_frame.html
and
wikipedia below

Leon Redbone
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is missing citations or needs footnotes. Please help add inline citations to guard against copyright violations and factual inaccuracies. (April 2008)
Leon Redbone

Leon Redbone in 2007 at Massey Hall, Toronto, ON
Background information
Birth name Dickran Gobalian[1]
Also known as Leon Redbone
Born 1949 (age 59–60)[2]
Origin Toronto, Canada
Genre(s) Vaudevillian, Ragtime, Easy listening
Occupation(s) musician, songwriter, arranger, producer
Instrument(s) Guitar, Harmonica, Banjo, Piano, Throat Tromnet
Voice type(s) Bass-Baritone
Years active 197?-Present
Label(s) Warner Bros. Records, Emerald City, Rounder, August, Blue Thumb Records
Website www.leonredbone.com
Leon Redbone (August 26, 1949)[2] is an American singer and guitarist specializing in interpretations of early 20th-century music, including jazz and blues standards and Tin Pan Alley classics.

Recognized for his trademark Panama hat, dark sunglasses, and bow tie, Redbone first appeared on stage in Toronto, Canada in the mid-1970s. Virtually nothing is known for certain about his background or true identity.

Redbone has released approximately fifteen albums and earned a sizable cult following. His concerts blend performance, comedy, and skilled instrumentals. Recurrent gags involve the influence of alcohol and claiming to have written works originating well before his time (as part of the mystery of his true age).

[edit] Early life
Redbone's origins are shrouded in mystery. His birth name is believed to be Dickran Gobalian.[1] He has cited his date of birth as October 29, 1929; this wildly inaccurate date was the day of the U.S. stock market crash that sparked the Great Depression. He also claimed to have been born in Bombay during a monsoon to parents Niccolò Paganini (a composer and violinist who died in 1840) and Jenny Lind (a singer who died in 1887).[3]

[edit] Career
While living in Canada in the early 1970s, Redbone began performing in public at Toronto area nightclubs and folk music festivals. At one point, it was rumored that he was actually comedian Andy Kaufman, who sometimes took on other identities, or singer/guitarist Frank Zappa, who somewhat resembled Redbone. However, Redbone has performed since the deaths of Kaufman and Zappa, and the rumors have subsided.

In 1974, Rolling Stone magazine ran a feature article on Redbone, a year before he had a recording contract. The article described his performances as "so authentic you can hear the surface noise [of an old 78 rpm]." His first album, On the Track, was released by Warner Bros. Records in 1975.

He was introduced to a larger public as a semi-regular musical guest on NBC's Saturday Night Live throughout the late 1970s and into the 1980s. In a late-'70s appearance on the The Merv Griffin Show, he was introduced as "Andy Kaufman ...maybe or maybe not".

During the 1980s-'90s Redbone was a frequent guest on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

Redbone usually dresses in attire reminiscent of the Vaudeville era, performing in a Panama hat with a black band and dark sunglasses, often while sitting at attention on a stool, with a white coat and trousers with a black string tie.

Redbone survived the crash of a small plane in Clarksburg WV on Feb. 12, 1979 and now travels to engagements exclusively by car.[1]

[edit] Appearances in other media
Redbone has appeared in a number of areas outside of his music recording/performance career. He has made appearances in the comic strips Mister Boffo and The Far Side. He performed the theme song for the popular 1980s sitcom Mr. Belvedere, as well as Your Feet's Too Big, the theme from the syndicated sitcom Harry and the Hendersons. He appears regularly on the PBS children's show Between the Lions. He did a cover of Frank Loesser's romantic Christmas song Baby, It's Cold Outside with Zooey Deschanel for the closing credits of the 2003 film Elf. He also voiced the character of Leon the Snowman in the same film. On his 1987 album Christmas Island he performed a version of "Frosty the Snowman," with Dr. John.

He has also produced music for and appeared in television commercials, perhaps the most famous being an advertisement for Budweiser beer, in which he flies over a beach on a flying carpet, singing This Bud's for You. He also featured in a famous TV advert for InterCity (British Rail) service in the late 1980s.

[edit] Solo discography

[edit] Albums
On the Track (1975)
Double Time (1977)
Champagne Charlie (1978)
From Branch to Branch (1981)
Leon Redbone Live (1985)
Red to Blue (1985)
Christmas Island (1987)
No Regrets (1988)
Sugar (1990)
Up a Lazy River (1992)
Live! (1994)
Whistling in the Wind (1994)
Live & Kickin' (1999)
Any Time (2001)
Live - October 26, 1992: The Olympia Theater, Paris France (2005)

[edit] References
^ a b c Quill, Greg. "Redbone careful to preserve the mystery." The Star 13 June 2007.
^ a b Leon Redbone
^ (1975). Notes. On The Track [CD liner notes]. Warner Bros. Records.

[edit] External links
The Official Leon Redbone Website
Leon Redbone at the Internet Movie Database
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Redbone"

Back to top Go down
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

PostSubject: Re: THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE   THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 10:07 pm

Another one of those pesky Canadians....LOL
Back to top Go down
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

PostSubject: Re: THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE   THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 1:27 am

Great material Sky and very informative, thank you.

Yes you are right Northern Boy. And thanks for the videos

Reunite, I did not plan on making a link, as I was primarily interested in what others thought about Leon. Redbone is a rather obscure artist and for the most part is not a main stream type of musician for a lot of people. His music could be termed as novel and or unique. Next time I post a name I will link to it. lightbulb
Back to top Go down
Reunite
Reunite

Number of posts : 4993
Humor : Dry and Wet

PostSubject: Re: THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE   THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 5:41 pm

Thanks for the links everyone.

Gabe you can do whatever you like. However I can be a pesky ozzie if I've never heard of someone and want links. lol!
Back to top Go down
Gabriel
Contributor
Gabriel

PostSubject: Re: THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE   THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 7:37 pm

It would be a good idea to link to any name we may post, I thought your idea was a good one, it was just an oversite on my part mate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE   THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

THE GREATNESS OF LEON REDBONE
Page 1 of 1